ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Misrlou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHAddict  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Misrlou Reply with quote

Misrlou is the last song I need to 5* on GH2, but I'm WAY off. Why? Because I can't get the strumming speed right at all.

I took just the intro to practice, and had trouble FCing it on "Slower."

Each individual note sound isn't defined enough, so those fast notes I find are really tough to get right-- that, combined with the inconsistant strumming:

How would you strum that? When I downstrum it, I expect to start each different note color on the same strum. I try to downstrum the first red, but then I try to downstrum the first yellow, too, and that gives me overstrums on top of the notes I'd regularly miss.

Also, I can't get the speed changes down. The intro is 12.3nps, while most of the other strumming is around 13.

How do you get the strumming speed down on this song? (The whole song)

[Customs] - Click here if you like awesomeness

Goal: FC 75% of ALL on-disc Guitar Hero songs (Band Hero doesn't count) - (430 / 575)
Current: 368 / 575 - (64%)
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Misrlou Reply with quote

If you're looking for points, the intro strumming ain't necessary at all. I've 6*'ed the song and I can hardly combo that intro. You should look into the Misirlou 5* Guide, it's incredibly good.

ScoreHero's Definitive List of Guides is a great reference.
muna  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, slowest is 50% of full speed. Just do slowest with hyperspeed on so you can get the right tempo, then it shouldn't be too hard to double for the full song. I still don't have that 5 star, but my score went up about 30k after doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowest isn't 50% of FS. There was a guide to practice mode speeds, and I don't think it got any slower than about 80%.

Anyways, on topic, to get a better grip on the speed of strumming, watch Priest's FC vid of it (You can hear him strumming), get the MP3, (Wavegroup cover, Dick Dale's many versions sound drastically different) and use the "Impossible 5*" technique I use.

Play Misirlou. Play a different song you like. Play Misirlou again. Play another different song. Play Misirlou yet again, etc. it helps build consistency, stamina, and keeps you from getting too sick of the song.

Last edited by Exxucus on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exxucus wrote:
Slowest is NOT 50% of FS. There was a guide to practice mode speeds, and I don't think it got any slower than about 80%.

Which I wrote.

Slowest: 50%
Slower: 65%
Slow: 85%
Full Speed: 100%
lordvader178  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 5* Misirlou (got a video and the achievement on youtube ) i should give a few tips. 10,000 points after the intro is what you are aiming for. When you get SP, use it on the section thats like all greens with other colours (make sure you get the SP of that first). Then just use SP on every strumming bit. Save SP for the chords at the end, they rocket your score.

A-Dubz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can 5 star this song every time, but I think I have only FC'd the intro once. It's a very awkward speed, and not necessary at all for 5 star. Just concentrate on the rest of the song, the strumming speed seems to be the same speed everywhere else. Make sure you hit the part at the end with an 8X. Play the song a few times a day, and you should have it in a week or two. And yah...there is a guide dedicated to 5 starring this song.
My Accomplishments Thread
dragonfyre17  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the intro. I've never gotten the hang of it and I can six star the song now every time. To get the strumming speed down, try playing the song on hard. It's basically the same chart, but it only has every other note, or each note that you would downstrum. Then, when you play on expert, just concentrate on those notes that you're downstrumming. Also, make sure you can fc the outro under star power. That is huge.
Once, I failed Surrender on Easy. The next thing I knew, a large flying pig came bursting from Hell, covered in snow screaming,"FINAL SLAUGHTER!!!!" and took out half of my family. I was so pissed, I ate my cat.
psychomonkey62 wrote:
DontFret wrote:
jordan fc before strutter lolwut?
Dude, Strutter is friggin' impossible.
PhatTrumpet  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Misrlou Reply with quote

GHAddict wrote:
How do you get the strumming speed down on this song? (The whole song)

The intro aside... if you can't distinguish the speed of the individual notes, just tune-in to the beat and fit four strums (i.e. two downstrums) per beat. I mean this is a rhythm game after all.
Bass:      9,226,503 [58 GS, 57 FC]  13,319,824 [83 GS, 83 FC]  22,546,327 [141GS, 140FC]
Drums:    11,105,579 [57 GS, 37 FC]  15,512,780 [76 GS, 36 FC]  26,618,359 [133GS, 73 FC]
Vocals:   11,525,519 [58 GS, 58 FC]  17,302,340 [84 GS, 84 FC]  28,827,859 [142GS, 142FC]
All-Inst: 42,269,027 [231GS, 206FC]  61,262,972 [326GS, 271FC] 103,531,999 [557GS, 477FC]
Rock Band Accomplishments Thread | Guitar Hero Accomplishments Thread
Invader4480  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I remember correctly, most of the strumming in Misirlou is the same speed as the general NPS in TTFAF, e.g. the fast strumming bitsies and the intro. So what I do to play Misirlou is pretend I'm playing TTFAF (in a manner of speaking), because I'm familiar with that strumming speed. Take the NPS with a grain of salt, though, because the BPM changes sporadically in Misirlou, and it goes from the regular 13.3 NPS to around 12.5 NPS in one section.

Also, the intro is about 12 NPS. It actually isn't, but averaging the two BPMs together makes to about 12 NPS, so do with that information what you must.

^ FINALLY ^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: