ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Opinions of Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ensiferous3  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Opinions of Sonic and the Secret Rings? Reply with quote

I'm very very VERY afraid to go out and buy this since Sonic 06 (I still have nightmares about it), so I'm asking you guys for your thoughts on it. I am probably going to rent it but is it even worth that?

I love Sonic games, and I've been playing them since the first one. I think the 3d Sonic games have been shit since SA2:B (hey I liked that game) and so far nothing has changed my opinion.

Is SatSR the cure? Did the Sonic Team FINALLY do something right?

Thanks...
BigE  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was the first game i bought for Wii.

I haven't been able to play it that much (on the 3rd world). The Storyline is RETARDED (maybe it's just me....but it's really really stupid).

The gameplay is alright. it's kind of fun.....doesn't really utilize the wii's capabilities though.

I find it kind of frustrating so far. I probably will use it as a trade in sometimes down the road.

Overall - C+ (but like i said, i'm only on world 3, so it might get better)

My Sig Was Apparently Too Large.
BreakManX  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, like it a lot. It's the best 3D Sonic game there is, gameplay-wise. Yeah, the plot kinda sucks, but it's the gameplay that drives this beast. Since all the 3D Sonic games have basically just boiled down to "press analog stick forward and jump over pits", they take out the "press analog stick forward" part and have you move Sonic from left to right by tilting the Wiimote. As Sonic unlocks new abilities, you'll be able to utilize them by swinging or tilting the Wiimote in different ways, none of which are really that hard to remember. It's different, I'll give it that (especially for a Sonic game), but at least it's not a re-skinned Sonic Adventure again. And it's FUN.

I'd say buy it now, but that's me. If you have any doubt, rent it first to give it a try. But as I said before, I believe it to be the best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles.
Riz  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing it now for about 3 days, 5-6 hours every night and I have to completely disagree with BigE. This game is a blast, and utilizes the wiimote (in sideways mode left hand over the + pad, right hand over the 1 and 2 buttons) in tremendously intuitive and very physical ways. Jump and Jump Cancel are handled with 2, braking with 1, and everything else is handled with physical motions of the wiimote. It's a very physical game. My arms are sore every day from having played the night before (would probably be better if I didn't overdo it for 5-6 hours at a time ).

It also has a multiplayer "party game" mode, which can also be played solo against AI opponents of configurable difficulty, that are also very physical and really good utilizations of the control system. Certain achievements in single player adventure mode also unlock additional things in party mode.

Yes, the storyline is cheese, as would be expected. The gameplay, however, is a riot, and I'd have to say of the 4 titles I have for the platform so far (that, Wii Sports, Zelda, and Tiger Woods) it is my favorite title by a slim margin over Zelda. One caveat, however, although personally I don't think it effects my ability to judge what is or is not a good game, this is the first Sonic title I've ever played, so I'm not making comparisons between it and other recent installments of the franchise (which I've heard sucked), or with some of the blockbuster wins from years gone by. I just think as a game qua game, it's a lot of fun.

B+/A- ish. I definitely don't regret buying it.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess to clarify. I don't like the tilting thing. I liked the way Wii sports goes along with what you're doing....like swinging a racket or a bat. The tilting just seems boring. I'd rather have an active role with the wii remote than moving it side to side and up and down.

Also, the camera sometimes doesn't catch up to sonic. So i'll turn a corner....and there will be a bad guy there and i'll get hit...that's frustrating.

With the multiplayer party mode...it seemed like a crappy copy of Mario Party.

I dunno...i have to give it more of a shot....but i just got Zelda, Tiger Woods, and Call of Duty....so i doubt i'll be playing sonic for a long time.

My Sig Was Apparently Too Large.
MasterAce  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem I have with the game is when you get to a wall/door that won't break down until you kill all the enemies in the area. And Sonic takes forever to back up, and you end up getting hit in the back by enemies because the camera won't change.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Perfidious Sinn Wii Friend Code: 7718621967747715
Riz  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back-Step/Fire-Step FTW.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can rent it at Blockbuster today, sounds like it isn't as bad as the reviews are making it but I still want to be absolutely sure. I wasted $60 on Sonic 06, not gonna do that again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: