ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Transition from GH2 to GH1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byoon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Transition from GH2 to GH1 Reply with quote

So I got GH2 and have loved it, so I went out and bought GH1 today. I know I have read that HO/POs suck in GH1 so I'm just wondering, do I try to strum every note no matter what? I'd like to get into the right habit before I have to change later. I'm talking about expert of course.
saxev2005  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Transition from GH2 to GH1 Reply with quote

byoon wrote:
So I got GH2 and have loved it, so I went out and bought GH1 today. I know I have read that HO/POs suck in GH1 so I'm just wondering, do I try to strum every note no matter what? I'd like to get into the right habit before I have to change later. I'm talking about expert of course.

there are HO/POs in GH1, but the system isn't nearly as good as the one in GH2.....if you don't hit the lines that can be HOPOed perfectly, then chances are you won't get it......hope that explains it a little bit....

GH GOALS (EXPERT):
20 mil (GH2)
Top 100 (GH 80s)
20.5 mil (GH3)
Sully  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strum everything.

I started with GH1 when it came out but only played very casually. I just went back to it to give it some serious effort and I've had to adjust to the ho/po crappyness, too.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
byoon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how the HO/PO system works in GH1, I was just wondering if it's better to learn how to use it or to just strum every note

Thanks Sully, I guess I'll have to learn how to strum the HO/PO notes quickly and efficiently.
Nulien  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use HO/POs when it's just a quick pair of notes. The rest of the time, I strum pretty much everything.

I find they're easier to do if you HO/PO the second note just slightly later than you'd expect it to work. If you're the slightest bit early, it won't work.
raptorz44  

I made the transition and it made me better at hopo on gh2
raptorz44  

I made the transition and it made me better at hopo on gh2
mrseb  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byoon wrote:
I understand how the HO/PO system works in GH1, I was just wondering if it's better to learn how to use it or to just strum every note

Thanks Sully, I guess I'll have to learn how to strum the HO/PO notes quickly and efficiently.

as a second opinion i agree wiv sully

STRUM EVERY NOTE!

(GH1 league)
GH1/GH2 Hard FC's Goals
Code:

[ ] Parasite         [X] Infected
[ ] Soy Bomb         [ ] Fat Lip
[ ] Elephant Bones   [ ] Even Rats
[ ] Girlfriend       [ ] Killer Queen
[ ] Yes We Can       [ ] Story of my Love
Riz  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrseb wrote:
as a second opinion i agree wiv sully

STRUM EVERY NOTE!

He doesn't need your second opinion, and if you enter another post on these forums containing the non-words "wiv", "bcuz", or "dunst", or any other form of "I'm too f'in lazy to spell properly and people will think I'm cool if I use these moronic invented words" type of "Internet speak", I'm going to ban you.

Riz.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this doesn't have to do with HOPOs, but does anyone else find that, after playing GHII for a while, going back and playing GHI seems easier? maybe it's just me, but after playing GHII for weeks straight when it first came out, i went back and played GHI to find myself getting more 5 stars on expert songs and FCing hard songs.
Subliminal  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandelerium2021 wrote:
this doesn't have to do with HOPOs, but does anyone else find that, after playing GHII for a while, going back and playing GHI seems easier? maybe it's just me, but after playing GHII for weeks straight when it first came out, i went back and played GHI to find myself getting more 5 stars on expert songs and FCing hard songs.

It's definitely not just you. I got Guitar Hero 2 at Christmas, and had been playing it for a couple of weeks. I was struggling at the start of the hard section (end of expert now) and was going up town one day, when I found a Guitar Hero in this shop. I decided to have a crack at it, and chose expert to see the comparison to GH2. I slaughtered about 3 of the songs, getting instant 4-5 stars. I actually thought that GH1 was way easier than GH2, until I read this other thread on scorehero and found out it just seems easier for if you've played GH2. (Getting on topic) I suck At ho/pos for Guitar Hero 2, I just can't seem to pull them off, and when I tried playing GH1, the ho/pos were really easy to strum. I do alt strum though, so the opinion may be a little dodgy. Also, I only played the songs in tier 2 and 4. (The rest wasn't unlocked). Iron man was really easy though, with the solo 'n' all.
FC 2 expert songs [ ]
5-star a Face-Melter [X]
Make more posts on SH [ ]
*Guitar Hero lefty*
byoon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I find GH1 to be very easy. I've played through the 6 tiers already so excluding the bonus songs, I've 5 starred all of them with one sightread except for 4 songs. Frankenstein and Texas Flood got me barely any points away from 5 stars and BATM and CFH got 3 stars. Looking forward to playing the harder bonus songs as well...but this whole "strum everything" is killing me on the harder songs.
Tomthegod  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i though guitar hero 1 was very easy, and when i got GH2 i breezed through it in 3 days on expert (still cant beat JORDAN! though)
kungfumidget  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and the solos that seemed impossible before were so much easier and seemed a lot more managable. I also used to think TBW was super fast, and playing it once would wear out my strum arm, but it was totally managable. The only one I still really suck at is CFH, but I only played it twice and still got a big improvement on my score... And I kept messing up by forgetting to strum in TF.

And in response to the initial question, it's very difficult to learn how to use the GH1 HOPO system. The big problem with it is you can try and try, and the timing window is so small, that most people get frustrated missing easy notes and repeatedly breaking combos. I think almost everyone would tell you just strum.
byoon  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so...you ARE supposed to alt-strum those more difficult "HO/PO" passages such as the CFH riff right? Stupid GH1

Previous top 30 on GH2 PS2 Expert and continuing to drop from lack of playing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: