ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Un-Official Prog. Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychomonkey62  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parama wrote:

and if you want a stupidly long prog epic,
Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation is an hour long song, and it delivers for the most part (only got it recentely, have to listen a few more time to REALLY let it sink in.

I listened to that.......it was really good, but it was overall a pretty depressing sounding song. And the random female vocal solo in the middle was kind of odd.

dogtownzboy1 wrote:
downloadin some symphony x right now i hope thier good i always love getting into new bands

dogtownzboy1 wrote:
dude this is my first time listening to Symphony X im listening to a song called King of Terrors..so far there pretty awesome

Get the Divine Wings of Tragedy NAU! Incredible album. Particularly, Candlelight Fantasia, Out of the Ashes, Sea of Lies (epic tapping solo), Of Sins and Shadows, and the epic of a title track.

jondrody wrote:
THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE THE MARS VOLTA

Seriously though, TMV is awesome. Mainly their first 2 albums, and with Thomas Pridgen they are definitely starting to lean more toward prog metal, but Bedlam was still way better than Amputechture. And I saw them live a couple months ago, definitely one of the best shows of my life.

Other than them, I particularly like Opeth, Dream Theater, BTBAM, Rush, Pink Floyd and many others. The only big prog/anything band that I can't stand at all is Coheed. Don't ask me why, I just hate them

TMV is incredible. I love De-Loused the most, but I like every album a ton except for Amputechture. I just haven't gotten into it......

And I recommend Psychotic Waltz to everyone in this thread. They're a pretty underground prog metal band, but I'm currently in love with their debut album, A Social Grace. They're odd, but I freakin' love 'em.
Parama  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychomonkey62 wrote:
Parama wrote:

and if you want a stupidly long prog epic,
Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation is an hour long song, and it delivers for the most part (only got it recentely, have to listen a few more time to REALLY let it sink in.

I listened to that.......it was really good, but it was overall a pretty depressing sounding song. And the random female vocal solo in the middle was kind of odd.

yeah that's really the only flaw in the songalbum IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh..i thought you were going to say Green Day whenever i see a band with Green in the beginning i think Green Day.

I just want to get an opinion but does the song Jesus of Surburbia have prog. elements in it?? i know it has one:Song Length, its close to 10 minutes

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
Parama  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtownzboy1 wrote:
oh..i thought you were going to say Green Day whenever i see a band with Green in the beginning i think Green Day.

Your post makes me facepalm.

And to add some meaningfulness to this post, Prog ftw!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychomonkey62 wrote:
And I recommend Psychotic Waltz to everyone in this thread. They're a pretty underground prog metal band, but I'm currently in love with their debut album, A Social Grace. They're odd, but I freakin' love 'em.

Didn't think anyone else had heard of them before. I have that album and Dark Millenium (not really a "true" album). I love their sound, its so unique and the song structures are really complex and chaotic sounding at times with a good dose of melody. The psychedelic influence is pretty cool as well giving them an even more unique style.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, DP

Warnar wrote:
Subrick  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a really good progressive death metal band, listen to Meshuggah. The 3 songs I recommend from them are Straws Pulled At Random, Future Breed Machine, and Bleed.

And if anyone says they suck, I'll kill your dog.

Proud Atheist - If you are an Atheist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Atheists are on ScoreHero!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
http://subrick.blip.tv
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Subrick/107321395984265?ref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: None yet PSN Name: None yet
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the video for bleed is the shit i like bleed and concentation i think thats how its spelled

OT: does anyone know any good Symphonic Death Metal bands so far i like the song Mirrors Paradise by The Kovenant and partly Dimmu Borgir they are symphonic in some points

Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

psychomonkey62  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:
If you want a really good progressive death metal band, listen to Meshuggah. The 3 songs I recommend from them are Straws Pulled At Random, Future Breed Machine, and Bleed.

I listened to their album/song "I." It was pretty good. EXTREMELY technical.

Oh, and I'm really getting into bands like Atheist and Cynic now. They're both kinda like......jazz-death metal. They're fucking awesome.
psychomonkey62  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subrick wrote:

I listened to their album/song "I." It was pretty good. EXTREMELY technical.

Oh, and I'm really getting into bands like Atheist and Cynic now. They're both kinda like......jazz-death metal. They're fucking awesome.
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the video for bleed is the shit i like bleed and concentation i think thats how its spelled

OT: does anyone know any good Symphonic Death Metal bands so far i like the song Mirrors Paradise by The Kovenant and partly Dimmu Borgir they are symphonic in some points

Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

tornintwo  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtownzboy1 wrote:

Those are both black metal bands. If you like them, check out Bal-Sagoth, Profanum, Kekal and Arcturus. If you want Symphonic Death Metal, listen to Therion's debut (they were pure symphonic after that, in fact even their debut is really stretching the death part), Augury, Lykathea Aflame, Garden Of Shadows, The Elysian Fields, Dark Lunacy, Mithras, Atrocity, Mirrorthrone, early Sentenced, Nocturnus uses keyboards but aren't really symphonic, Septicflesh and Phlebotomized. There's not a lot of pure symphonic death bands with the death part in the vein of Morbid Angel or Suffocation, mostly you'll find melodic death, death/doom, or avant-garde bands. Even most of the above I wouldn't classify symphonic so much as progressive/atmospheric.

Atheist and Cynic are both great, listen to other member's side projects like Aghora, Gordian Knot, Office Of Strategic Influence. Similar bands are Pestilence, Death's Human and Individual Thought Patterns, !T.O.O.H!, Lykathea Aflame, Gorod, Ehpel Duath, Coprofago, Trepalium, Alarum, Martyr, Ephel Duath. None of those bands have quite the jazz influence Cynic and Athesit do, but its there.

Warnar wrote:
psychomonkey62  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think my new favorite Dream Theater song is Space-Dye Vest. It's just fucking brilliant.
aloneinthedark  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new Mars Volta album yesterday. Fucking brilliant album. Probably not an album of the year contender, but still very very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: