ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hardest Games Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hardest Games Ever Reply with quote

Games that the inclusion of in this list is f**king retarded wrote:
18. Portal
16. Guitar Hero series (On Expert)
7. God of War series (PS2)

Portal, while confusing, isn't epically hard. Hell, you can find flash games on Newgrounds with more challenging puzzles. Not saying it isn't an excellent game, but it isn't one of the hardest of all time. It wasn't even one of the hardest games of 2007.

God of War? Really? Me and a friend beat the game in a few days with minimal effort. Next.

Now onto Guitar Hero. Of course to us, beating GH on expert is no big deal, but I believe the amount of people that can negates it from being on the list. I could be wrong here; I must be completely bias.
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call of duty 4? What the hell were they smoking? That game isn't bad at all on veteran.

I still haven't beat Ghost n Goblins for the NES. That game was HARD.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is COD4 on this list?

Doom should be way higher on this list. Shit is impossible.

I really don't like this list. So many things wrong with it imo.
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Ikaruga higher than Mushihime sama? Ikaruga only took me a few days to beat (on gamecube, now I can't get pretty far on XBL version)

GH deserves higher, I spent many dedicated months playing up and beating Psychobilly Freakout. Some of these games require much less dedicated play than GH. The difference is GH is addictive and hard to put down while the others infuriate the player much quicker *cough dying on final boss on Ikaruga cough*
Shaph  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously people are going to disagree with parts of this list: I half expected a bunch of early NES games to be on this list since those games usually had to be beaten with no continues, no cheat codes, etc. (Seriously, try beating the original Metroid without the internet, friend input, and see how lost you get in places like Norfair). I'd also put Mega Man 1 in over Mega Man 9 in terms of overall difficulty.

This will never be the only landscape we create.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Shaph514 Wii Friend Code: 5063917987417061
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawrspoon wrote:
How is Ikaruga higher than Mushihime sama? Ikaruga only took me a few days to beat (on gamecube, now I can't get pretty far on XBL version)

The difference is GH is addictive and hard to put down while the others infuriate the player much quicker *cough dying on final boss on Ikaruga cough*

I find shmups like Mushihimesama to be incredibly fun, and I'm sure the same would go for Ikaruga if I actually had it.

As for why Ikaruga is higher than Mushihimesama, good question. Mushi definitely takes far more skill--classic danmaku is here, where it's just straight up dodging of intricate (and sometimes, impossible) patterns. Ikaruga doesn't have that. However, Ikaruga on higher difficulties takes a lot, and I mean a lot of memorization. This is especially true for gaining lives in Ikaruga, where you basically need to memorize stages in order to chain your score properly.

Mastering of both games is not only extremely difficult, but a completely different experience despite them being in (roughly) the same genre.

Note: When I mean mastering a shmup like Mushi or Ikaruga, I mean it in the same way as how we try to master Guitar Hero. If you use more than 1 continue on the highest difficulty in a shmup, then you just aren't trying enough ;)

Another Edit: One of the biggest problems with lists like these is that the author never clarifies how he is ranking the games. Are we talking about simply beating the game on the "basic" difficulty (e.g. Medium on Guitar Hero), or are we talking about reaching a certain level of skill or completion in the game. Obviously, depending on what we are talking about, a "hardest games" list can differ greatly from one another.

Last edited by bjwdestroyer on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawrspoon wrote:

GH deserves higher, I spent many dedicated months playing up and beating Psychobilly Freakout. Some of these games require much less dedicated play than GH. The difference is GH is addictive and hard to put down while the others infuriate the player much quicker *cough dying on final boss on Ikaruga cough*

That could just evolve into a huge debate about people considering FCing (both Full Clear, and Full Combo) the game hard, people who consider just beating the game hard, people getting all 5 star on the hardest difficulty, it goes on.

Thus said I think Guitar Hero doesn't belong on a "Hardest Games Ever" list whatsoever. It belongs in its own category, like "Hardest Rhythm games to FC ever" or "Hardest Rhythm games to beat on hardest difficulty" and so on. You would have to be specific about which games, too. For example, GH:A wasn't anywhere near as "hard" as GH:3, and even if it had the same number of songs, given the difficulty of each song already on there, I think that it would still be pretty easy overall.

Anyway, looking over the list again, it makes me think about getting one of the Ninja Gaiden games on Virtual Console. I think it has 3 of them, so picking just one up would be a tough choice. I may get them all eventually, given that I think it's been described as a trilogy, but I don't know.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
daevlol  

Location: The kingdom of Performance Mode where I reside as king.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the fuck is God of War on this list? Any action game where any player action is cancel-able with a block is NOT what I would call hard. May as well have called it Hold L1.

Also bjw: Mushi and Ikaruga are easy, you know that. >_> <_<

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daevlol wrote:
Also bjw: Mushi and Ikaruga are easy, you know that. >_> <_<

I 1LC'd both Mushi and Ikaruga on their respective max difficulties. Simultaneously. And it still wasn't challenging enough, so I decided to never swap polarities in Ikaruga, forcing me to dodge 100's of bullets at once. Don't even ask me about how I tackled homing lasers.

Oh, and I was also playing both games on the same TV, with Mushi running in picture-in-picture. It wouldn't be fun to have it in the lower-right corner, so I put it in the center-bottom, right where your ship almost always is.

Last edited by bjwdestroyer on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
daevlol  

Location: The kingdom of Performance Mode where I reside as king.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is jesus in shmup form.

/me bows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjwdestroyer wrote:

One of the biggest problems with lists like these is that the author never clarifies how he is ranking the games. Are we talking about simply beating the game on the "basic" difficulty (e.g. Medium on Guitar Hero), or are we talking about reaching a certain level of skill or completion in the game. Obviously, depending on what we are talking about, a "hardest games" list can differ greatly from one another.

Exactly, and this is why all the bawww'ing of why game "X" should be in there and game "Y" shouldn't is moot. Lists like these always lead to more controversial arguing than agreement.

I think it probably makes the most sense to judge the games on beating the single-player "campaign" on the "average" difficulty. And as such, the inclusions of CoD4, Portal, and Tetris make about no sense. Like a previous poster said, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a majority of NES games make the list that had no means of saving and rather absurd game difficulties (with no way to change the difficulty). But, whatever, lists are lists. No need to get worked up.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
TyrantWave  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That entire list is bullshit to be honest.

About the shmups: Good for them getting MushihimeSama and Ikaruga, however no mention of MushihimeSama Futari or DoDonPachi DaiOuJou? (Which are both harder than the other two)? Fail.

The shmups and Ninja Gaiden series are the only games on that list I'd consider hard. =/. The rest are actually quite easy to be honest.
Sully  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
Quote:
22. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (NES)
That's only 22nd?

Christ, I tried playing that on collector's edition with a guide, and couldn't do a damn thing.

Odd- I don't recall having any difficulties with this game in 1989 when I was 13, even considering that I had no outside help aside from whatever random crap might have been my monthly issue of Nintendo Power or whatever info I could share with the handful of other gamer kids at lunch in school.

For me, the hardest game I can recall from the pre-internet era was Legacy of the Wizard on NES. I remember toiling away at that game for months before giving up, having made basically zero progress. At least (as far as I could judge from the rudimentary map) I could get close to the end on Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Tetris doesn't really belong on a list like this. Tetris basics are easy to develop, but mastery of the game (being able to play like this) takes a true expert.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
xxtimetokillxx  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude.....ToyPop..and...

TheThirdDay wrote:
God of War? Really? Me and a friend beat the game in a few days with minimal effort. Next.

Have you tried God mode? or Titan on GOW2?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: XxTimetoKillxX PSN Name: XxTimetokillxX
TyrantWave  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxtimetokillxx wrote:
Dude.....ToyPop..and...

TheThirdDay wrote:

Have you tried God mode? or Titan on GOW2?

Yes. Not hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: