ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rumor I heard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genga  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff wrote:
ES942 wrote:
any other songs we should know about?

Not unless you want an additional list of songs that aren't in Guitar Hero. I have, however, thought about testing the feasibility of adding custom songs to the set list. If the main executable doesn't perform checksums or hashes then in its relatively easy to add an additional file entry to the archive or to modify the data of an existing file. It is pretty straightforward to create the VGS format audio track. Creating the MIDI note data is somewhat of a pain without a custom editor but not that big of a pain if the song being converted is already in MIDI format. There are WAV to MIDI converters which may be sufficient enough to convert a monophonic lead guitar track into MIDI data that doesn't require too much fixing up. Creating the MIDI track for the stage effects and the band animation is doable as well but creating the hand map data for the guitar fingering animation would probably be an exercise in pain.

To play new songs one would need a mod chip, Swap Magic or some other means of allowing DVD-R discs to be played. A copy of the Guitar Hero disc with a modified archive file would be required.

I was thinking about that, but I cant figure how to extract the midis, how did you do it?
Riff  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote my own code to extract files from the archive given a file name as input. The archive format supports directories too so my code will always retrieve the first file with a given file name but it works and it would be easy to add directory support.

There is at least one utility for manipulating game archives that can extract the Guitar Hero files. I don't remember the name. An alternative is to simply open up the archive file in Hex Workshop (or some other hex editor that is capable of streaming from disk) and searching for the string "MThd" to find the start of each MIDI file. I believe that in all cases, the VGS audio files follow the midi files so you would select everything from "MHdr" up to the character just before "VgS!". In any case the MIDI files end in the string 0x6E 0x64 0x00 0xFF 0x2F 0x00.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(not sure if this follows the theme here) how possible would it be for a web interface type thing to be designed where you input all of your own notes for a song? you come up with a list of 30 of your own songs that you would like to play, design the note layout, send it in to the game's creators, and they create a custom guitar hero cd for you. can this work? all copyright violations aside, of course.
Genga  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you think they would take the time to do that though?
Riff  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licensing issues aside, custom DVDs would be possible but the cost would be quite high. One issue are that each new song requires animation data for both the guitar fingering and the band activity This data takes a non-trivial amount of time to create. Another issue is that vocal track data is required to anmiate the singer's mouth. These tasks are much easier completed by Harmonix/Wavegroup who already have the equipment needed to capture the data in a timely fashion. The biggest issue is probably the fact that custom tracks eliminates the possibility of mass duplication. The cost of a custom DVD would probably be several hundred dollars due to the labor involved in creating the animation data, recording the songs and pressing a custom DVD or CD.

A much more feasible idea is to have Harmonix licensed songs as usual but add an editior to save custom note data for each song. This would be easily accomplished by simply letting the user toggle the existing expert level notes on and off and allowing the colors to be changed. The custom note data would be so small that the extra data for a set of 50 songs would probably fit in a 128K memory card region.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: