Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Genre-Band Association, Take II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olinea  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Genre-Band Association, Take II Reply with quote

Okay, so some of you may have done the first one of these, where I asked you what was the first band you thought of when I said "Classic Rock". So, I guess, just for fun, we'd try it again with another genre.

What's the first band that comes to mind when someone says:

Metal (Of course, this one was inevitable)?
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
CrimsonBlaziken  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Sabbath. Considering Tony Iommi was the godfather of the heavy metal riff and all and how so many people consider Black Sabbath to be the first heavy metal band (Though I'm sure lots of people will argue that's not true with valid reasoning), I tend to think of them first.

Current Goal:
- Post some more on SH!
- Fail less.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: CrimsonSH PSN Name: Phaaze Wii Friend Code: 5402889825468002
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band that first jumps to my mind, always, is copper. Seriously, you can't think metal without copper. Copper is usually missing from most people's lists of favorite metal bands too! Blasphemous if you ask me, but it is pretty obscure. You usually see gold, silver, even titanium bands, but copper is more indie.
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:

The band that first jumps to my mind, always, is copper. Seriously, you can't think metal without copper. Copper is usually missing from most people's lists of favorite metal bands too! Blasphemous if you ask me, but it is pretty obscure. You usually see gold, silver, even titanium bands, but copper is more indie.

Made me lol at work.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:

Okay, that is pretty good lol

For metal...Judas Priest. People say Black Sabbath, but their old stuff with Ozzy that made them always felt like rock. It wasn't metal to me, though it led to others going metal because of it.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive, I like you.

For me it's Maiden. But to be honest, I just see "metal" in this context and think "Yes. That is a genre of music." No bands immediately leap to mind, but after a few seconds the first one that did was Maiden.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallica, mostly because I listen to them quite a bit and because they have metal in their name.

Also, lol fugi.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:

I actually like the genre rubber better. more bands etc.

OT: I think it'd be Metallica for me. It's the first metal band I really liked and as ready2rock said, they have the genre in their band name.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Fugitive wrote:

Ruined it.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchiridion wrote:
Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Fugitive wrote:

Ruined it.

O no.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally couldn't think of a band. Like I saw the word... and I just stared at it. After about 4 seconds, I pictured Dio. As far as I know he's metal (at least he was considered it back then), but if not then I guess I don't know genres
BLABLAFU  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slayer, the first Metal Band I was really listening and paying attention to.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first band I literally thought of was Children of Bodom. However, if someone tells me that they like metal or something, I always think they're talking about Metallica or something.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral Milk Hotel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Metalllll....lllica.

That's not to imply that I think they're the epitome of metal, but it is the first band to come to mind... because of the name. SO can we start naming more genres and see what people name first?

Pop
Prog
Classical
emo
indie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: