ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is this a smart thing to do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seetherfan  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Is this a smart thing to do? Reply with quote

Well, I've managed to 5-star pretty much all of Easy, and getting there with Medium too

I know, I'm a million miles behind all of you lot, but here in Australia we only got the game last month (June 2006), so I've only had it for a few weeks now

I know I should be moving on to Hard, but I've decided to go back and try to 100% all of Easy, then move on and do the same for Medium before attempting to pass Hard

Is this a good idea? Am I getting in some valuable practice? Or am I just delaying the inevitable?
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are delaying the inevitable.
The jump from medium to hard is pretty big..the notes scroll at you faster...way more chords....

the jump from hard to expert I don't feel is quite as bad...excpet for a few songs.

My advice to you would be to start hard..and practice...then one day you'll go back and realize just how easy the previous two difficulties were..and you'll have improved way faster than if you just stuck with tryin to 100% medium.

besides..at hard/expert, it 'feels' more like you are really playing the song..and so the fun level jumps up.

If you can hang on hard..I definately suggest going there.
Echelar  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
you'll have improved way faster than if you just stuck with tryin to 100% medium.

QFT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to this too. I've been playing for about 6 weeks now (ya, late to the game)... when I first went through medium, I was a few days just getting past BatM. I played hard for a while, going back and working on medium stuff from time to time, and I was a week+ getting past BatM there too. Once past, I've been playing expert for the last couple of weeks, and again 3-starring most stuff, with the occasional 4 and a few 5-stars even... but again, I can't pass any of the really hard expert songs yet.

In the last few days, I've gone back and 5-starred everything on medium easily, and the first 4 sets of hard, again, mostly easily. (set 5 and 6 and some of the bonus stuff will probably be harder). Playing for the last several weeks on hard and expert has *vastly* improved my ability to play easy and especially medium and low hard.

I definitely agree with those above that you should move up and practice as much as you can at as high a level as you can. Move back to the lower level stuff if you become frustrated, or for a break, and you'll be amazed at how much better you are than when you left.

Riz.
seetherfan  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few shots at Hard, and managed to 3-star songs, and 4-star one song too

I think you're probably right.. if I practice on Hard, by the time I go back to Easy and Medium, I will find those levels alot easier

Point well made. Thanks

PS: Echelar, at risk of sounding silly here, but what is QFT?
Echelar  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seetherfan wrote:

Quoted For Truth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.
dd3mon  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest way to get better at this game is play one difficulty until it feels like you've hit a "wall" - (scores not improving very fast, making little progress) - then change difficulties. Repeat.

Even if you move down in difficulties this seems to work very well. For example you're stuck and can't pass a couple expert songs - move down to hard, try for some more 5 stars that you didn't have before until you can't get anymore easily then move back to expert. When you come back to something you haven't played in a while, but you have been playing the game and improving somewhere else, it usually seems alot easier.

Another tip is that some of my biggest perceived skill increases have come after some time off from the game. After a couple days of not playing, I'll often come back and stuff that previously seemed impossible now falls into place and I'll easily improve many of my scores.

So basically don't beat your head against a wall with something you're having trouble with, give it a fair effort then move on to try other things. You'll improve far faster that way, and many times you'll get a fresh outlook when you return to a trouble spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at that level too, can walk easy only dropping one note usually. Medium is a little trickier but I can 5 star most of them.

Jump to hard is a right bastard though. It's the whole speed, chords and orange button all at once. Currently stuck at You've Got Another thing Comin and another one in that tier.

However GTA Liberty City Stories is getting a lot of my attention now, and my g/f bought me Ratchet - Gladiator so I'm only playing a little.
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seetherfan wrote:
I've had a few shots at Hard, and managed to 3-star songs, and 4-star one song too

I think you're probably right.. if I practice on Hard, by the time I go back to Easy and Medium, I will find those levels alot easier

Point well made. Thanks

After playing Hard and Expert i find it to be a pain in the bum playing Easy and Medium now as it seems....too easy

on a side note, its good to see an Australian liking a South African band ;)
eachann  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another tip is that some of my biggest perceived skill increases have come after some time off from the game. After a couple days of not playing, I'll often come back and stuff that previously seemed impossible now falls into place and I'll easily improve many of my scores.

So basically don't beat your head against a wall with something you're having trouble with, give it a fair effort then move on to try other things. You'll improve far faster that way, and many times you'll get a fresh outlook when you return to a trouble spot.

Don't be like me. I totally know this quote to be true, yet I can never seem to put the damn guitar down and walk away.. my fingers could be bleeding and my head ready to explode but I just *know* the next one is when I'm going to nail it....

lol.
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just go ahead and jump to Hard if you can. It's much more intimidating than playing on Medium (mainly because the screen scrolls about twice as fast), it's much more fun to show off in front of people, and it's much better practice.

Echelar wrote:
seetherfan wrote:

Quoted For Truth.

And I completely thought you just screwed up when typing WTF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echelar wrote:
seetherfan wrote:

Quoted For Truth.

..first I'd seen it...I though about it and assumed it meant 'Quite F'ing True'....
seetherfan  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm figuring I might do a bit of both.. I'll go ahead and start on Hard, but if I get frustrated at it, might drop back and do a couple of Easy or Medium ones just to get back into the swing of things

Got my firsst 5-star on Hard last night! Hooray!

There is hope yet..

Mr. Green
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love Rock and Roll?

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: