ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Never played GH, which one should I get first?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricecake  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noite wrote:
The transition to the orange fret is a nightmare for 99% of the players, don't feel discouraged and keep going at it, it'll feel amazing when you finally get the hang of it!

In order to help alleviate this, newer DLC for Rock Band now introduces sparse use of the blue and orange buttons on Easy and Medium. I agree that adding the orange was probably the hardest part of moving from Medium to Hard, and I think this is a good step in lowering the learning curve. I know this won't help you for GH, but maybe they will add the same thing too (not trying to start a flame war).

LanceBriggs55 wrote:
So my next question is, are the stock RB drums any good? Or is there a 3rd party kit out there that is "premium quality"?

I like the stock RB drums, but the RB2 drums are better (not sure on availability in Australia, as I've heard there are distribution issues outside of America). As for "premium" drum kits, the ION kit is supposed to be really nice. Logitech also makes a "premium" GH drum kit, but I haven't seen many reviews of that one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logitech's premium kit is crap, don't bother with it.

Olinea  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join the masses on recommending GH5. Besides Band Hero (And upcoming WoR), it's the only game in the series thus far that allows the free instrument combinations; a lot of people feel like having to play Bass is getting the shaft; we still have a few devoted bass players, but the vast majority prefers the gool ol' guitar.

-It's got a tier system so you know where to start out. Yes, it's not perfect, but you'll quickly learn which ones are a bit out of place.

-It's got a Career mode which you can team up with others to play on. The instrument combinations really help with finding players.

-A varied setlist. You may not like everything, but you sound like you're open to nearly any type of music, which helps. It's got songs that nearly everyone has heard before like Play That Funky Music and Song 2, but also obscure ones that can help expand your personal library.

-Supports all instruments, so if you have a mic or a drum set, they'll be more useful than if you got GH1-3.

-Scorehero's a growing community, and GH5 is pretty much the latest release. Means that there are detailed FC breakdowns and help sections all over this place.

-Overall a well-done game, in my opinion. It's got easy songs and it's got doozies. If you're just starting out, it'd take a REALLY long time to get good enough to 100% stuff like Scatterbrain and 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Well what system do you have? If he doesn't have a 360 he can't play GH2 guys. :| And I really wouldn't recommend GH2 if you want more songs you've heard of. (Plus ^ that sentimental boner that DanSoup commented on). GH2 is a good game, but if you have a next gen system you need an up to date game.

LanceBriggs55  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olinea wrote:
I'll join the masses on recommending GH5. Besides Band Hero (And upcoming WoR), it's the only game in the series thus far that allows the free instrument combinations; a lot of people feel like having to play Bass is getting the shaft; we still have a few devoted bass players, but the vast majority prefers the gool ol' guitar.

-It's got a tier system so you know where to start out. Yes, it's not perfect, but you'll quickly learn which ones are a bit out of place.

-It's got a Career mode which you can team up with others to play on. The instrument combinations really help with finding players.

-A varied setlist. You may not like everything, but you sound like you're open to nearly any type of music, which helps. It's got songs that nearly everyone has heard before like Play That Funky Music and Song 2, but also obscure ones that can help expand your personal library.

-Supports all instruments, so if you have a mic or a drum set, they'll be more useful than if you got GH1-3.

-Scorehero's a growing community, and GH5 is pretty much the latest release. Means that there are detailed FC breakdowns and help sections all over this place.

-Overall a well-done game, in my opinion. It's got easy songs and it's got doozies. If you're just starting out, it'd take a REALLY long time to get good enough to 100% stuff like Scatterbrain and 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Yeah, I ended up going for GH5 & GH3. I'll pick up RB1/2 when I buy a drum kit, probably the ION ones.

Despite not knowing the majority of artists on GH5, I actually like most of the tracks. The career mode challenges are fun, although I'm bummed that I can only do the guitar/bass ones at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanceBriggs55 wrote:
Yeah, I ended up going for GH5 & GH3. I'll pick up RB1/2 when I buy a drum kit, probably the ION ones.

Despite not knowing the majority of artists on GH5, I actually like most of the tracks. The career mode challenges are fun, although I'm bummed that I can only do the guitar/bass ones at the moment.

I probably should have actually read through the entire thread first :/
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you will need a copy of GH2. I'd say get Rock Band and browse the DLC to find exactly what you want.. But GH2 will run you like $7 used, and it's too good of a game to pass up for that price..
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: