ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
New to GH Drumming.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gx1010  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: New to GH Drumming. Reply with quote

Today I got my first RB2 Drumkit to use with GH:SH and GH5 but I suck. Like really suck and I don't know how to improve to become a pro. I need help with beginning on drumming and I don't know where to start. If you have any advice please reply and give me some advice. Like what level to start on, certain sections to practice in songs, or how to position my foot on the peddle and how to have control on the drums.
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would start on medium, thats where i started. just play thru the career of one game (go down in difficulty if you have to) and then start the other game and play thru its career on hard as far as you can. that worked best for me.

as for your foot, no matter how you do it its gonna get tired really fast for a while. stay heel-down as much as you can but when it starts cramping switch to heel-up and then back down, blah blah you get the idea.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go against what Coalfield said. Start with hard, as it will contain much more beat recognition to the actual song than medium provides. Seriously, there's just so many times you want to play more notes than whats charted on medium. If you're struggling on hard just to pass some of the later songs, go back to all the easier ones and crank out the FCs in order from easiest--->hardest.

And, I strongly recommend getting used to playing heel up as soon as possible. It provides much more control over your hits, and can sustain speeds without getting tired. If you play heel down starting out, you'll notice how quickly your calf cramps up, which takes a longer time for your body to get used to those repetitive motions. Doing heel up may have some strain on your thighs initially, but it goes away rather quickly.

General advice, is to start any rolls with your right hand, in case that doesn't come naturally (which it may or may not), as it will almost always insure an ending hit with your right on the cymbal--especially on difficulties other than expert.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
Toodooloo  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why/how a different starting difficulty would make a difference.

sure, if you start on hard it might not take you as long to get to expert, but when you start on hard you basically learn everything through constantly failing which in my opinion is not fun at all.

I just started on easy, if it's too easy just move up, it doesn't really matter.

And uhmm advice...

I'd suggest not playing just to get good at the game, just play for fun and your skill level will gradually increase.

One important thing you should keep in mind though, is to make sure you don't develop any 'bad habits' like holding your sticks the wrong way and stuff. One might even argue that heel-down is also a bad habit, but on the other hand, RB stock pedals often break when you play heel-up, so it's basically up to you lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this may sound rather unorthodox but I suggest turning the pedal backwards, anchor your toes on the ground and hit the actual pedal with your heal. I find that I am able to sustain patterns and spam-double-bass longer with this method and it shouldn't break your stock pedal.

If you have access to a Destroyer or similar pedal, go heel-up. Again, it's a lot easier to sustain beats with and basically a more durable method.

Quote:
One important thing you should keep in mind though, is to make sure you don't develop any 'bad habits' like holding your sticks the wrong way and stuff.

No offence, but there is no right or wrong technique in drums for the most part. As long as it works for HIM at the skill level HE'S at, his technique is irrelevant. Some exceptions to the rule include hitting the pads too soft or too hard, but sticking is really not an issue. Whatever works for him.

Also, I recommend starting rolls with whatever hand you are comforatble with. Unless you are naturally inclined to start with your left hand AND you plan to become a competitive drummer, I really see no reason to make that uncomfortable switch.
Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGHP wrote:
No offence, but there is no right or wrong technique in drums for the most part. As long as it works for HIM at the skill level HE'S at, his technique is irrelevant. Some exceptions to the rule include hitting the pads too soft or too hard, but sticking is really not an issue. Whatever works for him.

Not meaning to sound like an ass, but the OP asked for advice. Saying "do what you like" isn't overly helpful. The guys above are very good players and the advice is certainly sound. Imo using your pedal backwards and anchoring your toes is a "wrong technique". It may be suitable to your means, but it is certainly unconventional. You might as well just play heel up with the pedal the right way, it's almost the same. Holding sticks the wrong way round is wrong, as above. I will agree that some techniques will work just fine, in some situations, but will slow down future progression. Perhaps Good and Bad technique is better terminology than Right and Wrong.

RichardGHP wrote:

Also, I recommend starting rolls with whatever hand you are comforatble with. Unless you are naturally inclined to start with your left hand AND you plan to become a competitive drummer, I really see no reason to make that uncomfortable switch.

The huge majority of rolls in GH are charted with right hand lead, RLRL sticking. By all means start with left hand, but this will likely involve crossing over or double sticking at some point - not easy skills for someone just beggining. If the left hand is that much stronger than the right, consider lefty mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGHP wrote:

Quote:
One important thing you should keep in mind though, is to make sure you don't develop any 'bad habits' like holding your sticks the wrong way and stuff.

When I said bad habits, I meant like holding your sticks in a way that may cause damage to your wrists (carpal tunnel?).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfurus wrote:
RichardGHP wrote:

Not meaning to sound like an ass, but the OP asked for advice. Saying "do what you like" isn't overly helpful. The guys above are very good players and the advice is certainly sound. Imo using your pedal backwards and anchoring your toes is a "wrong technique". It may be suitable to your means, but it is certainly unconventional.

It's not really a wrong technique, since it won't hinder my progression as I advance in my skill.

It may be unusual, but I really see no reason to call it a wrong technique, or even a bad one. I'll grant you that the OP probably thinks I'm nuts, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
sfal  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to GH Drumming. Reply with quote

gx1010 wrote:
but I suck. Like really suck

Like how?

The advice if you fail All Along the Watchtower on Easy is vastly different than "only getting 3 stars" on Deadbolt on Expert+

edit: Oh, okay, the two scores entered here on PS3 Expert for GH:SH are 100% on BITS and 97% on CFH.

I only managed 99% on both on Medium on the 360, so I don't have anything to add here except I don't know what you're talking about, keep playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: