ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Dodgy pads (or player)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Dodgy pads (or player) Reply with quote

So I can't hit parts with combinations of Blue and Green pads too good. For example Go Your Own Way and Mountain Song. I feel that you can agree these are not especially difficult songs, especially the Blue and Green sections, but I can't seem to hit them too well. My chief suspect is the blue pad, but could be the green also.

Both pads appear to respond fine at all other times, just not in these cases. Is there some kind of fix or test for this, or should I just RMA the kit to save the hassle?

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. I do have the midi > usb cable and have put sensitivity on both down a bit, but does not appear to help.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a progressively worse blue pad in the same situations. When it's blue and green the blue has a chance of dropping out. Sometimes blue by itself will drop out if I play too soft. I try to make sure I'm hitting it hard enough but since I'm used to playing softly it's hard to go from soft to hard and back again.

I would try turning up the blue's sensitivity really high (like 19 or 20) and see if it helps at all.

You could RMA but it's at your expense.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my sensitivity down all the way for my blue pad, and it's still crosstalking with all the others. Really frustrating a few note from the end of Mountain Song last night ><

I dont get it though. When I play RB, none of the pads get picked up well, and when I play GH they crosstalk. We need good peripherals for once, I'm tired of the crappy instruments for both games.

At least they got the microphone right :\

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your other pads are activating when you hit blue, then adjusting the sensitivity of the blue will do nothing. You need to LOWER the sensitivity of the pad that is false triggering when you hit blue. If this does not help then your issue is different than crosstalk which is a vibration issue...
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABee1010 wrote:
If your other pads are activating when you hit blue, then adjusting the sensitivity of the blue will do nothing. You need to LOWER the sensitivity of the pad that is false triggering when you hit blue. If this does not help then your issue is different than crosstalk which is a vibration issue...

Yeah, it's not some other pad going off. It's almost like an anti-crosstalk where hitting blue with something else results in a small possibility that blue will not register. It does "better" by itself then in conjunction with another note.

Raising the sensitivity sometimes helps with that.

Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
ABee1010  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, I guess I am used to calling that something different than crosstalk. Crosstalk in reference to electronic drums is a term that has been around far before GH or RB. It specifically refers to the phenomena of the vibration resulting from hitting a pad false triggering a different pad. This is more of an issue with real E-drums because you need your drums to be sensitive enough to pick up on lighter hits when playing with diverse dynamics. Video drums pretty much eliminates the concept of dynamics so you can afford to have higher threshold levels and largely avoid crosstalk. Higher end drum modules have built in algorithms to help reduce cross talk.

I guess the GH crowd is using the term to describe other types of problems which I will just have to get used to.

Anyway, the problem you describe seems interesting and I have seen that issue posted before. I can't understand what would cause a pad to malfunction only when another pad is hit. It must be some type of electrical interference rather than vibrational. I have been looking around on Ebay for a broken drumset to dissect for a better understanding, but have not found any deals yet...
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the sensitivity of the blue pad up did not appear to help, putting it way down to 0/1 just stopped it registering most hits. I'm now starting to think it is more song specific sections rather than just the blue f.e. I hit the intro to Crazy Train fine, HFT intro fine (in practice, slowed down :P) etc. But then I always drop/miss lots in Go Your Own Way and Mountain song, even the Solo D roll from Hotel California drops during the blue notes every time but I can hit the Solo E roll right after it just fine, and it is the exact same roll.

I thought about taking it to my friend's house, since he has the same full band kit, but then I guess I would only narrow it down to my drums, xbox or even the game itself? All of which would probably result in sending the whole pack back for replacement anyway. I'll ring tomorrow about RMA and see what response I get!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Sulfurus PSN Name: Sulfurus
hydrapower  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I played Mountain Song and I made a conscious effort to hit every blue+green instance a little bit harder than normal. I didn't have any drops. I think maybe it's because you get used to playing certain parts of certain songs with a certain level of force and sometimes it's just under the threshold needed to register the hit if you blue drum is dodgy. Especially, being right-handed, my left arm isn't nearly as strong.

Good luck.

Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I RMA'd the kit, and got the new one the next day, somehow... Seems no better than the previous one, which leads me to believe it is me being shit - I drop tons playing in practice mode on different speeds too. I'll give this one a few days and see how it runs before deciding whether to replace it again.

Oh, I did try various sensitivities and strength of hits too :/
agenttaco91  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfurus wrote:
So I RMA'd the kit, and got the new one the next day, somehow... Seems no better than the previous one, which leads me to believe it is me being shit - I drop tons playing in practice mode on different speeds too. I'll give this one a few days and see how it runs before deciding whether to replace it again.

Oh, I did try various sensitivities and strength of hits too :/

no, I'm fairly certain it's just the game... which doesn't make any sense, because it makes a bit of difference to hit it sternly in the middle. Anyway, I have this problem too. In Satch Boogie on the second SP where it is a red every note and it goes B/B/G/G/G/G/O with each of the b/gs being a double with the red, I can't hit that part at all. It sucks because I can't refirst the damn thing. my path is about 373k with only miss being in that ... part right before solo f. Anyway... good luck, mountain song pisses me off too.

rb2: 84/84 5 stars, 82/84 gold 5 stars (STTP and visions left)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: