ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Un-Official "Opinions on DJ Hero" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beingmused wrote:
Grimnir wrote:
For high scores, yes, you will rewind about as soon as you get one <_< That is the key to ultra high scores.

but good news: in multiplayer mode the rewind is disabled. So you can play vs and pwn ppl without rewinding constantly. And then just not rewind in solo play ^_^

Sadly playing vs people and "pwning" them is not something that interests me. I assume there's no cooperative multiplayer?

There are 2 co-op modes. DJ/DJ and guitar/DJ. And yes rewind is disabled there as well. Co-op is local for this game, but I'm hoping when/if there is a DJ Hero 2, we will see online co-op.

As for rewinds breaking the flow... to be honest I disagree. The very nature of this type of music are already a hybrid of multiple things with scratches and effects constantly. When I perform a rewind it doesn't make the song sound bad, but that's just my opinion.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Grimnir  

Location: OMG you live in ut or play on psn? add me lets play!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends... most of the songs, yeah rewinds are pretty fitting. But sometimes it sorta breaks the tempo of the song <_< I can see why some ppl would rather not have rewinds when they are trying to listen to a song. That's why some of my youtube vids are me playing without euphoria, rewinds, or effects dial.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game is great, my 2 favorite genres have always been Hip Hop/Rap and Rock so I love all the songs. Except for Monkey Wrench vs Sabotage...I thought that one was crap for some reason But I think the presentation and gameplay is great. The one obvious improvement is the menus...but besides that I think the sort features are just fine, it just takes a little bit of adjusting if you're too used to how the RB or GH song sorting works.

I like the feel of the turntable, it feels and works a LOT better than other 1st gen peripherals (RB1 drums suckage anyone?). DLC is a little expensive but it's understandable why it is...they use TWO songs PER mix so it turns out to you paying for more songs than in RB/GH. For now though I'll stick to adding DLC to RB, maybe if they release a lot of DLC I'll get some, if not I'll just wait for a possible DJH2.

On the whole rewind issue, for most songs it does fit it at one part of the song or more. But yeah, at times I feel like there's absolutely no need for it, but it's up to you to activate it or not. I like keeping it around for when I miss some euphoria. Rewind and you get to try again, quite a handy tool for some of the really tough songs. Sure you don't get the extra points you normally would since you screw up but euphoria is worth a lot more than a few notes doubled in points during a rewind .
Elite Draconian on XBL, I have about 500 or so DLC. I mostly play expert drums, and I'm pretty good. Add me if you want, just let me know when you do though. Only good Expert players though please...I like seeing gold stars when I play :-D.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Elite Draconian
nesdude  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a chance to finally go hands on with the Best Buy demo, and I walked away feeling... strange.

For whatever reason, my right hand ached after playing the demo. It's exceptionally hard for me to press the button and scratch at the same time. The controller itself felt pretty solid, all things considered. The buttons had a weird feel to them, but pressed easily and smoothly. I'm still torn on the crossfader, it's tricky to use (mostly just to center correctly) but I managed a few 4x combos on both medium and hard, so I started to get the hang of it.

Hand pain aside, I think I'll jump on this when it hits $99. Pretty fun from the few minutes I got to play with it. Reminded me of the days of GH1 where I sucked, it felt good to really suck at a music game again.

toymachine wrote:

Welcome to Scorehero. Where we dissect sections of Dragonforce songs so the official chart can disappoint us in some minute way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: nesdude128
Grimnir  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesdude wrote:
I just had a chance to finally go hands on with the Best Buy demo, and I walked away feeling... strange.

For whatever reason, my right hand ached after playing the demo. It's exceptionally hard for me to press the button and scratch at the same time. The controller itself felt pretty solid, all things considered. The buttons had a weird feel to them, but pressed easily and smoothly. I'm still torn on the crossfader, it's tricky to use (mostly just to center correctly) but I managed a few 4x combos on both medium and hard, so I started to get the hang of it.

Hand pain aside, I think I'll jump on this when it hits $99. Pretty fun from the few minutes I got to play with it. Reminded me of the days of GH1 where I sucked, it felt good to really suck at a music game again.

lol, they should have marketed it as "DJ Hero: Starting from Scratch" hahaha ^___^

the cross fader is difficult to center if you try to get it to the center click.. If you play again, just pull it back a little from the edge until it cuts to the center on screen. This helps 2000%

Also when scratching, what I do is sorta pinch the edge of the platter between my thumb and index... applying the pressure like that allows me to scratch without pressing too hard on the platter. This also helps me get blue scratches, by still doing the scratching with my index and thumb, but holding the blue down too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what X+ would look like on this game...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we have IS ex+...

I think gh could take a lesson here, and introduced directional struming into gh as a guitar / bass "ex+"

Imagine if your strum pattern were forced by the song chart?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in this game so I drove out to Best Buy to give the demo a try. Being able to FC just about every song in the GH series I had high hopes for being instantly good at this game, but I was shot down instantly . I played (i think) Give It To Me Vs. Hollaback Girl on Hard and man this game is "Hard as Fuck" lmfaooo.

It's actually a good feeling to be not good at a music game, it almost reminds me of when I first picked up Guitar Hero 2 and I couldn't play a single song. I'm looking forward to getting this game on Christmas.

(btw I got a 1.5 star on that song :p)
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
I think what we have IS ex+...

I think gh could take a lesson here, and introduced directional struming into gh as a guitar / bass "ex+"

Imagine if your strum pattern were forced by the song chart?

Now THAT'S an idea... what I do now is upstrum everything, so I'd be fucked on guitar but rock on bass. Directional strumming at least could be a cool challenge on certain songs. :O

@ Davesterio: I know right? It was so much fun to suck hard and "start from scratch" (pun definitely intended) at a rhythm game. At least from a GH background you have a sense of rhythm and how the game works. You'll probably pick it up soon enough.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
kaflagemeir  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Best Buy demo and I loved the game, but not the $120 price tag. :P

I didn't have time to do all of the tutorials, but I got the gist of it. However, I didn't understand what it meant during a phrase when the red button was filled in with a design (not the scratching one). It seemed like when I held the red button down it did something but I couldn't tell what. Can someone enlighten me?
Grimnir  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

during the large red bar areas you can tap the red button to play a "sample" sound. These are picked before you go into a set list (although i don't remember if the demo lets you pick it, it's the same place where you pick your char / table ect)

you can scroll through your samples with the effect button, or up / down arrow keys. The first 2 different samples played in each free style area are worth points. Additional presses are for spam only lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.andpop.com/2009/11/21/dj-hero-review/

There's my review on DJ Hero check it out if you are interested.
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had enough time to dig through DJ Hero, so here is my review...

DJ Hero is the latest addition to Activision's widespread and highly successful "Hero" franchise, and they've decided to dip their fingers into hiphop, techno and house, which hasn't been fully explored by Guitar Hero or Rock Band, aside from Beastie Boys (And Aerosmith with Run DMC it you wanna stretch). Despite universal panning from critics on announcement, what has resulted is a fun game, and an entirely new concept that is well worth a look in for anyone who was curious, like myself.

Gameplay: The game comes with the controller you need to play DJ Hero to it's fullest; A DJ Hero turntable. With a DJ platter, crossfader, Euphoria button (basically Starpower for DJ Hero) and effects knob (GH's whammy bar, except it gives you points this time). With that, rewinds and the ability to skip all crossfades under Euphoria, the possibilities are endless. In my opinion, players will have more fun trying to fight for number 1, regardless of difficulty, than the latest Guitar Hero instalments, mostly due to it being a new method of play. This is not a game to go right to Expert to 5* everything on sightread like modern Guitar Hero either. Even if you feel confident after the tutorial and start on Hard, you will find yourself 2*ing and 3*ing later tier mixes (like "Groundhog" by NOISIA, juggled by Scratch Perverts), so there is plenty to keep you going long after mastering all the nuances of how the game works. In short; easy to pick up, hard to master. 8

Music: What makes or breaks a rhythm game, regardless of what instruments it contains, is its soundtrack. This is probably one of the most unique in modern times, featuring many artists that cover many genres, such as Queen, Rhianna, Billy Squier, Motörhead, Dizzee Rascal, Weezer, Gorillaz, Tiësto, Marvin Gaye and many more. All the tracks are mashups, meaning two songs are intertwined with each other. Some songs repeat 3 or 4 times, yet sound very different between each usage, which adds to staying power. And with pioneering DJs appearing (both as contributors, and in-game avatars) such as Daft Punk, DJ AM, Grandmaster Flash and DJ Shadow, just from name alone, these people know what they're doing. Regardless of what you're looking for, if you're a sucker for mashups, you'll definitely find a gem in the bag, and some mixes that surprise you. And with the the regular output of DLC, the sky is the limit when it comes to what genres can show up in DJ Hero... I still hold out for Fear Factory. >_> 9

User Interface: The gameplay interface is similar to Guitar Hero 5. Euphoria meter on the left, streak meter on the right, with the rewind symbol there too, and a score in the top right. That is not the biggest flaw with the game though, the biggest is in the main menus. They do look cool, with the idea of each set having a cover... But because the way to get around is not expressively outlined in either the manual or in-game, it is a big let down... It took me ages to find out you navigate sets with the crossfader going left and right, and navigate songlists with the effects knob. The DPad on top of the crossfader section is the way to go for navigation I think... It shouldn't have to be that way though. How things are meant to happen shouldn't be left to be discovered by accident either. 4

tl;dr The interface is confusing at first, but other than that the game is fun, very different, and very worth it if you can overlook the price tag. Or ask Santa for it if you're in the younger crowd.

So Fix Up, Look Sharp, and get your Robot Rock on. Give DJ Hero a chance, it will be bound to give you Satisfaction, in (Ace [Jack] of) Spades.

8.5/10

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I've downloaded the DJ Hero soundtrack, and I have it on Shuffle on WMP, and so far, there have been no songs that i haven't liked yet (3-4 songs in) and I've never really been a fan of Hip Hop (Mainly because of todays Modern Rap... HATE). Can't wait to get the game myself and give it a try (or give it a "spin". cwutididthur?)

EDIT: This is the first time this song has came up, but Juke Box Hero vs DJ Hero is one of my favourite songs on the soundtrack that I've heard. Not sure why, but it just sounds so good IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I broke down and bought the game last week (yay for stacking a $20 off coupon on top of a Black Friday deal!), I figure now, after a good 6 hours of DJing under my belt, I should throw out a few comments to whoever is on the fence about buying this crazy game.

First off - I was incredibly intimidated by this game. I started with GH1 many years ago, and starting the tutorial was similar to the first time I held the fake plastic guitar in my hands. It was an interesting experience to try my first song, and when I 5*'d the first set on Medium with ease, I figured it was time for Hard. I figure, how hard could hard really be? Isn't all the crazy stuff on Expert?

Ha. How little I knew. I tore into more setlists, a few 5*'s here and there, mostly 4*'s, a few 3*'s on songs that just didn't make sense. Plowed through the setlists, only really getting tripped up on a few songs (Sabotage vs. Monkey Wrench, I love you but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF). I thought I was making great progress, almost ready to make the jump to Expert.

Aaaaaaaaaand then I get to the second to last set, The Scratch Perverts. Could these really be as hard as people say? I went in with confidence. I walked out with sore hands and no more pride. Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch ouch. Those songs are no cakewalk, that's for sure. But you know what? It feels really good to suck at a music game again. When a new GH comes out, there's little challenge, and that's disappointing. But this, man. This is hard. I haven't even begun Expert yet and I already know that's a whole new level of hard.

Anyway.

While I love music, I'm not exactly musically inclined. I've messed around with mixers and MIDI controllers of my friends, but I've never made anything that sounded remotely good. But DJ Hero, for a few moments, makes you FEEL like you're the one cutting and scratching and that's an incredibly awesome feeling. For the $80 I paid, I felt like I got my monies worth and then some.

If you can stomach the price, it's worth it.

toymachine wrote:

Welcome to Scorehero. Where we dissect sections of Dragonforce songs so the official chart can disappoint us in some minute way
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: nesdude128
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc DJ Hero Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: