ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game Reviews Written by Scorehero Members (Updated 11-17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: N64
Game: Paper Mario
Game Type: RPG
Overall Rank: 8 1/2 out of 10

The first time I heard of this game, I thought "Mario on a paper route?", but this game is really fun. I got the game on Virtual Console a little while ago, and it lasted me quite a while.

The Story:

The story involves the "Story of The Star Children" (during the intro video, that's what the story-teller is saying). The "Star Spirits" watch over all of the Mushroom Kingdom, granting people's wishes. They relied on the power of the Star Rod (not from Kirby) to preform such miracles. Bowser ruins the story by sticking a "Kammy Koopa" (a magikoopa, but an old hag) to the storybook, and she comes to life, and uses her magic to help Bowser steal the Star Rod and imprison the 6 Star Spirits.

Where YOU come in:

Mario's quest starts at his house as Luigi tells Mario they received an invitation to Princess Peach's castle. Not one to decline such an invitation, Mario leaves home immediately. Shortly after arriving at the castle, the ground begins to shake. The camera pans out, and we see Bowser's castle rising from the ground, UNDER Princess Peach's castle, lifting it up into the sky! Bowser declares an attack on Mario after explaining he can't be beat. Here you battle with him, but after a short time, Bowser uses the Star Rod and becomes invincible. He finishes you off, and you fly out the window, dropping to the ground.

Gameplay:

This isn't your average RPG. Enemies appear on the map, and you don't receive "EXP"; instead you receive Star Points, and when you get 100, you level up. When you level up, you can increase either your HP, FP, or BP. HP is (obviously) Heart Points, FP is Flower Points (like MP in Final Fantasy), and BP is Badge Points. Certain abilities use FP, (in case you don't know) and equipping badges uses BP. Equipping badges (it's kinda like using Materia in FFVII, if you've played that game) lets you use abilities, raises HP, and even lets you avoid damage once in a while. These are just examples; there are a lot more. Also, (like in Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga) you can press a button during an attack to increase damage, (or reduce damage, during an opponents attack) thus allowing a better survival rating. You also abtain battle partners, but you can only one one at a time.

What'd I'd do to improve it:

I'd make it so you could equip all badges (there's a 30 point limit, if you get that far), and I'd add another extra boss.

Reason for rating:

I'd give it a higher rating, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as some games that I gave a 10.

I hope you enjoyed reading this. (I just played this game for the first time, so I thought I'd post my opinion online.)
By the way, how'd you like my format? I thought about doing it this way, so please give me some feedback
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help a bit with this, I'll be doing last gen reviews is that alright?(PS2,GC,and Xbox) and some last last gen games.(N64, PS)
Game: Metal Gear Solid 1
System: PS1
Metal Gear Solid is a great game for the Playstation 1. It has a fantastic story of deception and is a pretty challenging game.(I played on Easy and still got extremely fustrated, I'll get there later)

Metal Gear Solid has amazing sound and graphics for the PS1. Even though they aren't cell shaded and even though I couldn't care less about graphics(As you should know I have a Wii Hmm?) this game could've done better but eh, it's better than some PS2 games.

Metal Gear Solid's Gameplay is were the game goes down. In some boss battles it is almost impossible to win just because you can only see above you.(Ex Hind battle, Tank Battle) If you don't use your radar, you can't beat this game(Unless Hard/Extreme doesn't have radar, then that would be almost impossible. The other thing that throws me off from giving it a higher score is because of the rations. Rations are like Mario's Mushrooms, they give Snake life, if Snake runs into a battle scene and doesn't have close to full health, he must find rations quick.(EX: The Metal Gear Battle[Don't start me on that] and Hind Battle[Again])Another flaw with this game is the sound, Snake was sent to sneak into the base, controlling how you walk is almost impossible. But it doesn't make that much of a difference.

In all Metal Gear Solid is an amazing game. It has it's flaws but you can get over those quickly. OH! Super important. Do not get this game for the PS2, you need a PS1 memory card(which I don't know if it works with a PS2 but whatever).
Score: 8.6/10

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Metal Gear Solid 2
System: Playstation 2
Metal Gear Solid 2, like it's predessor(Metal Gear Solid 1) is a great game.
The controls in this game are fixed from Metal Gear Solid 1, First Person View is added and hanging from bars are added. In all this review praises Metal Gear Solid 2.

Gameplay(And story): Metal Gear Solid 2 plays as an A) Stealth game or a B) Run and shoot game
Some parts of the game even make you do both(The last hour of the tanker) The game itself is split up in two non equal parts. The 1st part you play as everyones favorite hero: Solid Snake. After dealing with the problem on the tanker, Snake is believed to be dead. A year later, you play as a FOXHOUND Operative, code named Raiden(His real name is Jack). He is sent into a large oil tanker called the Big Shell. Raiden is sent around the Big Shell defeating members of the terroist group DeadCell.(Me ends that whole stuff)

The Gameplay is much faster than Metal Gear Solid and Raiden is able to hold-up people as well. You are also allowed in this game to tranquilize enemies and hide them. All in all, this makes a major improvement from Metal Gear Solid.

The Sound: In this game you MUST be weary of your enviroments. Why you ask? Because anything or everything makes a noticeable sound in the game. The Sound that you hear during cutscenses and in-game is also better than Metal Gear Solid 1.

The Graphics: The game gets these down pretty neat. Except for some boxes, most of the things you see are pretty clear.

Score: 9.7/10
I won't give this game closer, just because it was too fast for me, the game took about 4-8 hours and the character(Raiden) was too fast for me and most people.

rkcr  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I ought to plug my little mini-review site: http://www.idunnolol.com/reviews/

They're all reviews based on the first hour of the game... apparently I'm copying someone else, but given that I had no clue someone else was doing this before I did it, I can do it guilt-free.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: NES
Game: Kid Icarus
Game Type: Adventure/RPG
Overall Rank: 7 out of 10

I got this game on Virtual Console, as well.

The Story: In a time where humans and gods coexisted in harmony, the kingdom of Angel Land was ruled by two goddesses, Palutena the Goddess of Light and Medusa the Goddess of Darkness. While Palutena administered the light and helped the mortals cultivate their crops, Medusa despised the mortals and used the darkness to destroy their crops and turn the mortals into stone. Enraged, Palutena transformed Medusa into a hideous monster and banished her into the dark Underworld.

But Medusa would not go quietly. She assembled an army of monsters and evil spirits of the underworld to conquer Palutena's home, the Palace in the Sky. War erupted and Medusa's minions overwhelmed Palutena's army, eventually imprisoning the Goddess of Light. Medusa then seized the Three Sacred Treasures—the Mirror Shield, the Arrow of Light, and the Wings of Pegasus—and gave them to her most powerful minions.

Defeated and imprisoned, Palutena's only hope was to seek the help of Pit, a young angel trapped in the Underworld. Using the last of her strength, she sent Pit a magical bow. Thus, Pit set out on a quest to escape the Underworld, retrieve the Sacred Treasures that would help him defeat Medusa, and rescue Palutena and restore peace to Angel Land.

Where YOU come in:

Defeated and imprisoned, Palutena's only hope was to seek the help of Pit, a young angel trapped in the Underworld. Using the last of her strength, she sent Pit a magical bow. Thus, Pit set out on a quest to escape the Underworld, retrieve the Sacred Treasures that would help him defeat Medusa, and rescue Palutena and restore peace to Angel Land.

Gameplay: This game is simalar to Metroid, as Pit can jump around, collect items, improve how much health he can have. The game isn't like some games you might have played, as the game is excedingly difficult, esspecially in the first couple of levels, when you have very little in the way of "Endurence" (that what they called health in that game). Improve your score, and at the end of a level, you get a heath power-up. Also, you can buy all your item power-ups, not with coins, not with Rupees, but with Hearts. Hearts are obtained by killing enemy characters. After you get the maximum amount of health, and after you get used to the game, it isn't as hard.

What'd I'd do to improve it: I'd reverse the difficulty to make it easy in the start, and hard in the end! (If you stand in a certain spot when battling Medusa, and if you keep shooting, you're basically invincible.)
I also hated the Eggplant Wizards! You turn into an eggplant, and you were basically helpless until you reached a hospital (assuming you could find one).

Reason for rating: This game was weird from start to finish. Many enemies would tend to be stupid, such as following me across the stage, then getting stumped as to where I was when I'd pull a Mario Bros. (leave one side of the screen, and appear on the other). Reapers and Reaplings are annoying at first, but if you upgrade your arrow strength, they aren't so bad.
In short, the game wasn't as satasfiying as a Mario game, except for actually beating a level (these would tend to send you back from the start if you died, with the same equipment and Hearts as when you started).
EDIT: I used wikipedia to look for the storyline.

Last edited by Qarx on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Zero3189  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock.
Overall, a pretty challenging game, but once you hit 50,000 points, you're in the clear, and just try to hit the notes.

9.5/10

(sorry, just had to do it)
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see this thread again. >.>

Think I'll actually do SMRPG, for the few of you who haven't bought it/played it. Plus, it's up on VC now, so this is as good a time as any. Dunno what I'll do next, but I can't do ten billion RPGs in a row without feeling like it's a chore.

Platform: SNES
Game: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Genre: Duh?
Rating: 7.5/10

Everyone into gaming in the least knows Mario. Up until the release of this game, there were no RPGs featuring Mario. Kind of a shock when you consider all the various titles he/other characters had been featured in up to this point.

Gameplay is standard in some ways and unique in others. You have your overworld map, which you walk around on to go from place to place. There are no random encounters here. You have your towns, of which there are seven. It's not many, but they are varied and offer your usual RPG goods - an inn, equipment shop, etc. The rest of the places in the game are also varied - You get the feeling you're actually traveling a world instead of walking to new places with the same damn palettes. Most of these are like the typical RPG dungeon or whatever you wish to call it - You walk in, fight enemies, gather up loot, and go fight a boss if one is there. You also equip weapons, armor, and accessories in typical RPG fashion. It's far more simple than the five-six slots for weaponry/armor some other games have. Nothing too new there, right?

Where the game is unique is in its fighting system. The defining feature here is the ability to time your hits so they do more damage. You have to hit A at the right time, and that time generally depends on the weapon you're using. You can even time your spells so you heal more/deal more damage. Again, timing depends on the spell, but it tends to be right before it hits, at least with spells I actually bother with. The game has a little (luckily, optional) tutorial almost right away that teaches you how to do this, and it's pretty easy to grasp for the most part. But try timing ONE HUNDRED Super Jumps. Yup, that's a challenge within the game, and the toughest by far. I haven't done it. Ever. I still try timing hits in other games, even if I know better. Should say something for how this game's system has affected my playing. I also don't know of many other games (save the first two Paper Mario iterations) in which all characters share magic, called flower points in this game. You might actually have to plan a little or refresh your FP instead of going overboard with those 15+ FP spells.

This game just looks beautiful, being one of the later SNES titles. I'd put it up there as one of the best. There are enemies that look the same yet have different colors/statistics, however. For the most part, they're unique enemies. All the towns, and nearly everywhere else, look like they had a lot of thought put into appearance and detail. The music is mostly wonderful. Some of the tracks get old quick, like whatever track is played on the ship, but I love the boss theme, amongst many of the other tracks. I find the music almost as enjoyable as that of Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3.

There's not really much to do after beating the game once, but the game has a lot of hidden secrets that you may not know of upon the first playthrough. I won't spoil them all, but amongst them are optional fights, hidden treasure, and quite a few mini-games. If you replay through the entire game for any reason, you're replaying it because you enjoyed it, as I have many times. There is nothing unlocked after you beat it or anything.

My biggest gripe is that it is short, but then I know the game quite well from having played it a lot. Even so, I don't think the average player playing for the first time will need much more than 20-30 hours to see it through to its conclusion. It's also kind of easy, but then again, that can be somewhat ascribed to a fairly intimate knowledge of the game. It's surely not as tough as the typical RPG, though - No boss, save for maybe the Factory Chief (because Gunyolk is annoying), the final one, and an optional boss, will have you tearing your hair out. These things would make the game appeal to someone who doesn't obsess over difficult/obscure RPGs, and that can be a good thing too.

Overall, I think it's a pretty fun game. It's not my absolute favorite RPG, or probably even in my top 5, but it's good and definitely one of the classics any SNES owner (or Wii owner with online capabilities) needs. It manages to be a Mario game, with the typical save the princess/world stuff and all the usual characters, while being a competent RPG in its own right. That is what I think appeals most about the game.

Last edited by Romanticide on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: NES
Game: Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
Game Type: Adventure/RPG
Overall Rank: 2 out of 10

The Story:

Shortly after the events of The Legend of Zelda, Link notices a strange mark on the back of his left hand, similar to that of the crest of Hyrule. He seeks out Impa, who responds by taking Link to a door in the North Castle; this door has not opened for generations. Impa places Link's left hand on the door, and it opens, revealing a sleeping maiden. Impa tells Link that the maiden is Zelda, the princess of Hyrule from long ago, and the origin of the "Legend of Zelda." Zelda's brother had tried to force her into telling their recently passed father's secrets, where he had hidden the three sacred golden triangle treasures of his kingdom, known collectively as the Triforce. Princess Zelda refused to reveal that information, and the prince's wizard friend, in anger, tried to strike her down with a spell. This resulted in a powerful sleeping spell, but also resulted in his own death. The prince, being unable to reverse the spell, had his sister placed in the castle tower, in the hope that she would one day be awakened. He decreed that females born to the royal family from that point on would be named Zelda, in remembrance of this tragedy

Where YOU come in:

Impa says that the mark on Link's hand means that he is the chosen hero to awaken Zelda. She gives Link a chest containing six crystals and ancient writings indicating that each crystal needs to be placed in a different palace in Hyrule. This will open the way to the Great Palace, which contains the Triforce of Courage. This has the power to awaken the enchanted Zelda. Taking the crystals, Link sets out to restore them to their palaces. Meanwhile, the followers of Ganon are seeking to kill Link; sprinkling his blood on Ganon’s ashes would bring Ganon back to life.

Gameplay: Like an RPG, really hard like Kid Icarus, but it sucked a lot more.

What'd I'd do to improve it: I'd make it more like the original

Reason for rating: I am really good at finding secrets, items, have good patience for completing the "Palaces", but could not beat this game. It was hard, had sticky controls, the "Leveling Up" was a terrible idea, dying happened too often, the lives system was terrible, and I could not find the last "Magic" that I needed to get the "Magic" I needed to get to the next "Palace". That's the last piece of cricticism I have for this game.
EDIT: I used wikipedia to look for the storyline

Last edited by Qarx on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Havikk  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Super Mario 64
Game Type: Platformer
Overall Rank: 10/10

I have to say this and only a handful of other games I've played are worthy of 10/10. This was Mario's debut in 3D and Nintendo did not disappoint. Filled with 15 diverse levels, you play as Mario, who comes to Toadstool Castle after being sent a letter from Princess Peach, asking him to come over for cake. We soon learn that the cake is a lie (omg pun intended), and that Bowser has kidnapped the princess, and has hid in one of the castle's many paintings.

The tone is immediately set, because as soon as you enter the castle, Bowser's cackling laugh can be heard. You then start off on a mission to find the castle's hidden power stars, scattered throughout the other paintings. Here lies the objective of the game. Collect Power Stars, unlock doors with said stars, earn more, rinse and repeat. At first it may sound bland, but looking back, what other game had your completing objectives while navigating toxic caverns, wall-kicking off of ice, surfing on Koopa shells, shooting out of canons, walking under water, putting on different hats to alter your genetic make-up, riding magic carpets in the sky, setting free a chompa etc. Yes this game had so many unique ways to complete a goal, people are still trying to find out more to date.

The game has tons of replay value. Even if you beat the game, chances are you didn't get all 120 stars. So back-tracking to finally figure out the secret of the pyramid, or collecting all 8 red coins in Rainbow Ride creates an amazing sense of nostalgia, even though you were there just hours ago. Bottom line: this game in my opinion is the best and most influential game ever created. This game is straight up magic, and if you don't buy it, chances are, you probably are a communist.
daniel192  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok time to drop in another review:

Portal
Developer: Valve

When you think of portal, you often find yourself thinking of a gateway to another dimension. Well in Portal case that is true.
Portal is a game developed by Valve. Valve has released games such as Counter-Strike and Half-Life.
Portal starts you in a character named Chell. She is mysteriously transferred to a testing laboratory known as Aperture Science. Inside the Enrichment Center, she bravely solves puzzles and fights turret robots. Chell is guided by the mysterious GLaDoS who reports information to Chell.

Gameplay - 9/10:
The gameplay is puzzled based. You enter test chambers which have puzzled needed to solve to get to the next one. Along the way, you get to use the Aperature Science Handheld Portal Device or ASHPD to solve these chambers. Each chamber gives you puzzles different from the last one. There are 19 chambers you must solve in order to beat the game. In the end, the player is promised cake and grief counseling.
Overall, this is why I wanted the game. The portal gun is extremely fun to use. You can create 2 different portals at once. Blue and Orange. Once you enter either of the portals, you come out of the next one.
Overall, very fun but a little short.

Sound/Music - 7/10:
Portal doesn't have a specific track repeated throughout the game, but has music which gets intense when there's action. While solving puzzles there isn't music in particular. Not much to say about the music, but the sound effects are great. GLaDoS sound really like a real sci-fi robot along the other turrets.

Graphics - 10/10:
Again, Valve continues to surprise us with breathtaking graphics. The Source engine is one of the best today, along with the Crytek engine, which beats everything. The graphics are the same as in Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source. You can clearly imagine standing there in real life. Water is great, as reflections.

Story - 8/10:
The story is simple but great. Chell has to complete 19 test chambers in order to get the cake. Before, GLaDoS is controlled to not put neuro-toxins into the facility a long time ago. In the game, she constantly sends messages to Chell about her being baked, she will be missed and other which point that GLaDoS could infact be luring her into a trap.

Overall Rating: 9/10
Portal is a great game. You cannot however buy it separately, but have to buy the Orange Box (Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2) in order to get it. It is as I said good but short. Some of the chambers are indeed long, as the final chapter in the game (Rooms back of the facility in no maintenance) is pretty long and challenging. But all in all, Portal is a game everyone should try. I would recommend it to people who like puzzle-solving games a lot.

P.S. The cake is a lie!!!
hallj05  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: SNES
Game: Cool Spot
Game Type: Platformer
Overall Rank: 7/10

In this game you play as the 7up spot, basically a red circle, and you must free your friends who are trapped in cages. To get the cage to be able to open you must collect enough spots, or 7up logos. You can also shoot bottle caps which you use to destroy your enemies that are in the way.

If you collect enough spots during a level then you get to go to a bonus level, where you are inside a glass bottle of 7up, and you bounce around on the bubbles inside of it to collect more spots, 1-ups, and a letter (which there is one of in each bonus level which spells out UNCOLA, which does nothing anymore since it used to be if you got all of them and took a picture and sent it in you could try to win a prize in some contest.)

Also this game came out on more than the SNES but I haven't played the others.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for Review #3!!!
Game: Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic(Also known as KOTOR)
System: Xbox and PC(I haven't played the PC one this is an Xbox Review)

Wow, this game is amazing.
Gameplay
Knights of the Old Republic uses a engine similar to FF12's though KOTOR, came out before Final Fantasy 12, so we'll say it's more like KOTOR's engine. The game itself plays well but does have its laggy moments. The game also has a ton of glitches but those you have to work for to find. The game itself let's you make you're own choices and finish the game with 2 different endings depending on what side you'll be on(Dark or Light) Even though most of the choices don't count in the game(Mostly at the end of the game), if you want to do stuff faster, then pick Dark side, be a real Jedi and do Light Side stuff.

Sound
KOTOR really brings the Star Wars feel into this game. It includes many types of Star Wars music, and it's own in. The lightsabers sound just like they are in the movie and the blasters... well they have a better feel than the movies. Though then again I'm just comparing this part to the movies right? Anyways, there's a just a touch of lag on the blaster sounds(As I can see) which doesn't make that much of a difference but meh it's alright.

Difficulty
This is where KOTOR gets iffy. This game is not easy(The last place you go to is hell, heck the Final Boss isn't extremely hard as getting there)
it will take you along time, many saves and many times where you only have 1 character in your party alive...which is completely fustrating and annoying.

Story
This is where KOTOR shines. When I 1st played the game, I was pretty sure I knew everything before the plot twist. I'm not going to spoil anything but, if you're bored with the game after going to 2 planets, play on, you will see how much you know. Hell, if this was a movie first, the movie itself would sell aloooooot. That's how good this story is.

Score
This game is one of the most amazing games I've ever played, it can't deserve a 10 though, because there's a lack of difficulty settings, and some of the game is glitched 75% of the time(Ex: Galaxy Bot, Some Cutscenes) So this game gets...
9.7/10

Raikri999  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might do a double review today!(The game is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES)

Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance(No I have not played MGS3:SE only Subsistance, this is a review for Subsistance only)
System: Playstation 2

*No comment/Can't comment*
Gameplay
Metal Gear Solid 3 takes you back in time to the 1960's. Instead of playing as Solid Snake, you play as his Biological father, (Yes that is spoilers, I can't do it any other way) Naked Snake/Big Boss. The game takes you inside the Cold War to stop a Russian military group from taking over the country thus, creating World War 3 and ending the world in flames. This game has great camera controls, easy walking and weapon firing(Best idea ever used in a PS2 game, use the DS PEOPLE!!; Yes that means DUAL SHOCK not DUAL SCREEN) but has a down side of the crouching and standing mechanics(Which is nice to say is fixed in MGS4). Plus, the ability to beat the game(Including bosses) without firing a lethal bullet at an opponent makes this game a bit better to those who don't want to see blood.

Sound This game has one of my all time favorite songs, ever. The Intro Theme "Snake Eater" (as most of you should know on IRC) is the only song I've requested for Rock Revolution. The Sound in the game makes you scared and sometimes makes you cry. AKA: The Sound is perfect.

Graphics This game has extremely good graphics. Even at 30 FPS(Which is 30 lower than MGS2) this game could look like something coming out of a 360 or PS3 game. Although some things aren't detailed(Bees, small objects etc.) the looks on everything look pretty nice.

Story This game's story is or almost better than any other story that has ever exsisted. It has a major plot twist at the end which takes the game to a extremely new level.

Score
This is an amazing game, and as much as I want to give it a 10... it doesn't seem fair. Soo....
9.95/10. I can't give it a 10. A 10 must be perfect, this game is extremely close to it but, it isn't perfect, so I won't give it a 10.

Qarx  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: PC
Game: Descent
Game Type: ...flying, first person shooter??
Overall Rank: 8 out of 10

The Story:

The game begins with a briefing between a bald anonymous executive of the Post Terran Minerals Corporation (PTMC) and the player, a "Material Defender" (revealed as MD1032 in the briefings) hired on a mercenary basis to gather information about a computer virus infecting the robots used for off-world mining operations. The game progresses through the solar system, from the Moon to Pluto's moon Charon. After defeating the boss robot on Charon, the Material Defender is informed he cannot return to the PTMC's headquarters in lunar orbit, as there is a chance his ship may be infected with the same virus as the defeated robots.

Where YOU come in:

N/A...there's very little story to go about, so it's all in the above catagory.

Gameplay: It's basically a first-person shooter, but instead of like every other one in the genre, THIS one takes place in a spaceship, going through a base, destroying robots that went rouge. Various different tasks include: Rescuing the hostages, obtaining the different colored keys, and destroying the main reactor (be sure you know where the exit is before you do this, or it'll cost you a life!). You have an energy bar (for ammo) and a health display (this is shown with a picture of your ship with a blue shield around it with a number above it). Various weapons can be obtained throughout the game; the primary weapon system uses your energy, while the secondary weapons have their own units. Energy, missiles (or mines), and shields can be replenished by defeating enemies or finding power-ups scattered accross the mines.
Also, you can enter cheat codes, but after entering the entry cheat "gabbagabbahey", the game says "CHEATER!", and your score goes to "0". The game also says "CHEATER!" every time you enter a cheat (every time you would normally get points, it says "CHEATER" instead of points, but it doesn't say it like it does when you enter a cheat).

What'd I'd do to improve it:

I'd make it work on my current computer (it runs at 300% speed, and has no sound)

Reason for rating: I haven't played it very recently, and when I did, I cheated to avoid dying (hey, 300% speed is HARD)

This game was rather good, but too bad it didn't last (it had two sequels, but never had any after that; the third one was released before the ESRB came around. It probably would've received a "T" or "K-A" rating)
EDIT: I used wikipedia for the story.

Last edited by Qarx on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Havikk  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Mario Kart 64
Game Type: Racing
Overall Rank: 8.5/10

Another classic Mario game that makes it's debut in 3D. The N64 version includes 16 Tracks for Grand Prix, 8 playable characters, 4 courses for the new "battle mode", and support for up to 4 players.

Similar to previous Mario Kart games, the whole element of game play is to race the computer AI in a series of "Cups" (Mushroom, Flower, Star, and Special) and achieve the highest amount of points after the 4 races per cup. The game also has 4 difficulties; 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, and Mirror with each getting progressively harder.

A plus is level design. I honestly have never enjoyed so many levels from a single racing game. Especially the ones with jumps (Royal Raceway, DK's Jungle, Wario Stadium). I love the satisfaction of seeing a top 3 drop off the left boxes because they hit my shell or box on the jump and fell. I also loved Yoshi Valley. I love it because it is so fucking confusing track wise, that Nintendo decides to fuck with you by blocking out character boxes, so you don't know what place you are in. I mean look at it!

Rainbow Road...what else can be said...easily the best track ever, it feels so epic, driving in space, 3+ minutes a lap, seeing all the characters in space. It is just amazing, not to mention the music creates an adrenaline rush (every track has good music)

There are some problems with this game. The most notorious one though is the AI. You really don't notice it around 50cc or 100cc, but once you reach 150cc, you see why I can complain. Here's a true story. I was once racing at Rainbow Road on mirror mode. I am currently in the lead (first time beating it, I know because I'll never forget this) I am only 2pts above Toad and he's in second. It's the final lap, and I don't even remember the last time I saw Toad or Donkey Kong (3rd). I see a chompa coming up and swerve right to avoid it, hit a banana, OK whatever. Still going when I get hit with a Blue Shell (die). Then lightning strikes. This is getting ridiculous, I get up to the part where the Wario constellation is, and get hit with ANOTHER Blue Shell. Then I see a banana fly by me and see Donkey Kong throw it. So on the final uphill I hear it...ANOTHER FUCKING BLUE SHELL. Hells no I thought, then I see DK get by me with a shroom (when does 2nd get a shroom?). I throw a miracle green shell to drop him and catch up when the shell hits. Luckily I had caught up, and DK gets hit with a swirl. Me, as Yoshi, has better acceleration...so I think I have it, but no...guess what. A RED SHELL HITS ME and DK. Who threw this of course? Why none other than Toad, who wins the race and the cup (I got 3rd, DK beat me). So 10 minutes alone wasted on Rainbow road (you just wasted 2 or 3 reading this). I guess what I'm trying to say is the following

-If you falter even once...ONCE...the AI will catch you.

Aside from that, you also need to USE the shortcuts even without cheap tricks to lead the race. If it wasn't for the AI this game would be higher, but I can't from my heart give this game a 9+. I still reccomend it if you do not get frustrated easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy my reviews, I will only do them per request. These things are time consuming. Right now the ones I have planned and/or near-completed:

Pokemon Red/Blue
Banjo-Kazooie
Luigi's Mansion
Kirby's Adventure
Yoshi Story

As for others, that's for you to decide.

Last edited by Havikk on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: