ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Caffinated beverages, should I stop drinking them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tahmer  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Caffinated beverages, should I stop drinking them? Reply with quote

All my life I've been a pop drinker, and ever since AMP energy drinks came out I've been drinking all kinds of energy drinks. Lately I've been trying to not drink any caffiene. Why? Because I recently read that nervousness was a side effect of it. I am easily made nervous, so I decided to see if caffiene was the reason to this. So far I haven't had any caffiene for probably 4-5 days now, and I don't really notice anything different with me as I still get nervous easily.

Basically I'm wondering if there is any real reason I should quit drinking caffinated beverages, or if I should just go ahead and enjoy my life and drink whatever the hell I want? I know there are other reasons I could always feel nervous, but I just want to maybe rule a few things out, since certain medication never seemed to help. Also is there any other bad side effects to being a caffiene addict that I should know about?
No1ButU  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Caffinated beverages, should I stop drinking them? Reply with quote

I'd personally be much more concerned with the massive amounts of sugar associated with most of the energy drinks/cola... Caffeine isn't exactly good for you but the amount you get in one or two colas a day won't really hurt you... The sugar, on the other hand, from one or two colas/energy drinks a day is enough to replace a meal... Problem is most people don't 'replace' a meal with them, they just wind up eating 500+ extra calories a day, which isn't good for your liver or waistline... Other problem is the sugar will wreak havok with your glucose levels... So if your family has ANY history of diabetes, I might try and cut back on the sugars...

But the caffeine itself.. Yeah, I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you're drinking like 3+ energy drinks a day and/or a ridiculous amount of cola or coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have up to 500 milligrams of caffeine in a day without any harm, but you can take over a gram with out serious effects if you've developed a tolerance. For reference, a can of dew has about 45 mg, an amp has about 140 and a Redline has about 250.

xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just learn to drink in moderation, and you'll do fine. I have a 24oz Monster maybe once every month or so, it's like weight watchers, learn to eat/drink right. Start off slow and you'll get there.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only semi-relevant. If you do decide to quit, you should try mixing extraneous-sugar free fruit juices with seltzer water. Same taste (sort of) without caffeine or large amounts of sugar. Pomegranate Soda? GENIUS.
grenamuhnades  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped drinking caffeine about a month ago, because I couldn't fall asleep at night, and boy do I love it! I literally fall asleep within a minute of putting my head down, and I sleep way better. I used to fall asleep every day in every class at school, and I haven't even once since I stopped drinking it. Also, I used to have headaches everyday because I would get cravings for the caffeine, and now I barely get headaches at all. You might not be addicted like I was, but I would strongly advise anyone to stop drinking caffeine. Hell, even my favorite pop (Mountain Dew) tastes EXACTLY the same in the caffeine free version.
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a stupid idea. Why would you want to deprive yourself of Mountain Dew?
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Tahmer  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I can stop drinking it, that's not a problem, I usually drink other things like Flavored water and non caffiene pop now, but No1ButU brings up a good point. I should probably be more worried about my sugar intake, since I have gained quite a bit of weight in the past 4 years. I'm sure the nervousness thing is just a side effect of my crappy childhood... but that's another story.
KrazyKidDaHustla  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcedyourmom wrote:
You can have up to 500 milligrams of caffeine in a day without any harm, but you can take over a gram with out serious effects if you've developed a tolerance. For reference, a can of dew has about 45 mg, an amp has about 140 and a Redline has about 250.

I've taken 6 Jet Alert Pills (caffeine with no sugar) before (100mg each) in a day and nothing bad happened, I just felt awake and that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I just turned 14 early March, and I want to know if this is healthy. I'm about 5'5", 105 lbs, and am quite skinny. I don't have that much energy either. Doing like 10 seconds of running in basketball can cause me to somewhat lose my breath. I drink about 2-5 cans of pop a day, and little water. Maybe a 1 or 2 glasses worth. I get around 6 hours of sleep, and am usually constantly tired. So I'm wondering if all that pop compared to that little of water is that bad for me.
microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
I have a question. I just turned 14 early March, and I want to know if this is healthy. I'm about 5'5", 105 lbs, and am quite skinny. I don't have that much energy either. Doing like 10 seconds of running in basketball can cause me to somewhat lose my breath. I drink about 2-5 cans of pop a day, and little water. Maybe a 1 or 2 glasses worth. I get around 6 hours of sleep, and am usually constantly tired. So I'm wondering if all that pop compared to that little of water is that bad for me.
Probably. I calculated your Body Mass Index (BMI) here and it's 17.5. Anything under 18.5 is considered underweight. You're somewhat borderline, so you're not utterly unhealthy or anything. I'd suggest drinking juice or milk in the morning to start off (orange juice, apple juice, lemonade, Sunny D, w/e). You might already be doing this already, but do your best to have three meals a day too, breakfast especially; even if it means a simple granola bar or toast and OJ, as long as you have something in your stomach in the morning (except soda). Other than that, you should be fine health-wise.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microgamer2vs2 wrote:
FreeXBird wrote:
Probably. I calculated your Body Mass Index (BMI) here and it's 17.5. Anything under 18.5 is considered underweight. You're somewhat borderline, so you're not utterly unhealthy or anything. I'd suggest drinking juice or milk in the morning to start off (orange juice, apple juice, lemonade, Sunny D, w/e). You might already be doing this already, but do your best to have three meals a day too, breakfast especially; even if it means a simple granola bar or toast and OJ, as long as you have something in your stomach in the morning (except soda). Other than that, you should be fine health-wise.

Ew, I hate milk without cereal. So maybe I could tackle breakfeast (which I rarely eat on weekdays) and at least some Calcium intake. The reason I don't eat breakfast is because a: I'm not hungry at 7:00am and b: I don't like having food I ate 30min ago start to, you know, during class. >_>
microgamer2vs2  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
Ew, I hate milk without cereal. So maybe I could tackle breakfeast (which I rarely eat on weekdays) and at least some Calcium intake. The reason I don't eat breakfast is because a: I'm not hungry at 7:00am and b: I don't like having food I ate 30min ago start to, you know, during class. >_>
Ah yeah, I didn't really like Milk as a beverage by itself either. I still don't like it all that much actually, but I found drinking it with things like peanut butter (on toast) or any kind of chocolate helps, but yeah, any kind of juice would be fine to start drinking. As far as the other things you mentioned, I think it's just a matter of getting into a good and healthier routine; after a while your body will get used to expecting food in the morning etc.

Also, my apologies to Tahmer for derailing the thread a bit.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: aggrogahu
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
microgamer2vs2 wrote:
FreeXBird wrote:

You're biggest issue is that you need to get another 1-2 hours of sleep a night.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
DualHazzarD  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink loads of soda, however I'v been leaning more towards Juices like Gatorade and such these past 2/3 weeks for whatever reason.

Also I drink an energy drink once every 3 weeks on a Friday, so it doesn't really hurt me in any way. =]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: