ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Bass pedal movement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ieattables  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Bass pedal movement Reply with quote

I've been playing drums on hard & expert a bit, and I've found that my Bass pedal moves around alot - If I'm just playing in the most comfortable position, I need to move it back 2 or 3 times per song. What I currently do is have my toes wrapped over the end of the bass pedal, but I find it quite uncomfortable, and the pedal still moves around a bit. Does anyone have any idea how to stop my bass pedal from moving around? I'm playing on a carpeted area, by the way.
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your on the World Tour kit since the RockBand pedal has notchs; You may want to try putting something heavy in front of it so it can't move. I'm not exactly sure how the WT kit is set up but you should be able to place a heavy box or some weights in front of the pedal so it doesn't move forward every time you hit it. Also, you should make sure you are hitting it downward not at an angle forwards. You should be playing this way anyway but if you exaggerate that downward movement, it should help prevent your problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yeah, I did consider a weight of some kind. Is there anything you can recommend using which I'm likely to have, or will I need to go on an object hunt through my house?

I do kinda hit it forward, which might be the problem, actually. Where should I have the pedal in relation to the drums? Directly under the body, or closer to me (judging by the RB kit notch, I would guess further away, under the drums, but surely that would just cause more problems?). I've tried playing more downwards before, though, all I end up doing is double hitting the pedal. Perhaps there's something wrong with my general technique? I generally use a full leg stomp - it's all I can do really, my foot doesn't bend up and down like it should do.
Kirbyatic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're going for weights, you're going to need alot, I use approximatly 18 lbs of weights on carpet. it still moves, but nowhere near as often. I usually move it back after about 1 or 2 songs
TheRaw  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna want it fairly close to you and to the right side (if you're right footed).
I'm not sure what to use as a weight. You probably dont have any free wieghts lying around that you could pile on top of each other...
I'm sure other people have had this problem so we can wait for someone to post one of their ideas on how to fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a wooden floor for my drums and I had this problem too, solved it with a good old blob of Blutac though

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetac? O_o

Wow. I'm taking my WT set into school tomorrow for a charity event, and the room we're using is a wooden flood, so thanks for the advice
Bulletti  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved that problem differently than any of those.
There are rubber ''feet'' under the drum kit's legs, so I decided to make use of them. I went on a quest around my house and I found exactly what i wanted: something longer than the drum kit's width and also flat/small in diameter.

I lodged the object (in my case, folded cardboard) under the kit legs, and placed the pedal against the long, flat object. Doesn't move at all, and it's in perfect position for me ^^
g0dly  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my world tour kit came with velcro on the bottom of the pedal... if yours didn't come with it, you could just go buy some velcro with adhesive tape on the other side so that it sticks to the carpet. it works like a charm for me, my pedal takes a lot of force to move, and i have to use both hands to lift it off the carpet when i move my drums.
Azerach  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoelace around the leg of my stool

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stp81149bv3.jpg
Orson  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding it steady with my left foot on the bottom of the pedal, any1 else tried this?
AvaCaDo  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the kit for xmas and it moves around a hellova lot, tried limiting its movement back and forward by wrapping up the cable so it taut but not stretched you you know what i mean.

When i noticed the velcro on the bottom i thought that to be the best idea.

Even if i secure it though with weight it still rotates left and right which is annoying and it double hits alot when i play faster. I use the heel lift/kept pressed down method/foot stomp mostly and this happens alot. Any advice on a slightly altered method of using that would ensure no double hits (not toe up push down thx!)

A
Azerach  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvaCaDo wrote:
Just got the kit for xmas and it moves around a hellova lot, tried limiting its movement back and forward by wrapping up the cable so it taut but not stretched you you know what i mean.

When i noticed the velcro on the bottom i thought that to be the best idea.

Even if i secure it though with weight it still rotates left and right which is annoying and it double hits alot when i play faster. I use the heel lift/kept pressed down method/foot stomp mostly and this happens alot. Any advice on a slightly altered method of using that would ensure no double hits (not toe up push down thx!)

A

i play the same way and i used the tuning kit to adjust the sensitivity for the bass pedal, no double hits or accidental hits and now i can push the pedal down carefully and it wont count it as a hit if i need to rest my leg and the pedal is up.
AvaCaDo  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a read around it seems the usb MIDI cable and tuning is the way to sort 99% of sensitivity problems

Cheers!
A
Swigga  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a rug in front of it. Or a mat or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: kingofhearts948
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: