ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Everlong

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Everlong Reply with quote

I still am not able to pass this song - in fact I usually die before the first time the word "Everlong" appears in the song! (20% or earlier). As soon as the verse kicks in everything goes to mush. I tried it in practice mode and I only ended up with 68% of the notes hit! Not to mention it sounded like absolute crap on my cymbals. I just don't seem to have the two-handed chops plus bass pedal coordination yet.

However I do see some scores from some of the average players (no disrespect intended, many people are just starting) that includes an Everlong score! Since at this point I would really just like to pass the song in the first place, what's a good way to, for lack of a better word, bullshit your way through it?

I haven't tried this yet but I was thinking about skipping the yellow immediately after the snare - maybe the 16th rest there will help me stay more consistent. I know that won't get me a good score, but at this point I don't really care, I would just like a score.

Thanks for any help guys.

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention this is on the WT kit, so it's not even the awkward left-handed way you end up playing it on the RB kit.

EDIT 2: WOOHOO!!!!

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!

Last edited by hydrapower on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you, because most of my problems stem from endurance. I can usually combo up the the first chorus, but after that it's a shit fest.

What are your specific problems? Riding the hi-hat while hitting snare/bass? Staying in rhythm while doing so? I probably won't be much help, but take it into practice at 80% (slow) and trying playing the song in it's entirety. This will give a pretty memorable representation of when to hit what note with what hand.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all you want to play all of the snares with your right hand except when there are the two in a row, then go right left on the snare, right on the orange, and then left on the yellow and continue on. This is sort of awkward, but practice makes perfect. You have to be ready for the bass pedal or else you are done for and you will get totally off beat. The bass changes nearly every measure, so you have to either memorize or watch carefully on what's coming up. Often, your mind is too preoccupied with that little fill and there is a bass pedal immediately after it that you hit just a little late, throwing your entire rhythm offbeat. Play it only the slow difficulties A LOT before moving on. The more you play it, the better muscle memory you will have of it. Even if you feel like it's doing nothing, practicing this part is always helping you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I kind of ninja'd you guys IRL because immediately after I posted I took it into practice mode on Slow for a half hour. Now I have the bass pedal pattern down well enough, so I think just the main problem now is yellow chops. I then played the song for almost 2 hours and made it a few times to 34% which is the end of verse 2. I feel if I could get to the Chorus 1 of Freedom I could get through the rest of the song, because wouldn't I accumulate at least half a bar there for emergency? Then it's just finding a way to make it through verse 3 which I imagine I could do if my rock meter's green again. I hate the fact that this game has the GH3 rock meter where it takes a long time to go from green to yellow but then you go from yellow to fail in a second.

My arms are pretty tired now so I'll take a break for a day and then come back to it some more on Monday. I'll get it the real way, no bullshit required.

Thanks.

Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start to wear out, press the start button very quickly (Or the 360 guide button). This will give you time to rest your hands and then get back on it. Even though you will miss notes, it should prove to not fail you.

If you are so inconsistent with it that this isn't working either, try putting on the "No kick" cheat and trying it. (You may want to use the first technique along with this if needed) Play through a few times with Auto Kick, and then work your way up to trying to kick them with the cheat still on, then you can take the cheat off and you wont notice its gone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitt333 wrote:
When you start to wear out, press the start button very quickly (Or the 360 guide button). This will give you time to rest your hands and then get back on it. Even though you will miss notes, it should prove to not fail you.

If you are so inconsistent with it that this isn't working either, try putting on the "No kick" cheat and trying it. (You may want to use the first technique along with this if needed) Play through a few times with Auto Kick, and then work your way up to trying to kick them with the cheat still on, then you can take the cheat off and you wont notice its gone

Eh, I'm not really up for cheating since I can't put my score in then. As I mentioned I mostly have the bass pedal pattern down so now it's a matter of keeping up with the yellow. Pausing might be an option since many people do that during, say, Run to the Hills.

But anyway, I'm almost to the chorus so if I can get there I'm sure I'll be home free.

Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the pace of the song is the same throughout. So if you can hit the intro yellows then you should be ok with the rest. I start with my right hand which means the red is hit right-handed also. Might be similar to Crazy Train? Only slower. The bass pedal is the harder part I feel, there seem only 2 different patterns for this so, if you do have this down you ought to pass pretty soon I would hope. Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
zepp3lin526  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem keeping the rhythm of this song, fatigue was always my issue. I had the idea to lower my yellow cymbal into the packaged position, and sure enough I passed it for the first time. If fatigue is ever a problem for you, try that. Your hands and arms have to move less.
FourSpades  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Everlong Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
I just don't seem to have the two-handed chops plus bass pedal coordination yet.

Why are you making a thread for help when you already know what the problem is and how to fix it?
My YouTube! Latest Videos: Crazy Train, Metropolis Part 1I, and Midnight
Injoy wrote:
I'll have a FAGS by the end of tonight I think.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Everlong Reply with quote

FourSpades wrote:
hydrapower wrote:
I just don't seem to have the two-handed chops plus bass pedal coordination yet.

Why are you making a thread for help when you already know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Well fixing endurance is a more gradual process. My main motivation was to see if there was something I was missing here since many players who have lesser scores than me on most other songs have found a way to pass this one, whereas I haven't.

Admittedly though, this might be moot now since I've almost broken through on it playing the correct way.

marko34256  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres nothing i can do to help you fix your endurance without actually seeing you play...but heres some suggestions:

most obvious, take it into practice and slow it down. start with just the hands, once you get hands down, then go with just the bass. once you get that down, add the two together. slowing it down will be the start to fixing any coordination issues

if you had no drum skills/lessons whatsoever before buying this game (or rock band), i'm willing to bet that you're playing with incorrect technique and/or hitting the drums way harder than they need to be hit.

i'd argue that the best technique to use for playing rb/wt sets is from marching tenor/quads/quints/etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14B1vVwMq2k&feature=related

take note that he beats the drums from barely moving his wrist, and has minimal movement from the elbows up. lots of people think the drums need to be hit way harder than they need to be and also move their arms at the elbow. for you, focus on minimizing your arm movement as much as possible and youll gain a lot more endurance--and if you haven't done so already, look up videos on how to hold sticks correctly.

another thing is to not tense up/flex your arms as you play. believe it or not, the more relaxed you are, the faster you'll be able to play.
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG First pass finally! I don't even care about the score or streak yet - I was so excited when I made it to the Chorus of Freedom that I missed all kinds of easy crap. I didn't fuck around with Verse 3 either, I just activated right away (good thing too because I would have lost it and then probably had a nervous breakdown).

So yes, it was as simple as Practice Mode + lrn2relax = great success. Thanks guys! I'll probably lock this now.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: