60%  [ 37 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 61

quackadilly  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why add an overall ranking???

It is to level the "playing field" for those whom cannot play on the harder difficulties.

Here's my logic:

If you can do it on expert, you could easily do the same or better on easy.

If you can do it on easy, you probably won't be able to do it as well on expert.

Easy is like a subset of expert. Medium is a larger subset. Hard is an even larger subset.

The expert difficulty includes all of the technique, strategy and brute force that the lower difficulties have plus some.

EDIT:
Adding an overall score rating is more or less a redundant measure that normalizes upper outliers in the statistics and further lowers the bottom ones. (meaning that those who have conquered expert won't look as spectacular, and those who are having trouble getting the easy and medium difficulties will look even worse)

Last edited by quackadilly on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it because I would be among the highest in the overall rankings, along with Echelar. But I agree with Quackadilly. It would just force Expert players to bore themselves perfecting everything on every difficulty.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

MetalMadness  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the highly ranked expert guys are saying they would ignore it anyway. Which I have no problem with. So why not go with what most of the people would like to see? It's just another statistic. I understand that most of the say, top 50, on expert are against this. But there's another 2000 plus users on here also. And most of them probably don't post in the forums either - as noted by the total votes of this poll - a very small percentage of the population. What's best for the website and community as a whole?

And by all means - I don't want to make the best players mad. I have total respect for anyone who can get through expert. Let alone master it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competitive people always want to be #1, MetalMadness. I agree with Quackadilly on this. Of course if I had great Easy/Med/Hard scores, I may disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huwonk wrote:
Competitive people always want to be #1, MetalMadness. I agree with Quackadilly on this. Of course if I had great Easy/Med/Hard scores, I may disagree.

That's kind of why I suggested not putting it on the stats signature. Look at your stats. I don't look at them and go - He's no good on easy and hard, he must stink. I look at 62nd on expert and know how good a player you are. I guess in the end I just want to see Echelar at #1 with like 35,000,000 points. I think that would be awesome to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New guy here.

I am an avid MMORPG fan, and I can tell you up front: if I wanted to play a game that rewarded dedication, I'd go play one of those games. I want to play this game to enjoy myself, and maybe to compete, but not to turn it into work.

There is really no reason to combine all the scores. Sure, I've beaten all the songs (sans some bonus tracks) on each difficulty, but I haven't even submitted my only-done-once-while-learning easy scores because I honestly don't care, and am never going to go back to them.

If there are some non-expert folks who just want an "overall" stat where they can compete, why not just have a combined easy-medium-hard score that does not list expert?

And to that effect, can the site have some kind of cookie or something that just says "default to expert" so I don't have to click the difficulty setting on each page view?
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a cumulative score for all difficulties than just one for Easy/Med/Hard. Many players only play easy, or just easy and medium. So there should be no in between. Players are already rated on individual difficulties. The only additional score I could possibly foresee is one that ranks according to total score on all difficulties.

By the way, my cum. score is 35,844,661 pts. Echelar's got me by 824,185 pts. Does anybody else have me beat?

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

Genga  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28,445,320...so no
ES942  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for hard and expert i have 23,861,515. i'm sure if i even attempted easy or medium it would be better.
Genga  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shut up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: