ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The RUSH Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nflnba88 wrote:
AGwaG wrote:
I don't think Lifeson's guitar playing is "underrated" really, he's a fantastic player and he's renowned for it, in other words, he's 'rated' quite highly.

I just think that he's overshadowed by Geddy and Neil sometimes; they are both known as one of the, if not the best at bass and drums respectively, and Alex isn't at the top of most 'top guitarist' lists.

Agreed with nfl here. Alex is highly underrated as a guitarist despite his technical prowess and his ablities to write a guitar part that perfectly suits a song.

I've loved Rush ever since I was 10 (I'm 19 now). All time favourite song has to be The Spirit of Radio. To me, that is the quintessential Rush sound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweekedkenny wrote:
lazor wrote:
I'm in a different boat than most of you. I asked for a Rush album for Christmas when I started getting interested in them, and was told that I was forbidden from listening to them for religious reasons(apparently a star=a pentagram). Of course now I guess they've just given up on that since they know I listen to them quite frequently.

Anyways, 2112 is quite possibly my favorite song of all time. It's basically just perfection in my ears.

Let them know its not a pentagram, its actually a part of the concept of the album, and I think it also symbolizes communism, or at least the idea of a government controlled life.

Anyways my dad got me into Rush, and I've seen them twice. Amazing, 4 hour shows <3

Meh, I figure if it comes up I'll mention it, but I assume he's figured it out by now.
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who could do without Peart's lyrics? I just never really thought they were all that good. I'm not much of a lyric guy though, so maybe it's just me.

I saw them in concert back in '07 I think, with my buddy who first really got me into them. By some marvelous stroke of luck, he was on leave from Iraq the week they were here on their Snakes & Arrows tour. Very good show, and Peart's drum solo ranks right up there among the best moments I've experienced in my concert-going career.

Favorite song is probably "The Camera Eye," though I really enjoy "Working Man" and "A Passage to Bangkok" as well. Moving Pictures, not surprisingly, is my favorite album.
nflnba88  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazor wrote:
I'm in a different boat than most of you. I asked for a Rush album for Christmas when I started getting interested in them, and was told that I was forbidden from listening to them for religious reasons(apparently a star=a pentagram). Of course now I guess they've just given up on that since they know I listen to them quite frequently.

Anyways, 2112 is quite possibly my favorite song of all time. It's basically just perfection in my ears.

Understandable; Rush is definitely very open about their anti-God views. However, they might be atheists, but I know that at least Geddy has said he's very proud of his Jewish heritage and loves everything about Judaism. Definitely don't have to believe in God to practice religion.

Does anyone have any favorite Rush lyrics? I know there have been many that have either really made me think or have been just plain inspiring.

"Is it living, or just existence?"- The Enemy Within
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Freewill
"All of us get lost in the darkness / Dreamers learn to steer by the stars / All of us do time in the gutter / Dreamers turn to look at the cars"- The Pass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nflnba88 wrote:

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Freewill

Definitely my favorite lyric. Along with Losing It. The lyrics to that song are genius on Peart's part.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the chorus to Roll the Bones, as well as the rap break.
"Why are we here? Because we're here. Roll the bones."

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been a Rush fan since I first heard roll the bones around age 5?

favourite album is Moving Pictures

top 5 songs are

Subdivisions
Limelight
One Little Victory
Natural Science
Freewill

I go see them in Toronto everytime they tour.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of Different Strings off of Permanent Waves, I daresay I like it even more than some of the "obvious" choices off that album...but the album as a whole is amazing.

I'm kind of sad I only have two Rush albums...Move Pictures and Permanent Waves. When I do get around to beefing up my collection my next choice is a throw up between Signals and Hemispheres. Signals has Subdivisions, which is one of my favorite songs...but the rest of the album is new material for me (except Digital Man and The Analog Kid). Hemispheres, on the other hand I know almost all the songs and really like them.

Unfortunately, other than those 4 albums, and 2112, my knowledge of Rush music is practically nil. I always hear great things about newer Rush but I never really feel like listening to it. I have some stigma about old bands making new albums, since the trend is for them to not be that good.

One of these days I think I'll look into getting that album of cover songs, their version of The Seeker is awesome, and Crossroads is pretty cool too, even if I don't particularly like the solo (compared to Cream's version that is).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: