ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Sonar 6 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneycpalumni  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Sonar 6 question Reply with quote

I got a copy of Sonar 6 Producer Edition and having some trouble figuring it out.

I open it up choose general midi editor import my song and go to view piano roll.

I've seen tutorials online where people are dragging the notes right on top of the music, but when I insert or drag a note I don't hear anything...?
It's showing the song track in the piano roll's title bar, but I am trying to figure out how to get the music playing behind the notes like on the tutorials.

Thanks for any help

I am an official Walt Disney World cast member.
Fangor  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to insert > audio track

Now with that track selected, go to file > import > audio and select your mp3

Now you can drag it left and right in the track view to line it up with the measures in the midi tracks. If it is snapping to whole measures and you want more precise snapping, you can change the snapping properties to something like eighth or sixteenth notes to make it easier to manage.

Once the mp3 is in place, you can make sure the tempo is at least close enough for editing, you could always go back and add tempo changes later during the syncing phase.

The piano roll is my favorite method of editing, but you can feel free to use the tab view, or the staff view just as well. I never configured my midi, so i never hear midi sounds, but i always hear the music and compare it to what i see for syncing purposes. Up to you, i know that others like to hear the piano sounds as it helps them sync it with the music a little bit better.

In the Event view, you should definitely add at least one event (you can also go ahead and delete all events that aren't note or text events as these are just excess weight that midi programs like to put in). The one event you definitely need to add is the [end] event in your Events track. Apart from that check out the midi encyclopedia sticky for all sorts of cool text events you can add to your songs, that control everything including your guitarist, band, and audience animations, lighting effects, and practice mode sections.

There are plenty of other advanced features in Sonar, but that should be all you need to get going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: