Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Baseball: Guys it's football season who cares about baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havikk  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of NCAA ball, how about OSU's amazing 29.12 ERA over two games in the regionals? They lost to FSU 37 to 6 and at one point it was 31 to nothing...in the 5th.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I've seen enough of J.J. Putz. Something has to be wrong with him. (And none of this "He's used to closing" bullshit. He pitched great in April as the 8th inning guy, so that excuse is out the window.) Parnell has earned himself the setup spot, and I want to see him in it until Putz gets his stuff back.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
Alright. I've seen enough of J.J. Putz. Something has to be wrong with him. (And none of this "He's used to closing" bullshit. He pitched great in April as the 8th inning guy, so that excuse is out the window.) Parnell has earned himself the setup spot, and I want to see him in it until Putz gets his stuff back.
This man speaks the truth.
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in a baseball card shop since 1994 and I wanted to inject a little of that knowledge into this thread. Warning: I'm a big Tigers fan.

The greatest baseball card never made:

These four players all have rookie cards in the 1978 Topps baseball card set. They (along with Kirk Gibson whose rookie card year was 1981) made up the nucleus of the 1984 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers team. The 1984 Tigers are one of the greatest teams in the history of professional baseball. They started the season with a mind-boggling 35-5 record. Trammell and Whitaker even scored a guest appearance on Magnum P.I. as a result of their success (and Thomas Magnum being a huge Tigers fan).

Back to the card:

Most of the rookies in the 1978 Topps set were issued on cards with four players per card (like the one shown above). However, they were not grouped by team, but by position (Example: Alan Trammel is actually on card #707 along with shortstops Paul Molitor, U.L. Washington and Mickey Klutz all of whom played for different reams).

This fantasy card is to show what could have been the greatest Tiger rookie card of all time (maybe 2nd to the 1954 Al Kaline) if only Topps had grouped Rookies by team like they have in other years. It is my opinion that if this card would have been made, it would have a Beckett price guide value of about one hundred dollars.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh....ANOTHER fucking injury. It won't end will it.

On the bright side, the Mets are playing EXTREMELY well for the players they are using. Everyday it seems like the entire line up is minor league players, or bench players starting. To have a record that we have right now with that is unbelievable. (I don't see any other team in baseball playing with what we have right now.)

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, baseball cards! One of the few usernames I'll use at other forums when I don't want to be known as Alakaiser is "Honus Wagner". I'm sure you know the significance of that name if you work in a card shop.

Want to see totally exciting updates in my life in 140 characters or less? Check out my Twitter!
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
Ooh, baseball cards! One of the few usernames I'll use at other forums when I don't want to be known as Alakaiser is "Honus Wagner". I'm sure you know the significance of that name if you work in a card shop.
That card is so rare, I read an article on it that couldn't even use a picture of the actual card, but had to use a picture of a replica (not even a joke).

I haven't bought a pack of baseball cards in forever (they're too damn expensive now). It seems that buying a pack and hoping to get a good player (or a random rookie card) just isn't as exciting as paying twice as much on the off chance that you'll get a piece of Vladimir Guerrero's uniform [take a guess why I picked that example ]. Also, I am once again reminded that I need to send cards to Beckett. I have some rookie cards in great condition sitting in a shoebox in my closet (in cases).

Slightly more on-topic: Yankees! \o/

>_>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple un-official baseball records:

The Greatest 'Fro in MLB History - Oscar Gamble (1976 Topps Traded):

Bob Costas reportedly carries a 1976 Topps Traded Oscar Gamble card in his wallet along with a 1958 Mickey Mantle Topps All-Star card.

The Longest Neck in MLB History - Ed Brinkman (1972 Topps):

Interesting Fact: There are actually thousands of cards that are rarer than the 1909 T-206 Honus Wagner, but none of them are nearly as valueable.
stealthamo  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN has reported that the Braves have released Tom Glavine.
STFU, IBIATCL, AYGGMW ZWDC(C), YGSY aside, prove the TOAHIAPH/EIFL model is still GHWT-RB2 AOK for NSFT/HMX IMHO IHMFLY LTMDTT POTUS HIV IDK my BFF jill
BRB AFK
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: stealthamo Wii Friend Code: 356602567334
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealthamo wrote:

Yeah, just saw this on SportsCenter. I can safely say baw, as Glavine one was of my favorite players to grow up with. He was an amazing pitcher and I really hoped he could've pitched for the Braves again. He was pitching very well on his rehab assignments.

In other news, Braves come back from a 5 run deficit to win for the first time this year. Whee. Wood pitched amazing for the Cubs, but their bullpen just couldn't hold on. Padres lost last night, but Gonzalez hit another homerun, this time with a man on. Can't believe that he has as 22 HR's and 43 RBI's. Also, Hairston is injured which is a huge blow to the team. He was hitting amazingly and I hope he has a speedy recovery so he can help the team.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, the Bravos picked up Nate McClouth. Pittsburgh is in chaos over the buccos now. It's getting really bad. People are calling in to talk shows and swearing so they have to get cut off. I am not a Pirates fan, they are a disgrace to Pittsburgh. This is what they do, trade away all-stars. People are fucking pissed here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdawg95 wrote:
stealthamo wrote:

Yeah, just saw this on SportsCenter. I can safely say baw, as Glavine one was of my favorite players to grow up with. He was an amazing pitcher and I really hoped he could've pitched for the Braves again. He was pitching very well on his rehab assignments.

In other news, Braves come back from a 5 run deficit to win for the first time this year. Whee. Wood pitched amazing for the Cubs, but their bullpen just couldn't hold on. Padres lost last night, but Gonzalez hit another homerun, this time with a man on. Can't believe that he has as 22 HR's and 43 RBI's. Also, Hairston is injured which is a huge blow to the team. He was hitting amazingly and I hope he has a speedy recovery so he can help the team.

Umm, Wood isn't on the Cubs any more. Also FUCK THE CUBS' BULLPEN FUCK FUCK FUCK. (Specifically, Marmol's excessive walks, and Heilman;s overall suckage)

At least we won tonight. Christ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joerod wrote:
Umm, Wood isn't on the Cubs any more. Also FUCK THE CUBS' BULLPEN FUCK FUCK FUCK. (Specifically, Marmol's excessive walks, and Heilman;s overall suckage)

At least we won tonight. Christ.

Oh I said Wood lol. Meant to say Wells. But Chipper seems to have his hitting, even with his fucked up toe. He tied the game with a looping double, but we just couldn't get anymore support. Baw is an appropriate term there. Padres also lost, again. The Phils have just had too good starting pitching. Again, baw. Hopefully Hairston can get back soon.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers starting pitching needs a serious renewal right now. Yeah, yeah, we all knew it'd be a problem after losing C.C. and Sheets, but seriously, Parra giving up 10 runs on Tuesday and Looper not able to get 3 outs with an 8 run lead...*head desk*. Our only saving grace is our bats are starting to heat up again and our bullpen has been rock. solid. McClung and Burns went 8 innings with 1 run allowed the last two matchups (and Hoffman closing never hurts). Only problem was the 15 runs allowed before them by our starters. Yeesh.

At least the Cards and the Reds were beating up on each other the last few days. I'm still waiting for joe's Cubs to come roaring back...ANNYYY MINUTE NOW.
joerod  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
Brewers starting pitching needs a serious renewal right now. Yeah, yeah, we all knew it'd be a problem after losing C.C. and Sheets, but seriously, Parra giving up 10 runs on Tuesday and Looper not able to get 3 outs with an 8 run lead...*head desk*. Our only saving grace is our bats are starting to heat up again and our bullpen has been rock. solid. McClung and Burns went 8 innings with 1 run allowed the last two matchups (and Hoffman closing never hurts). Only problem was the 15 runs allowed before them by our starters. Yeesh.

At least the Cards and the Reds were beating up on each other the last few days. I'm still waiting for joe's Cubs to come roaring back...ANNYYY MINUTE NOW.

Hey, we have injuries like hell :|
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 30 of 75

Jump to: