Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Full album Epics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayreon's The Human Equation is the best concept album I've heard this side of Colors. For those who don't know it, it details the psychological and emotional rebirth of an angry and embittered man following a near-death experience, and it's well worth a listen, forced though it often seems.

It seems that if you make a new last.fm account and tell it your favourite genre of music is progressive metal, it will play "Day Sixteen: Loser" relentlessly. This is one of the reasons the album is as well known as it is.

My avatar is a hastily-made MS Paint parody of the album art of The Human Equation.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Parama  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Ayreon's The Human Equation is the best concept album I've heard this side of Colors. For those who don't know it, it details the psychological and emotional rebirth of an angry and embittered man following a near-death experience, and it's well worth a listen, forced though it often seems.

It seems that if you make a new last.fm account and tell it your favourite genre of music is progressive metal, it will play "Day Sixteen: Loser" relentlessly. This is one of the reasons the album is as well known as it is.

My avatar is a hastily-made MS Paint parody of the album art of The Human Equation.

Oddly enough, Loser is one of my least favorites on the second disc. But yeah, this is probably an album you should get if you don't already have it. Best Ayreon album conceptually and musically!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
Anything and everything by Dream Theater.

I was looking down the thread to see if anyone had already posted this.

I didn't have to look far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
catfish7  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you prog rockers... I'd go with Southern Rock Opera by The Drive-By Truckers. Good shit Miroki.
Twang  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Mastodon, Blood Mountain also falls under this category.

Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf is a must. There's no overarching story per se, but it's based on the concept of driving through the desert.

Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson is also pretty good, but you lose a bit of the effect if you don't know French. It's about a 40 something year old millionaire who runs over a young (talking like 16 or 17) girls bike and eventually falls in love with her.

And if you're really looking for epic stuff, you're looking in the wrong genre, man. Find yourself Wagner's Ring Cycle (four whole operas). It is epic incarnate. But again, you lose a bit of the effect if you don't know German (or whatever language it's in). I'm sure you've heard Ride of the Valkyries before, that's just one tiny part in the whole thing. Most operas tell epic stories. Wagner is certainly not the only one, and maybe not even the best.

Coheed and Cambria's entire discography is part of an overarching storyline. It is obviously still a work in progress, but I think it deserves a mention in this thread.

Deltron 3030. I know it's cool for kids these days to hate rap, but this album alone makes it a respectable genre, which is not to say at all that it's the only good rap album. It's about a man (Deltron Zero) in the year 3030 (hence the title) where the world is ruled by some corporation, and he raps about his conquests and stuff, rap battles to save the universe. All with really good beats produced by none other than Dan The Automator. You may have heard Del's rapping before, he was the rapper in Gorillaz' Clint Eastwood, and is one of my personal favorites.

Sleep's Dopesmoker (also known as Jerusalem in segmented form). 1 song, 1 hour and 6 minutes. Stoner metal incarnate. It's about holy priests in Jerusalem on a weed run.

Hank! On Ice! is a project by a friend of mine, which he recorded for an RPM challenge (where you record an album in a month). It's about a sea captain on a whaling expedition. The sparse lyrics speak of dudes being dead and walking around Sea World all day. I don't know the rules about posting download links here, but I have all the songs uploaded to YouTube, and included a link in the description of every one of them. Also includes a folk/bluegrass cover of Outkast's Hey Ya!

Graf Orlock's Destination Time series aren't really concept albums, but their self-coined "cinema-grind" style uses 80s/early 90s action movie samples to paint a bleak picture of the future.

Gojira's From Mars to Sirius follows a character who sees the world end and sets out on a journey to find the Flying Whales so they can teach the character to fly. Said character flies to Sirius C, where the 'Master Race' teaches him to restore life to his home planet. [pretty much c/p'd from Wiki].

The Lord Weird Slough Feg's (or just Slough Feg) album Traveller is based on the board RPG of the same name.

Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters. According to the vocalist/guitarist: "the concept is about man and bear in pre-historic times, and their struggle for better or worse. Man won-out with his cunning and intelligience."
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospice - The Antlers

Yeah, I'm advertising the hell out of this album, but I'm the only one and it deserves it. It's a concept album with deep themes of every emotion one could feel. It's about a husband that has to watch his wife die, slowly, of bone cancer in the hospital and the effect that it has on one hospice. The album is deeply sad, but the band doesn't want sadness to be the only emotion taken from it. I recommend this to any and everyone. I would not just listen to any one song, as the band has chosen the song Two to be a single, just because the album fits so masterfully well together.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
Yewb wrote:

Oddly enough, Loser is one of my least favorites on the second disc. But yeah, this is probably an album you should get if you don't already have it. Best Ayreon album conceptually and musically!

Me too, although "Sign" is my least favourite song from the album in its entirety, and the album does lose something in the last few songs. It was finshed very hurriedly. Loser was the first single from the album, though, and I think the only other single was Love.

My favourite from the album is probably Trauma. Great song.

It really says something about an album when you can say "it has eleven lead vocalists across the whole album and James LaBrie is the worst".
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah how has this not been mentioned yet?

Ghost Reveries - Opeth.

Seriously, I put it up there amongst the top 3 death metal albums of all time. And easily one of the most epic prog albums ever. The switches it makes between the light and heavy moments of the album (not so much happy and sad, seeing as the entire album is depressing, except to an extent Isolation Years).
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
NightmareJG  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BNghfreak12 wrote:
The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails.

That is all you need.

This.

Truly an epic. A roller-coaster ride of an album.

BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:

Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf is a must. There's no overarching story per se, but it's based on the concept of driving through the desert.

If were referring to these kinds of albums, Absolution by Muse is a great one. Just like SftD, it doesn't have an overarching story, but it does have a theme which is the apocalypse. The music itself is very exciting and brilliant, and its over-the-top qualities really fits the album.
boberta13k  

Location: Searching for the White Whale in the ocean, and I swear I will find him and venge my ivory leg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
Speaking of Mastodon, Blood Mountain also falls under this category.

i didnt ever get the story behind blood mountain. i've listened to it a hundred times but i still dont get it. at least leviathan felt more together for me, especially hearts alive totally made the album.

on topic though: i didnt really catch the story in sgt pepper's, i dunno if anyone can explain but if there's something worth tellin i'd gladly listen.

and sorry for the war about floyed, and truth be told im not that much of a floyed fan, only knowing it has a story from one of my friends telling me about it.

i'll definately look into the NIN thing, and most likely the dream theater stuff, but dream theater can get kinda prolonged ( with their 30-40 minute epics and all.....)
iam1337  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about American Idiot by Green Day
The storyline of Jimmy is pretty good IMO
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckethead - Inbred Mountain

GENIOUS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam1337 wrote:
How about American Idiot by Green Day
The storyline of Jimmy is pretty good IMO

stealing my ideas.....

plus American Idiot is a Rock Opera.

and speaking of which..

the poster for the musical.

and heres another album.
Rickjames730  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meddle, and Wish you were here = awesome. I never really liked The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon really gets too much gratification compared to some of Floyd's other albums.

Symphony X has 'The Odyssey'; it's pretty epic.

Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche is pretty good too.

Edit: 1000 posts and I haven't been on this site in a looooooooong time.

-Insert religious belief/disbelief here.- -Insert stupid comment about said belief.-
Seriously I'm tired of seeing those types of signatures. Nobody cares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: