ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Most FRUSTRATING RPG moment (Thread 1 of 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverSwift  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two defining moments for me...

#1: Star Ocean 3: Til The End of Time. Basically, anyone who's played the game (and I mean really played it), only a few words are needed. Freya. Two hours. 500K health left. Ether Strike. Death.

To the rest of you, Freya is the uber-boss of the game, takes at least one hour to defeat, and that's if you're awesome. I whittled down the HP from 60 million to 500K, and then got nailed right at the death...aaargh! Still haven't beaten Freya to this day. >_<

#2: Xenosaga 2. Far less epic, but just as annoying- the first fight with Albedo, inside MOMO. Again, Xenosaga players will know it well...the regenerating arms just stumped me for an age, and I was underlevelled as it was. I kept using my usual conservative healing techniques, and therefore I never did anything to him. Took me a loooong time to understand what to do, and even then he was majorly tough! Definitely a pain-in-the-ass boss if I ever saw one.

emptyset wrote:
I should ban you all and never look back.
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck at Adel in Lunatic Pandora in FF8, probably due to not leveling my characters properly. The kicker is that all mobs accessible at this point in the game are only worth 1 exp, so I can't level up. This was like 4 or 5 years ago, and I haven't played since.

Maybe I can level my guys, and someone knows how?

Dreyvas  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blehgopie wrote:
I'm stuck at Adel in Lunatic Pandora in FF8, probably due to not leveling my characters properly. The kicker is that all mobs accessible at this point in the game are only worth 1 exp, so I can't level up. This was like 4 or 5 years ago, and I haven't played since.

Maybe I can level my guys, and someone knows how?

FFVIII doesn't care about level, it cares about your junctions. You need to have good magic set to your characters in order to be effective.
greatcodo27  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing to me is that I maintain that I sucked bad at FF when I was into it, like really into it from FF7 to FF9, I just played through and knew virtually none of the basics of RPGS and such, but didn't encounter a lot of difficulty in beating them. That said, I never 100% completed them really, like in 7 I didn't beat the weapons, I beat the underwater one, but only because of gameshark, it was a weird glitch, because I had infinite life on but cloud was killed with the first hit, but I had infinite limit break on, and tifa and cait sith (I'm not joking, this was my party, I told you I sucked) just repeatedly did limit breaks forever and they weren't attacked again, I even just let the game go on by itself until the weapon was killed.
As for frustration, without a doubt, Diablo 2. Coasting through parts so easy then out of nowhere something casts some sort of curse on you and you die in a second, I could eat the keyboard when that happens. Ohh and retreiving your corpse thereafter, just as entertaining. That and those little stygian dolls in act 3 that explode upon death, so nice to die on account of them, yay!

Cody Murphy's Facebook profile
catfish7  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
Getting a Gold Chocobo

Holy hell what a process that was! When I finally got it and Knights of the Round though, I was one happy little boy.

I always have a tendency to never save when I first start an RPG, so I got 2 or 3 hours into FFXII and died in some mark battle with some ungodly strong something or other. Didn't play the game for a month, came back to it and realized it was pretty boring, and haven't played it since. Guitar Hero has sucked the fun out of all other genres of gaming I used to like except Tony Hawk games.
greatcodo27  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot the gold chocobo, that definately goes on the list as well

Cody Murphy's Facebook profile
Razzmatazz  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI For those of you who can't beat Yunalesca in FFX, her 3rd form pattern is Mega Death, Hellbiter, Hellbiter, Mind Blast, Hellbiter, Mega Death, repeat. Any of the Hellbiters could also be Curaga or regen. I would know. I spent 90 minutes beating her without the Sphere Grid, Overdrives, Aeons, Customizing, Escaping, or Blitzball also without a No Encounters Item. Trust me on this pattern.

Strangely enough, my most frustrating moments happened in FFX. The first one was against none other than S. Natus (The one in Bevelle). This was in the challenge I mentioned earlier (no sphere grid, no summon, no...) so getting to him was a pain in the ass. Then, once I get there, the little bitch kills me in two turns! Pissed me off big time.

Second most frustrating moment (more so than the first) was, surprise surprise, Yunalesca. 70~ish minutes into the battle. Same challenge. I switch out team zombie ( to take mega death). Well, they arem't zombies. No worry, her pattern says hellbiter comes next. Lol no. Against all odds (there's less than 10 % chance of this) she uses Curaga. I threw the controller into the wall. The bitch killed me, she had only thousands of HP left

And here's two things I would've expected to be said by now. Choccobo Catcher and the Butterfly game. Seriously, the god damned Choccobo trainer cheats!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:
popemobile wrote:
Getting a Gold Chocobo

That was such a bitch. I feel like that's the kind of crap that sucks the fun out of games.

ahhh, but it is so worth it the first time you see Knights of the Round, and then proceed to dominate Emerald Weapon with it
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
JHetfield0816 wrote:
popemobile wrote:
Getting a Gold Chocobo

That was such a bitch. I feel like that's the kind of crap that sucks the fun out of games.

ahhh, but it is so worth it the first time you see Knights of the Round, and then proceed to dominate Emerald Weapon with it

QFT.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
Fisch  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else here ever played azure dreams? There was only a single 50 floor dungeon, and every time you went in you dropped to level 1, and could only bring 5 items. You have pet monsters that dont delevel, but they use up energy as they go along, and if you dont bring in ungodly weapons with you, there worn out after 10 floors tops, becouse you can only bring in 5 items. Unfortunately, there were traps which made your weapons lose power, so you had to use a gold sword the whole time, since its immune, but if you die in the tower you lose em forever anyway. About a hundred hours in, ive tempered a gold sword with +25 attack power, after making it to floor 44 in my last attempt, and a damn pick pocket monster steals my sword right before the levels floor collapsesand it kicks me to the next one.
McGee  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHetfield0816 wrote:

Yeah, I should have made a thread about fighting game-anger stories. I have a LOT of those.

Have you ever played Tekken 5? That game made me the angriest I think I have ever been. Jinpachi (final boss; fag) is the cheapest sob I have ever come across. Of course, I still somehow forced myself to keep playing the game (mostly because I had invested 50$ in the game, and didn't have any other good games to play at the time) until I finally beat him with every character.

Anyway, on topic:
Definitely, Xenosaga Ep. 1.
I had been playing it and enjoying it very much, until I fought a boss about 30 hrs in, and realized I hadn't upgraded my mechs (wtf are the names of those things?) enough to beat the boss, and the only place to get the parts I needed was about 4 hours back, completely out of my reach. So, I had to start over, this time making sure I had the right parts, everything in order, got through the boss easily, but, having rushed a little earlier on to get back to where I was, I had become extremely underleveled, and as a result, had to level up for about 10 hours.

Got past that part, got a little further in...and my memory card got wiped out. Completely. Hundreds of hours of gaming progress, gone. At that point, I didn't have any piss left in me. I just sat down and cried. No, really, I cried. NEVER played that game again.
bcruise  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Anyway, on topic:
Definitely, Xenosaga Ep. 1.
I had been playing it and enjoying it very much, until I fought a boss about 30 hrs in, and realized I hadn't upgraded my mechs (wtf are the names of those things?) enough to beat the boss, and the only place to get the parts I needed was about 4 hours back, completely out of my reach. So, I had to start over, this time making sure I had the right parts, everything in order, got through the boss easily, but, having rushed a little earlier on to get back to where I was, I had become extremely underleveled, and as a result, had to level up for about 10 hours.

Got past that part, got a little further in...and my memory card got wiped out. Completely. Hundreds of hours of gaming progress, gone. At that point, I didn't have any piss left in me. I just sat down and cried. No, really, I cried. NEVER played that game again.

[Xenogeek]They're called A.G.W.S. (pronounced "eggs") or Anti-Gnosis Weapon System.[/Xenogeek]

And I had a majorly frustrating moment in Xenosaga Episode II where my disk would freeze every time just before entering the last "real" boss fight of the game. In the end, I had to resort to watching the ending scenes (about a half hour's worth) downloaded off the 'net. I also gave up any hope of doing the post-game stuff because of that. Fortunately I didn't miss any plot elements in there, and Ep. III had me up to speed very quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: