ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Oddly Uneven: Officially back at it. Working on WoR HGFC.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
I'll weigh in on RaRAN a little bit, since I can remember working on that one when I was going for 40 FCs in GH3. First of all, I strongly recommend the second position idea for the hooks; the first three notes of each of them (YBY) top out at like 19 NPS. It's really tough to go that fast with your pinky, as you've noticed, but it's not too bad if you use middle and ring and abuse the timing window.

I'd like to disagree here. I mean, I kind of agree with oddly; second position would just make this way more complex than it should be. The timing window on GH3 is so lax that 19nps isn't really a problem when you have to hit three notes. Just anchor yellow, hit blue and let go really fast, and the second yellow plays itself.

Or maybe I just have a freak pinky.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
vlad-  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:
I'll weigh in on RaRAN a little bit, since I can remember working on that one when I was going for 40 FCs in GH3. First of all, I strongly recommend the second position idea for the hooks; the first three notes of each of them (YBY) top out at like 19 NPS. It's really tough to go that fast with your pinky, as you've noticed, but it's not too bad if you use middle and ring and abuse the timing window.

I'd like to disagree here. I mean, I kind of agree with oddly; second position would just make this way more complex than it should be. The timing window on GH3 is so lax that 19nps isn't really a problem when you have to hit three notes. Just anchor yellow, hit blue and let go really fast, and the second yellow plays itself.

I just roll my fingers onto YB and quickly let go. Works every time. Its like hitting the red snake (but alot easier lol)
Acc Thread - FC #55 HiC, #56 BiF!

TTFAF 5* [x] (23/6/2009)
TTFAF 700k [ ] 631k
50 GH3X FC's [x] Welcome to the Jungle
55 GH3X FC's [x] Holiday In Cambodia
60 GH3X FC's [56] Latest - Before I Forget
fudrick  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I never noticed I was in your props section, lol. That's pretty cool that I inspire someone, even if it's just via my avatar

oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad- wrote:
Very well done on the PiB FC. It took me 2 hours of straight retrying the song to FC it.

Yeah, I did that yesterday morning, except I didn't get it then. I tend to develop mental blocks on songs after a while. When I first started playing it, the Outro and that crappy little SP phrase that is a fast strum-strum-HO-strum-strum-HO were the only places I missed. After I got decent at those sections, I started missing everywhere else. And by everywhere else, I really mean everywhere else. I started missing stuff that I normally couldn't miss if I tried. I actually 100% w/ 1 overstrum in the outro about a week ago and had to play it a crapload after that to pull off the FC. Thanks, though. I appreciate the congrats.

vlad- wrote:
And GL on the RARAN FC, I recently FCed the solo in practice

I don't know how much time I'm going to put into this one ATM. I'm killing myself on the solo. I was hitting it about 20 percent of the time a couple of weeks ago, but I can't hit it to save my life now. The chords aren't messing me up, its that crappy hook thats raping me at this point. I always get one, but not the other. My best on an actual run was a minus 3 for the whole song and it was on that hook that I missed (not uploaded yet, I'm waiting for the FC). I'm going to try to get Kool Thing and The Seeker first. I am way more consistent on those songs and I hate to kill myself over an FC that most people don't get until upper 30's to upper 40's, you know?

PiemanLK wrote:
I'd like to disagree here. I mean, I kind of agree with oddly;

Well, that's a first... Sorry, Pieman, I just couldn't help myself.

PiemanLK wrote:
second position would just make this way more complex than it should be. The timing window on GH3 is so lax that 19nps isn't really a problem when you have to hit three notes. Just anchor yellow, hit blue and let go really fast, and the second yellow plays itself.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I took Z's advice and am just anchoring green the whole way through. I was doing that before, but now I'm just pretending there are no chords at all. I'm playing it like it's just a straight single-note progression. It actually helps to visualize it that way for some reason.

PiemanLK wrote:

Yes, sir, you do. Not because you can hit stuff like this with your pinky, but because of some of the trills you play with your pinky. You just use it like it's any other finger for the most part. I mean, screw 3rd position on a trill, you know?

vlad- wrote:
Its like hitting the red snake (but alot easier lol)

You mean like just anchor red and strum as fast as you can? No...well, that's how I hit the red snake...

fudrick wrote:
Wow I never noticed I was in your props section, lol. That's pretty cool that I inspire someone, even if it's just via my avatar

It's definitely not just your avatar. I've been to your stream a few times to watch you play. I keep up with your acc thread, too. I was kinda bummed out to see you might be giving it up, but I'm glad to see you're back at it. Your avatar is bad-ass, though .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddlyuneven wrote:
vlad- wrote:
Its like hitting the red snake (but alot easier lol)

You mean like just anchor red and strum as fast as you can? No...well, that's how I hit the red snake...

Haha nah, I mean the way of hitting zig-zags GH1 style. Anchor the lowest note, hammer on Y, hammer on B, pull off B, pull off Y. Thats how i hit the hooks (from second position :P)

TTFAF 5* [x] (23/6/2009)
TTFAF 700k [ ] 631k
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderhorse was a pretty hard 5* for me. I couldn't get that galloping down but I finally did one day. There's also no "free points" section either. And the song not having chords doesn't help either. So again, nice 5* and good luck on TWiE!
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9001 wrote:
good luck on TWiE!

We must be each others lucky charms, 9001!!! I got it tonight, and I'm just tickled pink about it. I'm still smiling!!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by oddlyuneven on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="oddlyuneven"]
9001 wrote:
good luck on TWiE![/qoute]

We must be each others lucky charms, 9001!!! I got it tonight, and I'm just tickled pink about it. I'm still smiling!!!

Thanks!!!
Lol what a coincidence. Good luck on the TTFAF FC

I still can't pass TTFAF, I'm failure. And I need to 5* Take This Life, too.
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9001 wrote:
I still can't pass TTFAF, I'm failure. And I need to 5* Take This Life, too.

You should be able to get TTL for sure if you've gotten RB and TWiE. Just practice it, I know you can do it. As far as TTFAF's intro, I don't know what to tell you. There's no easy way to learn that. It's the only thing I know how to tap, and I still fail on occasion. I have combo'd it until the runs at the end a couple of times. You just have to do it over and over. It helped me to turn the hyperspeed way up and practice on slow for a while. And learn to elbow strum...

Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I remember how good that felt. If you're like me, you'll FC this song in a month or so

zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oddly Uneven: Holy Crap!!! Finally!!! TWiE 5*!!! Reply with quote

The Way it Ends is a nice five-star, I definitely remember how awesome it was when I first got that one (well, aside from the fact that my right arm really hurt ). Besides the fact that it gets you one step closer to the big goal of 70/70, it's also a big milestone when you finally figure out how to strum that burst rhythm for the first time. It means you're improving as a player, which is even more important than whatever scores you get along the way. Although of course the scores don't hurt .

Oh, I also saw this in your OP:

oddlyuneven wrote:
I think it's hard to believe how hard Six is compared to anything else on GH2. Everybody talks about PBFO and Misirlou, I think Six is tons harder than either one. I can't reach for those oranges at all in that song. I break combo constantly!!! Oh well, I'll keep working at it.

As far as I know, the people who don't think Six is the hardest five-star in GH2 are pretty few. Most of the talk about Misirlou and Psychobilly is probably with respect to just getting The Log, which only requires five-starring the main setlist. Personally, I think Six is the second-hardest five-star in the entire series up to GH3; the fingerings are awkward and the strumming is so brutal that I sometimes can't even finish an entire run. For the record though, you don't need to be able to hit the verse riffs at all to be able to five-star it; just learn the choruses (the YB RY YB GR GR stuff) solid and use star power every time you get to one if you have it.

Slightly off-topic:

fudrick wrote:
If you're like me, you'll FC this song in a month or so

Fud, nobody's like you when it comes to TWiE .
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
Nice, I remember how good that felt. If you're like me, you'll FC this song in a month or so

I'm doubting that, but I do feel like I could improve my score by A LOT on this song. I'm pretty consistently hitting almost all of the solo at this point, and the bursting has just clicked. I know my 5* score blows, but it's easy to underacheive when that's the score you're aiming for, you know? I doubt I will be working on this one for quite some time, but when I go back, I expect bigger numbers. I'm working on "moar FC's" at the moment, but will be working on higher scores at the same time b/c I'm competing (if you can call it competing ) in the LeagueHero "trial" leagues right now. I'm kinda hoping it will pop up b/c I could really improve my overall score if I were to spend some more time on it.

Oh, and yeah, it felt good. It's the 2nd best feeling I've had playing GH. Number one was beating TTFAF. I think 5*ing TWIE is a much tougher task than passing TTFAF, but...you know...it's TTFAF .

zsjostrom35 wrote:
The Way it Ends is a nice five-star, I definitely remember how awesome it was when I first got that one (well, aside from the fact that my right arm really hurt ).

Thank you, and yes it was awesome. I was really ramped up over it. I love the feeling you get when literally hours and hours of work pay off, it's so euphoric. Who needs drugs when you've got a plastic guitar?

You know, that song does hurt, so don't get me wrong, but after playing some of the GHM stuff, my stamina is much more than it used to be. It wasn't too awful bad when I was playing it the other night.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Besides the fact that it gets you one step closer to the big goal of 70/70, it's also a big milestone when you finally figure out how to strum that burst rhythm for the first time.

70/70 is oh so close, but oh so far away. I like to play TTFAF and all, but I've not spent much time with it lately. I've been playing GHM a little bit, which has been sucking most of my time. To be honest, I would have not put GH3 back in the XBox had it not been for the leagues.

zsjostrom35 wrote:
As far as I know, the people who don't think Six is the hardest five-star in GH2 are pretty few. Most of the talk about Misirlou and Psychobilly is probably with respect to just getting The Log, which only requires five-starring the main setlist. Personally, I think Six is the second-hardest five-star in the entire series up to GH3; the fingerings are awkward and the strumming is so brutal that I sometimes can't even finish an entire run. For the record though, you don't need to be able to hit the verse riffs at all to be able to five-star it; just learn the choruses (the YB RY YB GR GR stuff) solid and use star power every time you get to one if you have it.

In all honesty, I haven't played this song enough to give it a fair assessment. I know that I had a little difficulty even passing it, and I couldn't hold a combo at all. Oh, and it's never a good sign when you score less than half of the minimum 5* score on your first (and second...and third...) pass .

zsjostrom wrote:
Slightly off-topic:

fudrick wrote:

If you're like me, you'll FC this song in a month or so

Fud, nobody's like you when it comes to TWiE .

I know, right?

By the way, thanks for keeping my thread alive, guys!!! I'm scrapping around for posts these days .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the TWIE 5*!
I got 500k about 2 weeks after I got the 5* so yeah, you'll improve quick.

TTFAF 5* [x] (23/6/2009)
TTFAF 700k [ ] 631k
oddlyuneven  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad- wrote:
Congrats on the TWIE 5*!
I got 500k about 2 weeks after I got the 5* so yeah, you'll improve quick.

Thanks!!! Oh, and I doubt I'll be improving my score any time soon b/c I have GH ADD these days. I can't stick with anything right now. I'll, sit down and say, "Alright, I'm going to bang out a few GH3 FC's I'm way overdue for," go grab a guitar, and put GHII or GHM in instead. I'm having trouble sticking with my goals. Ah, who cares, I'm having a lot of fun playing these games right now, and I might even jump for Rock Band 2 soon.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 3 of 32

Jump to: