ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Wow Beenox, just wow
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSnatch  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Wow Beenox, just wow Reply with quote

I bet you thought this would be a rant thread!

You guys really impressed me with GH:SH! Expert Guitar btw.

You managed to do a few things that I didn't think were possible.

1. Make Miss Murder, Carry on Wayward Son, Stellar, More Than a Feeling, and Lay Down fun again (among a few others).

You may have achieved this with changes to the charts that make them "inaccurate", but they are fun again. I used to hate Miss Murder and it was actually fun to play. I was happy with the changes you made to More Than a Feeling because it actually made the chart fun to play instead of repetitive.

2. Make the scenery/story fun again.

I laughed through some of the story and I thought the story/scenery were great. I loved the snake in the first venue!

You also did a few things that Neversoft has had a very hard time doing:

1. Make chord changes feel fun and natural again!

Not only do the chord changes feel natural, but they are actually fun. I don't feel any finger cramping, just natural changes. There were few songs on my sightreads that I thought I would miss the chord changes on because I knew that they might feel awkward (Unsung and Them Bones in particular), but they were charted perfectly for what my brain was thinking.

2. Utilize the HOPO placing in a fun way.

Once again, charts might not be 100% correct, but I was hardly ever frustrated with having to strum when I didn't think it was appropriate. You must have just said to yourselves "Fuck it, this will all be HOPOs because that is more fun" instead of "This needs to be hard to time". The biggest winners here are Thunder Kiss '65 and I Wanna Rock.

3. Make Star Power phrases shorter and feel more natural.

This is the biggest one for me. I really dislike the way Neversoft charts SP. They make every single phrase long and often tough to hit. You took a page from Harmonix's book and made them short and feel more natural. You charted the songs so that you hit SP in more point friendly areas. Thank you so much for this! I can't stress this one enough!
Well, no, not really. See, with the banana, you have the choice to eat it soon after buying it, avoiding the rotting situation and enjoying some tasty food while it's fresh. The situation with Bat Country, on the other hand, is venting over an inevitability. It's more like "Death, taxes, and 12-year-olds overplaying Avenged Sevenfold songs online."
Garwood  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that I think they made good use of overlapping sustains.
I know during one song I was playing on bass with my brother i actually said out loud "holy shit i just hit a chord while holding a sustain" I also like the triplets during the sustain in barracuda I hated the song so much in GH3 but now it's not so bad. Maybe even a little fun.

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
Reptile003  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you wrote, i think Beenox did a great job on this game... and the graphic detail and shit looks sick and cleaned up

I wouldn't mind Beenox making more of them >.<

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank god, I though this was gonna be another stupid rant thread. Beenox outdid themselves with this. *puts up flame shield* If you ask me, their first attempt is better than NS's first attempt. I honestly don't see why people complain about this game. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
BShea  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... I was just thinking about how great of a job they did. I played through the entire game trading off vocals and guitar and I had a blast! They surprised the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOmyA wrote:
If you ask me, their first attempt is better than NS's first attempt.

In Neversofts defense they had to build the entire game from scratch for GH3.

Bennox pretty much got a blank version of GH:M and were told to have fun with it.

21st Century Schizoid Man 5* X+ Drums [x]
Megashot  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garwood wrote:
I would like to add that I think they made good use of overlapping sustains.
I know during one song I was playing on bass with my brother i actually said out loud "holy shit i just hit a chord while holding a sustain" I also like the triplets during the sustain in barracuda I hated the song so much in GH3 but now it's not so bad. Maybe even a little fun.

I agree, the way Beenox handled both the slider/purple notes and the extended sustains was just excellent. They didn't put the purple notes where they shouldn't be, and the extended sustains actually felt "natural" to me. And plus, the PS2 version was handled nicely, I never noticed any fretboard spikes/lag. My only minor complaint is that Star Power still won't activate half the time when there's a whole bunch of notes on the fretboard, but that's what the Select button is for.

Although I thought Through the Fire and Flames was harder for me personally, probably due to the fact that they charted it differently. I was kind of dissappointed that you don't unlock anything for beating all the songs in career mode on Expert Guitar, other than getting Marcus Fretshredder and some extra guitar stuff and the venues. Guess I'll have to go through the other instruments' respective careers and see what I unlock.

Oh yeah, I totally loved the setlist. Cowboys from Hell was so satisfying to play with working hammer on's and pull-offs. It felt awesome, because I used to never get through that intro on GH1 back when I was trying to beat the game on Expert. Just brings back a lot of nostalgia trying to beat the song on GH1.

Proud owner of every Guitar Hero and Rock Band game! Rock on!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Cool223 PSN Name: Megashot
ford2112  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I dont have the game, all the charts and the gameplay do look great. This definately looks like one of the top Guitar Hero games we've seen in a while (my opinion, dont flame). I'm for sure gonna pick this up. GOod job Beenox
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm inclined to agree.

I really think the charts aren't bad. Vocals has some tough spots, but nothing that can't be figured out with a bit of practice (same goes for any instrument). What's funny is to me is how people are complaining about Beenox charts, but they don't seem to get that NS more than has the resources to train the folks over at Beenox about charting, etc. I can tell that these weren't amateur charters. What, were you guys expecting mediocre custom makers to be handling an entire Guitar Hero game!? Come on, have more faith!

You can tell a game is good when I still thoroughly enjoy playing the songs I wasn't looking much forward to (Thunderkiss, Take it Off, Freya, to name a few).

The game was a refreshing trip down memory lane. The old songs with an upgrade. I primarily played vocals and guitar, and it was awesome to finally vocaltar Stellar. I underestimated just how EPIC that would be!

Menus and layout looked spiffy and clean (don't know if Beenox handled all of that, but pats on the back to whoever did that. Much more readable than GHWT <3). Charts feel really fun and natural. Definitely some challenges without exhausting a certain genre (I LOVE GHM to death, but playing metal back to back to back on guitar only goes so far with me!)

The setlist feels complete, and the entire experience is just superb. I was considering passing on GHVH due to monetary issues, but after getting this game I might give GHVH a chance on release date like I did with GHSH. Definitely worth taking a day off from work to ROCK!!!!!

Edit: I forgot to mention how epic it was to lay the guitar flat on my lap and FC the opening slider section of freebird. I think I'll be playing this game for a long time.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i thought this game was amazing, i haven't had the pleasure of playing as much as i would like due to a suddenly broken guitar, but vocals and drums are both really fun and well charted.

...does anyone else think the intro to TTFAF is strange? it's not the sliders...

"The Halo over my demise / Following a God so blind / Shallow in their sickening, swallow not the shit they feed."
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTFAF's intro pattern was changed slightly. It screws me up if I don't concentrate because I'm so used to the GH3 pattern, and I'm sure others are too.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: [why is this so hard]

stuff i''ve done, it''s been updated now which is weird
LaserAntigrav  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:
TTFAF's intro pattern was changed slightly. It screws me up if I don't concentrate because I'm so used to the GH3 pattern, and I'm sure others are too.

okay good, i thought i was insane o.O

"The Halo over my demise / Following a God so blind / Shallow in their sickening, swallow not the shit they feed."
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: g3arsofwar0wns PSN Name: sacredring
directshot999  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught in a Mosh's is a lot funner than the 80s
GamingAwesome1  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I did think this would be a rant thread . It's nice to see someone not ripping on Beenox for a change.
BucketBlue  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Beenox did a good job on the game. Last couple tiers were very fun to play. I made sure to turn it up real loud for Cowboys From Hell. It was a blast. Now I just need to fix my drums and give them a try for this game.

Only thing I hate about this game is how the strumming is still on the GHM engine. TTFAF was more frustrating than fun to play. Took six tries to five star it because I couldn't combo the strumming worth squat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: