ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Five Stars for You Here (NfMH Expert Guide)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ortiz1193  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Djdunn80 wrote:
Last night i got bored of breaking combo on the annoying so randomly halfway through a PFO started playing it by madly downstrumming it all and to my surprise i missed not once from wheni did this. Not sure if it helped just me but try it and it may work for you :P I am unsure as to whether i utilize the hammer on because as i say it was just downstrummed as fast as i can with no pattern i thought

Hmm...I'm reluctant to put in a method that basically boils down to strum flailing. This is especially true since you don't even know whether you're using the hammer-on or not (I'd say probably you are, but that's just a guess). In any event, I think it would be much more beneficial in the long run for a player to try to learn this section correctly.

Actually, I hit this section 70% of the time doing that. Then again, I'm not sure if I used the hopo or not. (Haven't played it since I 5* it a few weeks ago) I'll make sure to count my strums next I play it though.
Djdunn80  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Hmm...I'm reluctant to put in a method that basically boils down to strum flailing. This is especially true since you don't even know whether you're using the hammer-on or not (I'd say probably you are, but that's just a guess). In any event, I think it would be much more beneficial in the long run for a player to try to learn this section correctly.

That may be so but for me its one of those songs which is just a pain and seeing as i never plan on playing it much and the riff isn't a common thing in gh really i don't feel bad :P

If you are simply playing to 5* it then i would use any method that wors
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djdunn80 wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:

That may be so but for me its one of those songs which is just a pain and seeing as i never plan on playing it much and the riff isn't a common thing in gh really i don't feel bad :P

If you are simply playing to 5* it then i would use any method that wors

That's a fair point. Anyway, I just tried it out myself to see how it worked, and I was hitting it about half the time. I'll put it in as a last-resort kind of thing.
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
SmugDuckling  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 5-starred this long ago, but your tip about using the hammer-on in the chorus was great, and helped me improve my score by about 21k (not all from the chorus, of course).

Just for that, it's a great guide.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmugDuckling wrote:
I 5-starred this long ago, but your tip about using the hammer-on in the chorus was great, and helped me improve my score by about 21k (not all from the chorus, of course).

21k is quite a bit for a song this short; congratulations. I'm glad I could help.

SmugDuckling wrote:

Thanks!

Incidentally, I realize that this might be the last guide ever written where the writer had to type out the freticons himself, thanks to that admirable program you wrote. I'm honored to hold such a historic position, but you could have saved me a bunch of work by finishing that three days earlier :P
Téa: (Thinking) Look at him undressing me with his eyes! I wonder what he's thinking...
Yami: (Thinking) MAN, I hate milkshakes! (Squeezes milkshake cup) Die, milkshake, die! That's right, milkshake: you have been defeated! Now you go to milkshake prison!
My guides: BIF 5* | Most Impulsive Expert Guide Ever | Guide to Writing Guides | NfMH 5* | Practice Mode | My Curse FC | GH3 Co-op Squeezing
Proud Christian
SmugDuckling  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:
Incidentally, I realize that this might be the last guide ever written where the writer had to type out the freticons himself, thanks to that admirable program you wrote. I'm honored to hold such a historic position, but you could have saved me a bunch of work by finishing that three days earlier :P

Sorry, I was too busy improving my score on Nothing For Me Here. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide! I've got 152k on NFMH right now.
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I 5* this there were a few things I noticed about my playing that I did differently from the other songs.

Firsty, i shifted into 2nd position whenever it wasn't a G note. This includes the part. I always shifted my hand into 2nd position after the 2 greens. Another thing was during the section, I moved my hand farther up the neck than I normally do for 2nd position allowing to to not have to stretch my pinky at all. (I usually place my hand so that my pinky stretches a little to hit the O). the third thing, was that I hit all of solo 1. It's pretty slow triplets I think and pretty easy compared to solo 2 which I hit a lot more of on the 2 runs before my 5* run than I did when I got my 5*.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
Lortwogo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, and TheThirdDay said you were making a NfMH guide when I thought about making one myself...

Looks good, I'm sure it will help many people that go "WTFH4XBBQ" or whatever

http://www.twitch.tv/lortwogo
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lortwogo Wii Friend Code: 055960746179
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
When I 5* this there were a few things I noticed about my playing that I did differently from the other songs.

Firsty, i shifted into 2nd position whenever it wasn't a G note. This includes the part. I always shifted my hand into 2nd position after the 2 greens.

Yeah, I almost always do that too. Except it's with pretty much every song, not just this one. You should see me index slide GR trills...it's not pretty.

tornintwo wrote:
Another thing was during the section, I moved my hand farther up the neck than I normally do for 2nd position allowing to to not have to stretch my pinky at all. (I usually place my hand so that my pinky stretches a little to hit the O).

Ideally, that is what you want to do; however, the presence of that GR sustain beforehand tends to throw you off mentally. That's really the whole point of my separation method of the two parts in Practice Mode. You need to see them as two different entities, not one. Dropping the sustain early helps with that as well.

tornintwo wrote:
the third thing, was that I hit all of solo 1. It's pretty slow triplets I think and pretty easy compared to solo 2 which I hit a lot more of on the 2 runs before my 5* run than I did when I got my 5*.

I think you mean Solo 2 rather than Solo 1? If so, the slow triplets definitely can boost your score. If you take a look at the first path I have listed, the second activation is focused entirely on hitting as much of that triplet section as you can.

Lortwogo wrote:
Damn, and TheThirdDay said you were making a NfMH guide when I thought about making one myself...

I was definitely dropping some hints while I was working on this guide for just that reason. I really didn't want to release it right over top of somebody else; very likely that would not have ended well for either person involved.

It was kinda weird doing that, because I'd never really worried about getting guide-ninja'd before. My BIF guide was really just out of the blue and it only took me a couple hours to construct out of existing posts I'd made, the Guide to Writing Guides (to be quite frank) was probably something only I would write, and Impulse? Who writes a guide on Impulse? This one, though, I knew was one of the last tough songs that didn't have a five-star guide, so I was a bit concerned. I'm glad neither one of us wasted our time.

Lortwogo wrote:
Looks good, I'm sure it will help many people that go "WTFH4XBBQ" or whatever

Thanks, and I certainly hope so.
Proud Christian
suttsman  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Thanks to this guide I 5* it every time. Thanks a lot for posting this!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, BTW, I saw , BEAUTIFUL, stars the other day next to my score on NFMH.
GH3: FC #32 - Welcome to the Jungle! TOP 500!!!!
Rockband: Big Updates
GH Goals:
Top 500 on all 3 games [ ] (GH3, taken down.)
FC 20 songs on each games [ ]
zsjostrom35  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone is interested, but I made a bunch of little editorial updates; fixing some typos and rewording some stuff to make it more readable.

suttsman wrote:
Yay! Thanks to this guide I 5* it every time. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Malchia wrote:
Oh yeah, BTW, I saw , BEAUTIFUL, stars the other day next to my score on NFMH.

Congrats you two; glad I could help.
Proud Christian
Parama  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zsjostrom35 wrote:

SmugDuckling wrote:

Thanks!

Nah, you forgot about GH:A guides :P (this post is kinda spammy, don't ya think?)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:
zsjostrom35 wrote:

SmugDuckling wrote:

Thanks!

Nah, you forgot about GH:A guides :P (this post is kinda spammy, don't ya think?)

SmugDuckling says he'll do it for Aerosmith eventually:
http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1057064#1057064

However, I realize that your Love in an Elevator guide will be using manual freticons, so you're right anyway. Dang it; I wanted history
Proud Christian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: