ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Les Paul: A dying breed of controller?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddyf  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: The Les Paul: A dying breed of controller? Reply with quote

I've always been an LP fan and all my biggest GH achievements were done on LPs. Unfortunately my LP stopped working a while ago (it won't turn on. I'm not sure why, but I did several mods to it, so it's probably my fault), so I had to start using my WT guitar. It was unreliable, especially the strumming--it would randomly overstrum when the strum bar moved back into neutral position (even if I tried to strum very lightly) and I think it missed strums sometimes too. Well, by and by my WT guitar broke too. The blue button is completely nonresponsive. I think I could fix it, but I haven't opened it up to see (my warranty's long expired anyway).

But to get to the point... when my second and last working controller broke, that gave me an excuse to go out and buy another one. I wanted to buy a Les Paul because it's my favorite controller and by far the one that I'm best on. But get this: I checked Wal-Mart and two different GameStops and neither had any standalone LPs for the 360, or even GH3 bundles for that matter. They both had a few left for PS2 and PS3, but none on 360. I asked the guy at GameStop to check if they were getting any shipments, and he couldn't even find the controller in their system.

I managed to get lucky. I checked Toys 'R Us and they had no standalone LPs, but they had ONE GH3 bundle left. It was on clearance for $50. I bought it and now I have another copy of GH3 that I have to sell or something. But it looks like places are trying to get rid of all their GH3 bundles and LPs never to sell them again. And that's sad. Will we be stuck using the WT guitar, which is expensive because of the extra touch pad hardware that I haven't even used since the day I got WT (not to mention the unreliable strum bar)?

It'll be a sad day when there are no more new LPs on the market.

Guide to the Tick Engine in Guitar Hero 3

Current GHIII Goals:
700k TTFAF (current score: 661k)
DESMO56  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same goes for my Gamestop and EB games, when i was looking theyy had tons of used ones for ps3, no new ones anywhere and none for the 360. i found a few standalones at walmart, but of course i didn't need them then
Let's stop trolling now

No
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DESMONDD56
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xplorer users are in the same situtation. Luckily for us they've been available at ridiculously low prices lately so we could "stock up." I would recommend that if you see another one you pick up a spare or two.
guitarheroloover  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the World Tour guitar, just try turning off the slider for the overstrumming problem

30+ FC's on GHWT
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they not realize that the Les Paul is by far the best guitar ever for the 360 (except for the whole detachable neck thing)? Honestly, the WTar is crap (strum bar problems and select button was moved for absolutely no reason) and the X-plorers have shitty select buttons and a whammy bar that takes a split second to actually start whammy (if you just care about FCs and not high scores, than X-plorers are fine, but I play for score). And don't even get me started on the RB guitars.

I still find it funny that the ONLY guitar that actually works is my red SG that I bought USED a LONG time ago. The only thing that ever went wrong with them was an occasional broken whammy bar, which can be fixed with an elastic and nothing else. Is it that hard to just create a Les Paul with no detachable neck and sell it to the public?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay.

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
Do they not realize that the Les Paul is by far the best guitar ever for the 360 (except for the whole detachable neck thing)? Honestly, the WTar is crap (strum bar problems and select button was moved for absolutely no reason)

Hey, I like my WTar.

But to be brutally honest the situation is rather different here. There are many Les Pauls on sale complete with boxes for the 360. But that being said, the LP will probably be called the weapon of choice for next-gen (or current-gen now? I don't know) rhythm gamers. Hardwire the thing, and it is beast.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
tendedjoshSH  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont ask me how but i got lucky my WTar has been working since i got it for christmas and ive did some good shit with it too

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ever tried looking for RB2 drums recently? And those are relatively new.
eddyf  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOO, don't hardwire the LP. I need the detachable neck. I transport my controllers back and forth between home and college, and without the detachable neck they wouldn't fit in my luggage. What they should do (even though they probably won't) is make LPs with a neck connection like the WT guitar's.

I saw a bunch of cheap X-plorers (like $10). I did buy one... but I can't take it to school when the summer's over because it won't fit.

guitarheroloover - I turned off the touch pad as one of the first things I did. It's definitely the strum bar. I think I'm going to try replacing the switches with RadioShack ones and see if it fixes the problem.

As for eBay... when that's the last option left I'll consider it, but I'm wary of buying "like new" controllers or "used but in good condition." The people selling these controllers are not hardcore GH gamers--they can't tell when a controller is unreliable. I even saw a controller for sale from a very reputable seller, and in the description it said "When we got the controller, it had a rubber band holding the neck, but we don't know why. We took it off and it stayed in just fine" or something along those lines.

Guide to the Tick Engine in Guitar Hero 3

Current GHIII Goals:
700k TTFAF (current score: 661k)
Rawrspoon  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venim619 wrote:
Yeah, ever tried looking for RB2 drums recently? And those are relatively new.
My best buy is overstocked with those, there was about 12 in stock today.

And I really like my RB2 strat, thank you very much. I liked the weight of the LP, but my fingers are slower on the LP than on the strat.
DoubleDs  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddyf wrote:
NOO, don't hardwire the LP. I need the detachable neck. I transport my controllers back and forth between home and college, and without the detachable neck they wouldn't fit in my luggage. What they should do (even though they probably won't) is make LPs with a neck connection like the WT guitar's.

I've heard many complaints about the WT guitar dropping notes because of the neck connection. Most of those people thought it was a strummer problem until they tightened the neck. It is not as bad as the LP connection, but it has similar issue.

You can still keep the detachable neck and hard wire the LP. Just use longer wire or put in the slotted electrical connectors(don't know the technical name) that you can pull apart when you want to detach the neck. It would probably be more prudent to just use shorter wire and forget about the detachable neck.

You must have really small luggage if it won't hold a plastic guitar. Let the neck stick out of the side so you can show everyone at college how cool you are.

Anyway, the LP is tight when you finally get it hard wired. Just make sure that you shim your strummer while you have it open. You don't want to have to take the back off once you get it wired.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a standalone Les Paul for sale here in... so long I can't remember. Just now, looking at five different UK-based online retailers, they're out of stock everywhere. Even the GH3/Aerosmith guitar bundles are out of stock... so if I want a new guitar (hint: I do) it's gonna have to be third party because I absolutely flat-out fucking refuse to buy another WT guitar - the one I got in the bundle was a pile of shit (currently in pieces until I can be bothered to fork out half the price of a brand new GHWT bundle for two new switches for the strum mechanism and a soldering iron to fit them with) and I've used two equally bad ones elsewhere.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
sean2490  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!!!

I seriously hope that the LP never goes out of production. It may not be the most reliable, but it's the best guitar on the market (imo).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try finding an SG...

I don't think they make those any more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: