Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Thoughts on Paranormal Activity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendover  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:
I flinched once the entire movie

So, you think jump/shock value is more important then demented plot and creepy atmosphere/tension?

I want you to go read something like "The Cask of Amontillado" and tell me it isn't terrifying in every way possible, and it's a short story, so it's impossible for there to be any flinch value, except maybe at how demented the story gets.

Skype wrote:
[4:09:44 PM] Jared Brock: War Ensemble is easy as hell [on drums]

Last edited by Bendover on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

So, you think jump/shock value is more important then demented plot and creepy atmosphere/tension?

I want you to go read something like "The Cask of Amontillado" and tell me it isn't terrifying in every way possible, and it's a short story, so it's impossible for there to be any flinch value, except maybe at how demented the story gets.[/b]

I just read that in school XD It's kinda...weird lol.
Bendover  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Southparkhero wrote:

I just read that in school XD It's kinda...weird lol.

Seriously, what did Fortunato do to deserve his slow painful death? He must've been a giant douche at some party or something, or maybe he killed Jesus idunno...

Yeah I'm gonna stop now so this thread can be about the movie XD

Skype wrote:
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

I want you to go read something like "The Cask of Amontillado" and tell me it isn't terrifying in every way possible, and it's a short story, so it's impossible for there to be any flinch value, except maybe at how demented the story gets.[/b]

Can you blame him? That's generally what comes of demented plots and creepy atmospheres. Generally when there's tension, it builds, and then is released with a scary, jump-inducing scene. I've read that story and while it is a great short story, it's not meant for flinch or shock value, it's the idea of a expressing murderer's point of view (in this case Montressor's plight at exacting revenge on his friend).

When you hear the words "Paranormal Activity", you probably imagine something Ghost Hunter-ish (at least I did). Some people are scared shitless by it, others aren't convinced anything is happening. It's all down to how much you let your mind be convinced by the film.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
clooficarus  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was good.

I liked Blair Witch Project.

I was on edge the whole time - which was awesome.

The end.

Don't think about it too much or you lose.

"Knowledge for its own sake - - that is the last snare laid by morality: we are thereby completely entangled in morals once more"

-F.N.
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

I want you to go read something like "The Cask of Amontillado" and tell me it isn't terrifying in every way possible, and it's a short story, so it's impossible for there to be any flinch value, except maybe at how demented the story gets.

No I think both are valuable. What I meant was that the shock value didn't supplement the scary atmosphere, which wasn't up to par either. It would have been more frightening had something believable been haunting them, not an INVISIBLE THREE TOED DEMON. When you're watching a movie, something invisible is not frightening. I'm sorry.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
Bendover  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:

No I think both are valuable. What I meant was that the shock value didn't supplement the scary atmosphere, which wasn't up to par either. It would have been more frightening had something believable been haunting them, not an INVISIBLE THREE TOED DEMON. When you're watching a movie, something invisible is not frightening. I'm sorry.

"The Invisible Man" begs to differ >_>

Skype wrote:
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

"The Invisible Man" begs to differ >_>

The thing is, in the case of Paranormal Activity, the low budget nature of the movie prevented the use of fancy digital editing to create a sort of believable invisible entity. All you got were doors opening and footprints popping up. I kept waiting for something to happen that would just send it over the edge, but it never happened.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the OP in some respects concerning this film. I found it to be much more humorous and entertaining than I expected, but not nearly very scary. There is a lot of clever dialogue and interesting banter. It seems very natural and appropriate, yet it succeeds in entertaining, and perhaps adds to the reality of the scares. I just didn't find the film that scary, however. I will have to agree with the OP in saying that, sure, it was tense and the ending was mildly affecting, but overall, I just wasn't nearly as frightened by this film as I wanted to be. And the whole fact that they tried to play it off in total cliché like it was some real account of an actual haunting is laughable.

And to the poster who commented about how wonderful the theater experience is, I seriously beg to differ. Our crowd was so loud, they were obnoxious. It seriously decreases from the scares when you're feeling a little on edge, perhaps somewhat frightened, and some people around you are screaming, twisting around in their seats, and crying. You really start to feel the whole charade of it all - the performance outisde of the performance, if you will. Many people try to out-perform one another, I suppose just to brag about how scared they were while seeing a given horror film. Oh, and the guy behind us had apparently already seen the film and kept saying to his friends during every scene, "Don't close your eyes. "This is the scariest scene," or "That's all that happens in this scene. Don't worry." The kicker was during the ending, he kept yelling "I can't believe I'm seeing this movie again. Oh my god, I'm shitting out of my dick." Honestly, I wanted to strangle him. So I will dedicate much of my jaded opinion of the film's effect to this asshole.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

bl1i8n2k  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to see this tonight (finally) and i cant wait. I have been pumped by watching Paranormal State and Ghost Hunters all night. I am so fucking pumped (and tired)!

OBTAINED STATUS ON 11/12/09 AT 9:20 P.M. CT!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: E Ten Pooh Wii Friend Code: 2265615260693457
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
banjokazooie wrote:

I totally agree. True horror isn't about loud noises and making you jump. Horror is about taking genuine human fears and exploiting them in such a way that it's truly scary. Like thinking about the movie makes you frightened, instead of just being scared for 2 seconds of some jump scene. Horror is a scary atmosphere, something which the majority of horror films nowadays ultimately fail at I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
Alright, just as an attempt to bring this thread back to discussion of Paranormal Activity, I completely disagree with the OP about this movie, this was one of, if not THE scariest movie of all time (if you're willing to let it be (more on that in a sec)).

First off, let me explain, I know I'm in the minority here, but I LOVED the Blair Witch Project, I didn't think it was overly scary, but I thought it had a great idea with the whole handheld video camera movie idea, (although I despised Cloverfield, which I blame for my initial reluctance to see PA) the best part of this movie is the theater aspect, I would say this movie is maybe a 4/10 on DVD, and 9/10 in theaters, if you've got a crowd willing to scream and react to stuff happening in the movie, it will be a very fun/entertaining/scary movie.

In order to enjoy this movie, you need to suspend your disbelief, if you're normally a snob who can't stand when something looks "out of place" or "wrong" in films, (like me =D) then I beg of you to just please turn off the snob meter and turn on the fun meter for this movie.

Onto the scare factor!

This is a horror movie, so naturally it should be scary, which thankfully it is, the actors don't feel like they're just reading lines from a script, it feels genuinely real, when they're scared shitless, YOU are as well, it almost feels like a college film in this aspect, it's like the director told everyone that they were just gonna do it in one take, it feels very real.

The ironic part of this mini rant is that you'd practically need to be a film snob to realize all these things >_>

EDIT: One last thing, if you honestly though the Grudge (total snooze fest) was scarier then this, you're doing it wrong.

i just wanted to point something out, i was reading an interview and in it they had mentioned that there was no script to the movie, only an outline, that's why all the dialogue seems real, because it is in some way.
DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:

As did I. However, I thought this movie was the best horror film I've ever seen. The entire length of the movie was filled with suspense, and it just built and built until the ending, which is where I jumped. Halfway through the movie, I had guessed the ending, and was expecting what had happened, yet I still jumped.

Outside of the plot (which I thought was very good, and it progressed at a perfect rate), I thought the acting was simply amazing. For only $500 for each of their roles, I believe that the couple should win awards for their parts. It was entirely believable (to me, anyways) that the events transpiring in the movie were actually happening to them. I think that from the beginning, you develop a connection with the two and you feel increasingly bad/scared for them as the movie goes on.

Overall: 9/10; Well worth the money to go see it.

Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Paranormal Activity? Reply with quote

banjokazooie wrote:

I have to completely disagree with this. Which is more frightening? A big giant hairy monster that you can see, or the invisible one that you have no clue what on earth it is.

Sometimes, you have to use this thing called imagination. You could imagine its a puppy or you could imagine its satan. It leaves it up to the viewer to do some work, and suspend their disbelief. It's a far better movie when you think of it and treat it as a stage play.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
bl1i8n2k  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idc what you guys say, it is very scary. Funny too!

I really liked the part when the guy is like "Why dont you go upstairs and play with your friend." (meaning the demon). My friend just randomly shouted out "Oh shit" the first time the door shut. It freaked me out.

OBTAINED STATUS ON 11/12/09 AT 9:20 P.M. CT!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: E Ten Pooh Wii Friend Code: 2265615260693457
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: