ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Final Fantasy thread.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatSombrero wrote:
8 is horrible, don't play that game.

I loved it. Very fun if you don't purposely break the system.

I should mention my favorite is FF7. (Yup, I'm one of those guys. :P) I don't think it's the greatest game of all time or anything; far from it. It's just my personal favorite, and no, it's not the first Final Fantasy I ever played. My 2nd favorite right behind that is FF4.

Also, why break the system to beat the ultimate eeapons? What's the fun in that? Beating the weapons without Mime and Counter-Mime provide more challenge and more fun.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Sottle  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've beaten the Weapons using various strategies and handicaps, RPG challenges are kinda my thing :P

Doesn't change the fact that the option is there and that it means that they shouldn't be anywhere near a list of hardest bosses.

Also, it's not breaking the system, the system is already broken, it's just using it to potential.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatSombrero wrote:

9 and 10 may be broken as well, but I've only played those one time each. Actually, the only one I've played that is definitely NOT broken is 4.

10 is actually really well-balanced throughout. Every new zone you encounter is balanced to be easily beatable with the right strategies at the stats your party is likely to have as you enter the zone for the first time. For example, until quite late in the game one hit from Auron is barely sufficient, but sufficient nonetheless, to kill most armoured fiends, at the rate of level advance you'll progress through the game as as a first time player.

Unfortunately, this does make the game extremely easy the second time through, because the only thing stopping you losing battles in the midgame is your own ineptitude. If you use the character-swap feature well, and know which fiends drop to which forms of attack, you're done. It's as simple as that.

In the endgame of X, you gain the ability to - with time and money input - totally revamp your characters' stats, and fight a few dozen totally OP bosses along the way. It does seem a lot more like a sandbox endgame, and I love it.

There's not really a trace of brokenness in the game, that I can think of, in the way that you mean. The endgame is designed to cater to massively OP characters, especially in the PAL version with Dark Aeons and Penance.

Could you tell I'm a massive FFX fanboy?
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
beingmused  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:

10 is actually really well-balanced throughout. Every new zone you encounter is balanced to be easily beatable with the right strategies at the stats your party is likely to have as you enter the zone for the first time. For example, until quite late in the game one hit from Auron is barely sufficient, but sufficient nonetheless, to kill most armoured fiends, at the rate of level advance you'll progress through the game as as a first time player.

It was interesting playing FFXII after FFX, because while FFX is almost absurdly well tuned and balanced between the enemies and your character progress, FFXII (intentionally) focuses on chaos and MMORPG-like unpredictability and change. The fact that the 2nd monster you see is like level 40 is the biggest testament to that. I think both games have designed the monster levels and layout in a very artful sense, but in opposite ways.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: beingmused
TheGreatSombrero  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I loved it. Very fun if you don't purposely break the system.

I really like you hellashes, but do not agree. FF8 is painfully bad, and there is very, very little I like about that game.

All hail Sombronia, a land I didn't make up.
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:

I should mention my favorite is FF7.

It's fine. My favorite personally is 9, then 7, then 10, then 6, then 3, then 4, then 1, then 5, then 8, then 2, then 12.

To keep this thread running so it won't be just a regular bump, what are your thoughts on Final Fantasy: Dissidia? Also FF: 13 is coming out soon. Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Opinions?

Final fantasy 4,6,12 and Tactics make me glad to be alive.

All hail Sombronia, a land I didn't make up.
ArsenicSauce  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to GameInformer's Top 200 Games of All Time list that was in the latest issue, the best Final Fantasy's are 6, 7, 10, 2, and 12 in that order. Not having played 3/5 of those I can't say whether or not I agree, but I do say I am disappointed by the the lack of 9. On the list FF6 was named 8th greatest game of all time and out of those top 8 that were used in the cover designs of the issue, it is the FF6 cover that's on my copy. I would've preferred Mario or GTA3 but this one isn't bad.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Arsenik Sauce
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get a lot of aggro for this but genuinely...FF8 is my favourite of the series. I like the gameplay and the storyline and i don't take advantage of the weird leveling system. Besides FF8 was the first time i actually felt a sense of achievement from a FF game when i beat omega weapon even if i did spam heroes for the whole battle

I have played most of the FF's btw and i'd say FF10 comes in 2nd (don't like FF12) but genuinely i'd say FF8 is my favourite game of all time.

.......yeah my avatar kinda gives it away a bit too

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirdkoopa wrote:
HellAshes wrote:

It's fine. My favorite personally is 9, then 7, then 10, then 6, then 3, then 4, then 1, then 5, then 8, then 2, then 12.

To keep this thread running so it won't be just a regular bump, what are your thoughts on Final Fantasy: Dissidia? Also FF: 13 is coming out soon. Opinions?

oh dude, 9 was terrible, i loved 8 though, it was my first FF, and my first RPG. its probably my favorite, followed by 12, then 10, then 7, then 9. and although i really do like 7, especially the materia system, i really felt as though 7 was extremely overated. im not saying it wasnt any good, just overated
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so excited for FF13!!!

misanthrope1 wrote:
Thirdkoopa wrote:
HellAshes wrote:

oh dude, 9 was terrible, i loved 8 though, it was my first FF, and my first RPG. its probably my favorite, followed by 12, then 10, then 7, then 9. and although i really do like 7, especially the materia system, i really felt as though 7 was extremely overated. im not saying it wasnt any good, just overated

I had a lot of fun with 8, too... I really enjoyed the storyline, admittedly. I started a file and a short ways into it I quit playing, but came back a few years later... and when I did thought that game was hard as shit for a long time, until the second disc, when I realized I could JUNCTION
SPOILER: I actually thought it was kinda sweet when your main character floats off into space to save that girl. What I DID NOT LIKE though, was when you get to that final castle... I went there way too early expecting to do some serious leveling upon arrival, and they take away your ability to use items, summons, etc... the ony thing you can do is attack. Even if you leave, you can't get them back until you go and defeat the bosses to win back your own abilities... some of which are tougher which means you have to do them in order, at least to a certain extent. It was fairly frustrating, and prevented me from finishing the game... because even after the junctionless grind through disc one, I just hated the idea of losing my abilties so much that I lost interest...
misanthrope1  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
I am so excited for FF13!!!

misanthrope1 wrote:
Thirdkoopa wrote:
HellAshes wrote:

I had a lot of fun with 8, too... I really enjoyed the storyline, admittedly. I started a file and a short ways into it I quit playing, but came back a few years later... and when I did thought that game was hard as shit for a long time, until the second disc, when I realized I could JUNCTION
SPOILER: I actually thought it was kinda sweet when your main character floats off into space to save that girl. What I DID NOT LIKE though, was when you get to that final castle... I went there way too early expecting to do some serious leveling upon arrival, and they take away your ability to use items, summons, etc... the ony thing you can do is attack. Even if you leave, you can't get them back until you go and defeat the bosses to win back your own abilities... some of which are tougher which means you have to do them in order, at least to a certain extent. It was fairly frustrating, and prevented me from finishing the game... because even after the junctionless grind through disc one, I just hated the idea of losing my abilties so much that I lost interest...

well yeah i think the whole point was to have a climax in a game to be a little different. the trick is to figure what order you need to fight all the bosses. now for the hard part: some of the puzzles to unlocking the bosses(which you will want to do in order to unlock your abilities) are extremely confusing and complicated. one that comes to mind is the trauma puzzle, with the clock and the paintings. if you need some help on how to figure this out, let me know. i dont remember the solution though
Silly  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for FFX-2? Personally, I had more fun playing that game to absolute completion than I ever did with FF12 (this could well be because I was far more interested in the development of the storyline from 10 than the happenings of 12), or maybe I'm just odd. 112'ing that game was extremely rewarding.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy 12 - Yiazmat is my favourite boss battle in any of the PS2 titles, and overall I enjoyed the similarities of the gameplay to FF11 (which didn't get the love it deserved - while not as good as WoW in some respects, it was a great online game in its own right, and at a fair price too)

I completely agree with everyone who is posting love for FF8 - the storyline is fantastic (possibly my favourite of all the games), and the final challenge of Ultimecia's castle, and the battle that ensues at the end, is my single favourite part of the entire series.

FF9 I also enjoyed, not on the same level as 8, but certainly better than 7 (which I do not understand the almost universal love for, at all), however Tetra Master is the best minigame I've ever played (and I wish I still had my PlayOnline details so I could continue to play it through that)

/me ducks the inevitable barrage of rocks for admitting to liking FFX-2

I've been wanting to pick up FFX-2 Last Mission and FF12 IZJS for that little bit of extra gameplay - but I cannot read a word of Japanese. Anyone played/own either of these who can give me an opinion on whether or not it'd be worth my time getting them? I believe I'm right in saying that an English patch has been developed for IZJS, but nothing as far as LM goes...

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatSombrero wrote:
9 and 10 may be broken as well, but I've only played those one time each.

Seemingly this hasn't been covered yet... 9 isn't too healthy. Thievery, Shock, Dragon Crest and Frog Drop are all crazy, and Lv5 Death makes mincemeat of Grand Dragons. Of course, it's all balanced by the fact that none of the bosses have that much HP anyway (Quale is the most, at 65535) and the challenge isn't your own durability so much as working out a viable strategy. Nowhere is this more apparent than the battle with Ozma, who is not obviously hard (55535 HP? KOTR did over double that BAWWWWW) but becomes so because of the crazy unpredictable speed system, Meteor and Curse (Mini > Shock, and it can't really be defended against easily), and the fact that you can't ever break the 9999 barrier.

It's been noted elsewhere already, but 10 is generally okay - until you get to the Monster Arena, at which point everything falls apart.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
misanthrope1  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well FF10 does have somethings that set it apart from the others, 1: first and foremost, it has Auron, hands down the absolute thowdest character in all of FF. 2: it has blitzball, while this game would certainly never stand on its own as a game, it is nice to play. 3: the monster arena, this gives a real reason to go back and play all of the areas and get all of the monsters, plus, if you complete it, you get aurons ultimate weapon, i dont remember the name of it, but i remember thinking "OMFG ive got the best weapon in FF history" after i did. and finally 4: the crystal and orb level up system, while its not the best, its certainly one of the better ones, allowing you to completely customize all of your characters however you want, if, course, you have the time and patience to go through the grid and get all the lv 3 and 4 keys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: