ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game suggestion thread: PC Games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPooch  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

Halo 3?..
Edit: Didn't see it had 3 votes already, but here's another.
So much fun.
Especially with the mythics.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
Shikka  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3:

Metal Gear solid 4- One of the best games for the PS3 although at times it feels more like Im watching a movie than playing a game

Valkyria chonicles- If you like strategy RPGs such advance wars and fire emblem, you'll love this game

Uncharted- great game, that's really all I can say about it

Rock band series- Do I have to explain?

Street fighter 4- one of the better fighters ive played in some time. Controls are very fluid and very unique characters. Online play is good for the most part despite some annoyances I have with the way some people play on there.

DS:

Phoenix Wright series - I said it before and I'll say it again, these IMO are some of the best games for the DS and is really the reason I got the DS in the first place. Great story and characters make you fall in love with the game immediatly.

Elite Beat Agents Very fun rhythm game although you should buy a screen protector for this game. You could destroy the touch screen if you don't

bdawg95  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendations:

360:

Rainbow Six Vegas: 2 - This game is really fun to play. Really awesome cover system, the story mode is exciting and not too short. Plus, you have a populous multiplayer and terrorist hunts where people yell "Shoot the fuckers!"

Viva Pinata - Seems a little childish, but actually really fun. Have fun raising litte animal shaped pinatas. Plus, you can hit animals with a shovel.

The Orange Box - This game bundle includes Portal, Half Life 2, HL:2 Ep. 1 and 2, and Team Fortress 2 and all of the games are really just awesome, TF2 and Portal especially. Portal has a quirky sense of humor and so many puzzling-puzzles and TF2 is just a fabulous multiplayer game. Can't wait for the patches to be released.

EDIT: I support the L4D vote. And, 1000 post! woo!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions:

1) This seems like a concise version of the game reviews thread. For that reason, I wonder if a link to that thread can be added to the OP. Even though I think these threads have different games in them (you'll notice SNES dominates that thread), more information isn't a bad thing.

2) Is this mainly focused on the newer consoles, like 6th/7th gen consoles? I love the older ones (well... 3rd-5th, lol) most. Plus, who knows who amongst us may be looking to try some older games.

I'll post suggestions for Wii at a later point, at the least.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanticide wrote:
A couple questions:

1) This seems like a concise version of the game reviews thread. For that reason, I wonder if a link to that thread can be added to the OP. Even though I think these threads have different games in them (you'll notice SNES dominates that thread), more information isn't a bad thing.

2) Is this mainly focused on the newer consoles, like 6th/7th gen consoles? I love the older ones (well... 3rd-5th, lol) most. Plus, who knows who amongst us may be looking to try some older games.

I'll post suggestions for Wii at a later point, at the least.

I guess that you could say this is a more concise version of the game reviews thread - although generally I'd consider it a LOT more concise, as some people can get away with just listing off games here and there, and the more expanded reasons are usually one or two sentences. But it's a good point and I'll go ahead and throw a link to that thread in the OP.

As far as other systems go, I've been toying with that for a good while...the only thing keeping me back is that a large amount of old school game recs could explode the OP. But eh, I can always figure that out...what I'll go ahead and do (since there are a ton of possible systems) is feel free to recommend games for previous-gen systems - I won't list the system in the OP until it has a game which reaches the required vote count. I'll update this in the OP as well.

Thanks for your input! Keep the recommendations coming!
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
As far as other systems go, I've been toying with that for a good while...the only thing keeping me back is that a large amount of old school game recs could explode the OP. But eh, I can always figure that out...what I'll go ahead and do (since there are a ton of possible systems) is feel free to recommend games for previous-gen systems - I won't list the system in the OP until it has a game which reaches the required vote count. I'll update this in the OP as well.

You're definitely right about the amount of possible systems. There are a ton of systems, but I think for the most part, people will stick to the bigger ones - Genesis, SNES, consoles we still have or can get. Your idea concerning them is good, though, so I'll try and add a few older games.

Wii:

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Not gonna lie. This is my favorite Wii game by far. But this comes from an RPG fan... Anyway, it probably has the deepest story on Wii, which likely isn't saying that much. But it's pretty good regardless. And it's only $30 new (on Amazon), for some strange reason.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
It's Zelda. What more can I say? This game doesn't really break much new ground other than being the Wii's first game, but it's every bit as fun to play as most other Zeldas are.

Super Mario Galaxy
Wait, what? A Mario that wasn't a launch title? Yuppers. But the wait was worth it. You have a game that is breathtaking to look at, and one that is a very good platformer for this day and age. Easy to beat, tough to perfect - Isn't that how all Mario games are?

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
The only disappointment with this game is online play. Lag sucks, and of course it happens on all the stages I like. Otherwise it's pretty damn good. You have a huge selection of characters, items, and stages. You also have a deeper one-player mode than in previous games.

RB and GH are obvious, but if possible, get them on one of the other systems for a superior DLC selection and online play. Graphics too, if you care.

SNES:
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
I love this game to death. Want to try it without a walkthrough? Okay. But be warned, there are very tricky puzzles. The battles are simple, but you're playing this series for its storyline anyway. It's also one of the most beautiful SNES games IMO.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Some will say "typical RPG". I disagree. As with Lufia II, you've got a good storyline going here. Far less emphasis on puzzles and more on battling, though, so some bosses are pretty tough.

Earthbound
The first thing you'll notice? Humor. It's everywhere in this game. Earthbound is not one of the billion RPGs that takes itself seriously. The second thing? Modern times. Most are in the medieval era or in the future, so this is a refreshing change of pace. These things, along with others, make this a far different yet essential RPG.

Tetris Attack
This is basically Panel de Pon with characters from Yoshi's Island. It's a pretty simple (and addicting) game, but mastering chains will take a while. It has a story mode, puzzles, stage clear, and two-player modes to keep you busy.

Also, Chrono Trigger on the SNES is superior to the DS version. But I'll pick a console version over a portable one any and every day. Even so, I'd second it on either system.

I could keep going for days, but if I had to pick the games I couldn't live without on my SNES, the bolded are the ones.

N64:
Perfect Dark/Goldeneye
The eternal question: Perfect Dark versus Goldeneye. Which is better? I prefer Perfect Dark because it basically improves upon everything GE did. But why choose? Get both.

Mario Kart 64
IMO, the best entry in the series. The tracks and characters look wonderful and are fun to use, the controls are simple and perfect, and the much-maligned "hax" of MK Wii? Pretty much non-existent and everything is avoidable.

Paper Mario
The system is either starved for RPGs or I never found the good ones. Anyway, the first entry in the Paper Mario series is pretty good, even if the second improves upon it in every conceivable way. You still have the cool paper look, the humor typical of this series, and a fun game to play.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
Yet another eternal debate. But as with PD and GE, why choose? Both of these are among the best N64 games and are great in their own ways.

Last edited by Romanticide on Tue May 19, 2009 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason the PSP isn't on the list of recommended games?

I ask because a friend of mine is obsessed with his PSP, and I know no one at all besides him who likes the PSP at all. He's not a member of the SH community, so there's no need to add it because of him >_>.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
vipergtsr7588  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see the DS is lacking with a massive ZERO titles recommended

so here's a few

Mario Kart DS: I don't know many people who don't enjoy a good round of mario kart every once in a while. This one is portable works as well as any other and you can play it online. Its also kinda of old now so a used copy will be easy to find. All in all, it's a great game.

Brain Age 2: Great game for a casual gamer young and old or someone completely new to video games. You can improve your intelligence or just play a game of sudoku or a clone of Dr. Mario. Also just like their slogan says, you can play it whenever you have a few minutes free or spend a few hours playing.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TsH1rTw1tHr1fLe
ZEFFER13  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 3 is the bomb. Vote for that. CODWaW is also pretty good with nazi zombies but halo wins.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: ZEFFER13 Wii Friend Code: 210568002975
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Is there any reason the PSP isn't on the list of recommended games?

I ask because a friend of mine is obsessed with his PSP, and I know no one at all besides him who likes the PSP at all. He's not a member of the SH community, so there's no need to add it because of him >_>.

If enough people recommend a PSP game, it'll go up just any other system.

Anyhow, N64 games? Don't mind if I do...

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye - True, timeless first person shooters that set the precedent for the genre. Yes, people argue back and forth about which is better, but most everyone agrees both are amazing.

Jet Force Gemini - Rare could really pump them out for the N64, and JFG has to be one of my favorite games for the system. Tribal system got OLD quick, and was a really cheap way to have to beat the game, but otherwise very solid.

Ogre Battle 64 - Highly doubt this will ever reach 5 votes, but frankily, one of the best games ever made IMHO. It's a tactical RPG, quite possibly one of the deepest on any system - it's impossible to even scratch the surface of this game without getting a guide, and even THEN, it's near impossible to accomplish everything. 8 different endings seal the deal.

Also tossing in votes for both Zelda's, as well as Paper Mario.
boyler4  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Wii:

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves: It's a very fun casual game. If you aren't familiar with the series, what you do is play through a story type mode. For each level, you play a series of small "microgames" (5 second minigames). Throughout the level, speed gets faster and harder. It also takes advantage of the motion controls, making some of the coolest microgames I've seen on the series. In addition to the story levels, there is freeplay mode for microgames you've unlocked and various extra games. The extra games range from "Tower Tennis", where you take control of a paddle and hit a pingpong ball up a tower filled with obstacles, to "Can Shooter", where you shoot cans without getting hit by them. The game also features a multiplayer mode, where you can face off against your friends. No online though.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendations for now

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Definitely better than WaW if you want a multiplayer experience even with the lack of Nazi Zombies. Also sets you free from the repetitive WWII story lines.

Banjo-Tooie (XBLA) - For the nostalgic or those looking for a superb platformer this is a great choice. The levels are more massive than it's predecessor, it still contains a hell of a challenge (Grunty Industries anyone?), it's still funny as ever and has an option to Replay all of the mini-games and bosses for personal best times. It may cost 1200 points but for it's depth and re-playability I highly recommend it.
TheTrueSatanist  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to reccommend Command and Conquer Red Alert 3. You'll either pick out the flaws and hate it or embrace the new battle system and love it

And add a vote to Fallout 3

Some slogans for Scorehero, courtesy of Sloganizer
Scorehero. Impossible is nothing
I'd sleep with Scorehero
Some for TheTrueSatanist:
Jesus loves TheTrueSatanist
sunshine  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you make a section for multi-console games? It's annoying that all three home consoles have CoDWaW and the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 lists are almost completely identical.
benlikesthesalsa  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyler4 wrote:
For the Wii:

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves: It's a very fun casual game. If you aren't familiar with the series, what you do is play through a story type mode. For each level, you play a series of small "microgames" (5 second minigames). Throughout the level, speed gets faster and harder. It also takes advantage of the motion controls, making some of the coolest microgames I've seen on the series. In addition to the story levels, there is freeplay mode for microgames you've unlocked and various extra games. The extra games range from "Tower Tennis", where you take control of a paddle and hit a pingpong ball up a tower filled with obstacles, to "Can Shooter", where you shoot cans without getting hit by them. The game also features a multiplayer mode, where you can face off against your friends. No online though.

I rented this and the monotone voice is one of the best things ive ever seen in any video game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: