ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Stepmania conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pksage  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Stepmania conversion Reply with quote

I remember someone on this forum claiming that they wrote their charts in Stepmania, in doubles mode, and then just transferred it over to a MIDI. A few questions about this:

- Is all you have to do transfer the BPM changes and notes directly to the MIDI file, measure-for-measure? This seems pretty straightforward, but there's potentially some intricacies I don't know about.

- Has anyone thought about making a program to automatically rewrite a .SM file into a MIDI? (This would be incredibly awesome and, I suspect, not really that hard to do.)

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
pksage  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a better question. Would anyone else be interested in a .sm -> .midi converter program if I were to code one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
Sottle  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Phr34k who brought up the Stepmania method, try PMing him if you want more info, he might not have seen this topic.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sweet jesus yes make a conversion program @_@ I make all my customs in SM first.

Here is the convention I use for everything, all on doubles mode. #s referring to each column left to right.

Difficulty - Edit:
I will start with this one first, to map out BPM, bar charting, and section charting.
1-5 - blank
6 - Location of [end] event
7 - New practice section (actual name would need to be placed into the midi text)
8 - Start of a bar (since the GH midi only uses X/4, you use this to change time signatures)

Difficulty - Light through Challenge (easy through expert):
I then move onto Expert, copying the Edit chart, for a grid of bars and sections. After the expert chart is done, I copy expert to the lower difficulties and cut notes from there.
1 - Green Fret
2 - Red Fret
3 - Yellow Fret
4 - Blue Fret
5 - Orange Fret
6 - Holds representing star power sections
7 - Player 1 Face-Off
8 - Player 2 Face-Off

I have been meaning to add lighting and such to the single difficulties, to automate that as well. All BPMs and offsets sync perfectly over to midi. Let me know if you get something done
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
pksage  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual data conversion wouldn't be too bad. I just personally know very little about the MIDI format in terms of converting in and out of it. I'll do some reading, see what I can do. Although it's likely I'll be outstripped by whoever it was that was developing an interface to make GH charts directly, which is better than using Stepmania.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: