ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Drums + Me = Fitness?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKirk666  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Drums + Me = Fitness? Reply with quote

Let's just cut to the chase shall we? I'm an average expert-hard drums player am A LOT better at guitar/bass (Top 100 and Top 10 on Guitar Hero: Metallica. I really don't have any motivation to get better on drums because I'm always improving at guitar/bass.

Will I eventually get in shape if I keep at the drums? I mean I'm not fat at all, I weigh 170 at 20 years old, I just can't run for the life of me. I'm starting to think about my health as I get older and would like to start becoming more physically active, I just HATE to do any type of work out...except when it comes to video games.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i know that it can be quite a workout sometimes especially on expert+ on GH:M and I think maybe DDR would be better but the drums could definitely help too.
[6:41pm] xsiick: I love PhilipinoPride
[6:41pm] xsiick: go ahead
[6:41pm] xsiick: sig that
[x] Beat the Rock Band 2 endless setlist on expert drums
[x] Get a #1 score on Scorehero Rock Band 2 expert drums (RHCP- Tell me Baby) got taken away from me
[ ] Get past a major RB2 drummer on scorehero career leaderboards (I still need to put up all my scores)
[x] Get all achievements for RB2
[ ] Get #1 on XBL leaderboards on a RB2 song for drums
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Philipino Pride
orangeglacier  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't hurt, but don't count on too much of a change.

GH5 (30/43)(Gamma Ray latest)
RB2 (39/42)(Souls of Black latest)
BootsMegamix  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel more energized and use that extra energy to actually work out.
g0dly  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna try to clear it up for you... NO. you will not get in shape by playing plastic drums. the only thing you might be able to do better is move your arms in constant repetitive motions, which will help you if you ever decide to play real drums.
zemoo  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a video game to get in better shape use DDR
When I played DDR every day back in 7th/8th grade my time in the mile went down by like two minutes.
When I stopped playing DDR (when I got my first GH game) my time in the mile went back up.
It doesn't feel like work at all because your concentrating on hitting notes, IMO.
sfal  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how you play the drums.

Playing for fairly long periods of time at or above your skill level should certainly help, but not as much as swimming 20 miles or doing a 10K.

If you start playing songs and play for 2 hours and you're drenched in sweat after about 30 minutes, that should help your cardio-vascular system. So, more fitness, no running required.

If you play for 5 minutes on beginner, eat a couple quarter pounders with cheese and a drink a milkshake, then play for another 5 minutes, not so much.

Last edited by sfal on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the drums can be an okay workout but it will in no way help you run better; it will probably help your arms out. The only game that I could imagine that would help you running is DDR or of course Wii Fit.
CaptainKirk666  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfal wrote:
It depends on how you play the drums.

Playing for fairly long periods of time at or above your skill level should certainly help, but not as much as swimming 20 miles or doing a 10K.

If you start playing songs and play for 2 hours and you're drenched in sweat after about 30 minutes, that should help your cardio-vascular system. So, more fitness, no running required.

That's my typical drumming session right there, drumming while in pain.

Do they have DDR for the XBox 360? I think they do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI to some posters, "I just can't run for the life of me." is a question about replacing running with something else, not a question about drumming making you a better runner. Of course playing tennis doesn't get you ready for a triathlon.

The point is that raising your heart rate for more than 15-30 minutes 3-5 days a week helps with being more in shape.

@ CaptainKirk666:

I think they have a generic dance game and pad for the 360.
richjohnny  

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Games can get you into shape.

Yes, drumming will get you fit. I play the drums til the point that I am drenched in sweat and my arms and right leg is saw.

However, I would like DDR, a combination of both arm and leg movement would be nice.

The only DDR I ever played was at Timezone, FAIL.

It seems there is only one Dancing game available in Australia for the 360. I may pick the game up soon, once I get the room in my house. It is DDR but just with a different name (Dancing Stage or something like that).
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intense rock drumming burns about 4-600 calories an hour. If you play on hard/expert for about 2 hours, that's a hell of a workout.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
Intense rock drumming burns about 4-600 calories an hour. If you play on hard/expert for about 2 hours, that's a hell of a workout.

In half an hour I burn about 400 Calories on the tredmill. But yeah, tredmill is just plain boring compared to games
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll tricep muscle will increase ALOT if you play expert drums. i was in a band for a little over a year and my triceps got buff after a while of playing drums

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
davidshek  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:

Intense rock drumming involves a lot more movement than RB/GH drumming does. I doubt the numbers equate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: