ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
YB-RY-YB in Rebel Yell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDSmith  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: YB-RY-YB in Rebel Yell Reply with quote

OK, I'm confused as to the proper way to hit these notes in Rebel Yell, which come along quite often. I'm on a WT kit. I either do it by moving both my arms in unison:

L L L
R R R

or I keep my right hand on yellow and hit red and blue back and forth with my left:

R L R
L R L

but neither one seems right. How does an actual drummer hit sections like these?

Last edited by DVDSmith on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
doubleornothin  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RY-YB-RY in Rebel Yell Reply with quote

DVDSmith wrote:

I either do it by moving both my arms in unison:

L L L
R R R

This is how I hit it.
I'm not exactly the best drummer though
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I played that song, I missed everytime those came up. Then last night we played BQP and I FCd it (2nd time ever playing it)

It's much easier for me to hit as LR LR LR, esp when you know they're coming up.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a real drummer. The key to drums (and playing most instruments) is economy of motion. You want to move as little as possible. In your example, I would recommend hitting the yellow with your LEFT hand for all 3 chords. This frees up your right hand to toggle between the blue and red more easily...
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the first method. It feels pretty awkward on the WT set but I find it more reliable, personally, than passing the left hand underneath to hit the blue. I guess it is personal preference as to which you are more consistant with.

Did ABee really mean Left hand yellows? I play right hand yellow the majority of the song, so left-handing all 3 would still require 2 position changes. But, I am not a "real" drummer either.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesir I did mean LEFT on yellow. The main reason is to avoid having one hand go 'under' the other. I guess you make a good point that the position change to get your LEFT hand on the yellow in the first place might be ackward for some people. I frequently play the high hat with either had depending on what other pieces of the kit I need to hit. If I am playing with a part that has alot of toms along with the high hat I will ofter employ the left hand on the hight hat technique. (I am actually posting all of this backwards which is tough. I play drums lefty, with the lefty flip on in the game. I think I have properly mirrored everything to describe right handed play.)
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, it's the same on the RockBand kit and I play it the first method with no trouble at all.
I also play real set and will play certain things with the "odd" hand if it makes it easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockband kit is super easy compared to GH's for this section. Rockband is naturally LR LR LR, while the first few times this occurs on the WT kit, it's counter intuitive as how to play it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point. I didn't appreciate the ability to play hi-hat with the weaker hand, I can't really do it myself so it didn't occur to me.

As Element says, given the Yellow is not raised on the RB kit, it didn't ought to be an issue. For myself, as I assume with the OP, it is the height of the Yellow/Hi-Hat that is causing the difficulty, not the notes specifically.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
Trogdon  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the left hand from red to blue. Tuck it under the cymbal.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FCed this twice tonight (making total 3)

and, if you're still having difficulty try hitting them slower with the LR LR LR pattern. The key is barely using any energy while riding the hi-hat to keep stamina for this tempo for the entire song. Their first occurrence shouldn't be a problem, but later in the song they come more frequently. Try not to get caught up with the motion as its just essentially twisting your body a few degrees. I try an make these hits as light as possible with the exception of the accented pair.

g0dly  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that you SHOULD use left on the hi hat for the yellow blue notes, but when i play it i always keep using my right. it feels like it would be far more natural to do it the other way if i was skilled enough to pull it off, but i've only been playing expert for 2 days now...

its wierd to play them the other way because i have to lift my elbow up really high just so that i can hit the blue pad with my stick. i had the same problem when i was playing the mars volta song.
quade92  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 'real' drummer and I have also FC'ed this song, what I do is keep the pace of the Hi-Hat yellow with my right hand whilst tucking my left underneath to hit the blue. This way you don't lose your rhythm of the hi-hat pace. But further in the song you get 3 yellow/blue notes at the same time, in this case switch position and hit them with your left on the yellow and right on the blue.
I'm not really good at explaining I know but i hope you get what I mean
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Quade92
calan  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quade92 wrote:
I am a 'real' drummer and I have also FC'ed this song, what I do is keep the pace of the Hi-Hat yellow with my right hand whilst tucking my left underneath to hit the blue. This way you don't lose your rhythm of the hi-hat pace. But further in the song you get 3 yellow/blue notes at the same time, in this case switch position and hit them with your left on the yellow and right on the blue.
I'm not really good at explaining I know but i hope you get what I mean

This is what I do, but I think I'm gonna try using my left (weak) hand for the hi-hat, just as an excercise to develop it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: