ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The 360 Version (Custom Songs)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beerus  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: The 360 Version (Custom Songs) Reply with quote

When the 360 version of Guitar Hero 2 comes out, will the process for adding custom songs still be the same? Or will it not even work anymore? Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
Riz  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these processes are entirely PS2 specific and none of them will work with GH2-360. The note data itself is likely to remain relatively unchanged, but the audio format is likely to be completely different. The process for getting the data into the game on the 360 will be radically different as well, if it is even possible at all. It will actually be a telling sign about how Activision feels about the Homebrew community, as the 360 platform presents the ability to make it vastly more difficult, if not completely impossible, to modify the game in any (non-official) way.

So the short answer is, we of course have no idea at this point, and we won't, probably, until well after GH2-360 is released.

Riz.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is to be a ray of sunshine to the whole deal, there is potential for someone to write a Guitar Hero-ish clone (i.e. Frets on Fire, FeedBack, etc) through the 360 XNA stuff.

But frankly the state of 360 XNA itself isn't looking too hot right now so I wouldn't count on it.
katamakel  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that you have to be a registered developer to do stuff for the 360, right?
My bet is that the actual game itself will be modifiable, but how many people actually have modded 360's?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I have this dream where it's the year 2010 and Red Octane has just released Guitar Hero V and I'm still playing custom songs for GH2 on my Playstation 2.

Then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Actually I'm fine with that. Really.
DOOManiac  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamakel wrote:
You do realize that you have to be a registered developer to do stuff for the 360, right?

Indeed. You have to pay the $100 yearly subscription or however much it was. Which is probably the biggest reason of why it didn't and won't catch on.

Now, PS3 + linux, there's an entirely different story...
ImaCarrot  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOOManiac wrote:
katamakel wrote:

Indeed. You have to pay the $100 yearly subscription or however much it was. Which is probably the biggest reason of why it didn't and won't catch on.

Now, PS3 + linux, there's an entirely different story...

I don't think Kata meant the XNA stuff, being able to create indy games using the XNA toolset for play on the 360 and Windows is very different from being to play backup copies of a retail game, which is what is fundamentaly needed to be able to play custom songs in GH.

Long sentences aside, playing customs on the 360 isn't really a viable option right now. While it would be very cool to do (I'm fairly certain I'll take a look at it), making customs for the 360 really has no strong advantage over customs on the PS2. In essence, what's the point?

Oh yeah, and a "Guitar Hero-ish" game isn't going to happen on XNA. Anything close enough to being like Guitar Hero enough to be worth it would step all over the IP that Activision/RedOctane owns, it would get shut down.
smellsam44  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody will find a way to mod the xbox 360 to play modded songs. I hope that red octane embraces putting custom songs on the game, but what i heard was that a bunch of indy bands will be able to get downloaded into the game via xbox live
BigFattee  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now, on the 360, you can play a back-up of a retail game. it is not possible to run a game with modifyed game information. recently, an exploit has been found on the 360 tho.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEZkykVkkFmojzapEq.php

MS has already come out with a patch for this exploit. it comes in the form of a dash update. it is possible to revert to previous versions of the dash board, so this exploit is still usable.

although, there has been no successful homebrew applications on 360 yet and there is still no way to run unsigned code using this exploit, there are many people working on this. like i said before this exploit is very recent, and i think it's just a matter of time before a breakthrough is made.

XNA subscribers probably have already made games similar to guitar hero. but they will never be guitar hero. there are many XNA subscribers. it already has caught on(i just don't think you'll see many 360 fans on a ps2 site). when a game is developed thru XNA, it can only be played on the console that has the subscription. so in order for a XNA game to get released to the public, it has to go thru MS approval. so if there ever was a game very similar to guitar hero, i don't think MS would approve it. i think we would spend less time waiting for the 360 to be hacked so we can play a back-up with altered game info. i think this is as close as we can come, right now, for custom songs in the 360 version. we gotta wait. i just hope it's sooner then later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: