ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Ebay Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z7X  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Ebay Questions Reply with quote

I'm lookig to sell some stuff on ebay, and I wanted a few questions answered.

Is it better to sell it yourself, or use a store that sells it for you?
Is it better to charge a flat rate for shipping?
Should the pirce be started low, and hope that it gets up to what you want, or star it relatively closer to what you want?

Thanks all.

I'VE BEEN SIGGED..... TWICE!!!!!
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's better to sell it yourself. I would also suggest a flat-rate shipping (exclude other countries of course). As far as starting price, start it relatively low, and set a reserve at the absolute lowest amount you want to get for it. That way, if it one person bids on it, at the lowest price, you're not stuck losing money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
I would say it's better to sell it yourself. I would also suggest a flat-rate shipping (exclude other countries of course). As far as starting price, start it relatively low, and set a reserve at the absolute lowest amount you want to get for it. That way, if it one person bids on it, at the lowest price, you're not stuck losing money.

Yes but you have to be careful using the Reserve feature as well... I usually don't use it unless it's for something above 100 Dollars... I sell Antique Doll, Bears, and Books on Ebay... and I usually start an auction off at $10 Dollars and set a reserve for $250 or so... this guarantees that people will see and bid on the auction. Because who woulnd't want to "try" to snap up something 200 bucks off... But say you are selling an NES game or N64 game... if you have to let it go for a buck let it go for a buck... It's not worth the ebay fee's... You make more money on shipping anyway... With the new fee's ebay is implementing people are going to have to inflate their prices, just to break even... Because along with paypal... I really get hit hard when it comes to Paypal and Ebay Fee's... Kind of like Double taxation in our government :-)

But yeah, just use common sense on whatever you think will get you the most return on your ebay investment... hope you have good success on there :-)

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mushy2008 PSN Name: Mushy2008 Wii Friend Code: 4798547854137468 ICQ Number
gusmahler  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ebay Questions Reply with quote

Z7X wrote:
Should the pirce be started low, and hope that it gets up to what you want, or star it relatively closer to what you want?

Depends on the product. If you're selling something that will sell for a large amount (e.g., a Wii or PS3 60GB), it doesn't really matter what you set the starting price at because you'll clearly make the money you want. So you should set the price really low to save money and gain views.

For items that aren't really guaranteed to sell, there are arguments both for reserve prices and setting a realistic price. The problem with reserve is that some people don't like them and avoid bidding on them. But you get to set the price you want.

You may want to consider selling on Amazon Marketplace also. Amazon marketplace has several advantages over ebay:

* Listings are active for 60 days, not just 7. So you don't spend as much time monitoring your listings and re-listing.

* You get the money immediately (from Amazon), instead of having to wait for a Paypal payment and hoping it goes through.

* No chance of an item being sold for less than you want.

* You know what the going price of an item is before you list it.

I guess the negative is that no one will go into a bidding war for your item, as it's not an auction system. But for many items (books, CDs, DVDs, video games, in particular), I prefer selling (and buying) on Amazon over Ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lookig to sell my Epiphone Goth Les Paul ( http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=36&CollectionID=5 ) I want to get at leas $300 for it. I was thinking of starting at 290. how much should I set shipping at?

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z7X wrote:
I'm lookig to sell my Epiphone Goth Les Paul ( http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=36&CollectionID=5 ) I want to get at leas $300 for it. I was thinking of starting at 290. how much should I set shipping at?

For shipping price: Got to the service you want to use (USPS/UPS/whatever), and have them weigh the guitar. They'll give you the shipping price.
I would suggest you set your reserve at $300, but start the auction around $200. You might hook some people in, and they'll likely set higher max bids, and follow the auction more so than usual.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain that reserve you keep mentioning? What does it mean?

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z7X wrote:
Can someone explain that reserve you keep mentioning? What does it mean?

When you set a reserve, the item goes up for auction as normal; however, the sale doesn't actually count unless it meets your minimum price. If I'm selling a GH3 Wii bundle, I'd set my reserve at $45, and start the auction at about $10. If at the close of the auction, the top bid is only like $30, the sale does not count.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering these exact questions as well. I have a Pantera album I bought for $100 (out of print + highly sought after = high price.) I used the Buy It Now feature on an ebay auction but forgot I was already in a bid war for the same item from a few days prior. I expected to lose that auction, but the auction ended with my highest bid being the current bid, all they had to do was bid 1 cent over me and they would've won. So I got stuck buying the same cd for $100...twice. I want to sell one of them with addtional cds I don't want as a bundle and redeem myself.

I was thinking of starting the auction at around $70 and having a Buy It Now price of about $150 or so. The auction will have 5 cds, one being the rare Pantera, and I'll throw in my new Slayer logo patch and call the whole thing a "Metal Bundle Pack." I might even add a DVD, too. I'm not planning on doing this soon, but I'll add more stuff (new t-shirt, pins, etc.) to spice it up and then I'll get my shit together.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: