ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Not many song-a-day threads (Wrap-up post up) (All done!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olle92  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olle92 wrote:
Bon Iver - Wolves (Act I & II)

This is just one song by the way.
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh...my iTouch just deleted my long post I had for you But the sum of the whole post was that I like what you are doing here. I've enjoyed reading your two reviews so far even though I thought the 2nd was just a tad too lengthy (reason I don't participate in the other album threads; reviews on an entire album is too long). That's just me though. I really hope you stick with this thread. I'll be reading it
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Review 3: Lesley Roy's I'm Gone, I'm Going Reply with quote

Lesley Roy - I'm Gone, I'm Going

When you consider the most important bands in our musical heritage, you can't discount what comes across the Atlantic. The British music scene has supplied everyone from the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to Blur, Black Sabbath, and the Clash. With success like that, it's easy to overlook the fact that there's also a vibrant music scene on the other side of the English Channel. That's right - Ireland has provided us with great acts as U2, Sinead O'Connor, Thin Lizzy, and Van Morrison.

Lesley Roy isn't ready to be mentioned in the same breath with those artists, but she's already managed to make a splash with upbeat anthems like "I'm Gone, I'm Going." This cut from her 2008 album Unbeautiful is a delicious slab of energetic girly pop-rock. Roy sings with power and passion, but she also has a restrained energy. She isn't a diva. I'd say she sounds like Kelly Clarkson here, particularly songs like "Since You've Been Gone," and "My Life Would Suck Without You." There's a strong sense of energy behind the drums and guitar riffs that help propel Roy forward. (I picture this guy playing drums on this song) Instrumentally, they remind me of Paramore. The sound of the guitar provides a tasty treat, and the guitar solo gets you pumped up. I wish it were longer. The lyrics, which focus on tensions in a relationship, are nothing new, but they do the job.

If there's a drawback, it's that there's nothing very original about this song. The popular music scene is already swimming with blonde pop starlets with a similar type of sound. It was initially hoping to hear some Irish influence in this song, like maybe a Celtic Thunder vibe. But it sounds like she's totally Americanized her sound. I can't say I'm delighted about her MTV partnership. (My general thoughts on MTV tend to be in line with this). But still, Roy provides a toe tapper that brims with energy, so I give her credit.

Score: 3.3 out of 5

Next up: Kid Cudi
In the on deck circle: Pavement

Last edited by Amanwithapencil on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coughit's"i'mgonei'mgoing"not"i'mgoingi'mgone"cough
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Review #4: Kid Cudi's All Along Reply with quote

Kid Cudi - All Along

I have to admit, I didn't have much prior knowledge of Kid Cudi coming into this. I'd heard some of his stuff from a couple of Kanye tracks, but I wasn't paying much attention to who was doing what. So my first thought was that maybe this was going to be a Black Eyed Peas type track. Thankfully I was spared that.

So what I did get can be characterized as a moody, low key, mellow R&B track. It sounds like a lullaby. Kid Cudi thoughtfully muses on loneliness and his station in life. While reading the lyrics, I actually thought of Langston Hughes. The general vibe of the song reminds me of some stuff I've heard from Pete Miser. His vocal performance is convincing, but he doesn't show off much range. At times he almost sounds monotone. I'm can't say I'm a big fan of the beat, either; it sounds like somebody repetitively beating on a bass drum. The string sections are nice, though. (At least I think it's a string section. That's what it sounds like).

Overall, I find Kid Cudi definitely displays a poetic quality that I find appealing. I don't listen to a lot of R&B type stuff personally, but when I do I tend to prefer the smooth, silkier stuff like this and this. (Speaking of which, if you like this song then I would fully recommend checking out some of Brian Culbertson's collaborations with various R&B artists. Imagine if Cudi had a groovy piano piece to play off of). As far as this track goes, though, it's alright but I don't see it as being anything much more than average.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

Next up: Pavement
In the on deck circle: Grace Cathedral Park

Last edited by Amanwithapencil on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Cudi was actually just on the Conan show this past Monday. Sang "Revofev". Beat was very monotonous (same drum roll every few seconds, VERY bland guitar riff). Lyrics weren't all that great (sounds like a 1st grader wrote the song), and honestly, I didn't think he was that great of a singer. But I also don't listen to R&B so maybe that's what's "in" right now. So with having heard that song and having read your review, I'm curious as to what people see in his style of music.....
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was pretty terrible. I don't know if Cudi was on something there, but his whooping singing thing wasn't doing it for me. And the beats were all pretty much as you described them. At least it was cool that they were actually using real instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Review 5: Pavement's Summer Babe Reply with quote

Pavement - Summer Babe

This post marks my fifth review in this thread. So even if I accomplish nothing else, at least I made it farther than the other song-a-day thread.

So here we have Pavement, largely considered one of the quintessential indie/alt-rock bands of the 90s. I first heard of this band through Pitchfork, and checked out a few of their songs. I liked some songs from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. I can dig their mellower stuff; I appreciate the sonic coolness of it. "Summer Babe," however, is a totally different affair.

I'm not a fan of this song because the band sounds like they're not even trying. The song itself is styled as a grungy hard rocker, but there's no sense of energy. I don't like the guitar tone, and the playing sounds sloppy. There's just a very lazy vibe to this song in general. Maybe it would be cool if you were listening to this in a lounge, just chilling out or something.

Singer Stephen Malkmus is simply dreadful here. He mumbles his way through most of the song, without any intensity or passion in his voice. And the long scream he lets out before the last chorus makes me wince. The lyrics give a detailed description of your typical 90s alt-rock chick, but that's about it. Instrumentally, there is some complexity in the guitar and drum work if you play close enough attention. They sound like a low key Dinosaur Jr.

So in general, this band is cool but this isn't the best representation of them. Give me stuff like "Range Life" and "Major Leagues" and call it a day.

Score: 2.75 out of 5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd also like to take time out to thank everybody for their feedback so far, keep it coming. My blog is also now posted in my sig.

If anybody's interested, here's the overall rankings thus far:

1st: Periphery - Letter Experiment
2nd: Lesley Roy - I'm Gone, I'm Going
3rd: Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement
4th: Pavement - Summer Babe
5th: Kid Cudi - All Along

Last edited by Amanwithapencil on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:43 am; edited 2 times in total
sushi111  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely disagree since that is one of the most beautiful and essential songs of the 90s but I understand your viewpoint. Definitely check out their later albums in full
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reivew 6: Grace Cathedral Park's Play Delicate, Desire Quiet Reply with quote

Grace Cathedral Park - Play Delicate, Desire Quiet

I've been having a funny feeling lately. The more I listen to post-rock, the more I feel I've found a new love.

Until recently, I had never even heard never even heard of the genre. If it wasn't for these forums, I still probably wouldn't have.

The best way I can describe it is as emotional instrumental music. It's usually guitar driven, but doesn't sound like rock music. "Play Delicate, Desire Quiet" is a stunning example of the genre; it's quiet and subdued but also very powerful. The interplay between the beautiful guitar strings and the backing melody is breathtaking, and there's just a touch of blues in the guitar melody. The low key hi-hats compliment the rest of the package perfectly. Toward the end, the guitars fade out and you're left with some sweet ambient goodness.

Grace Cathedral Park creates amazing mood music, but it can also be much more than that. There's an atmospheric majestic grandeur to what's going on here, and it's a great piece to unwind to, to write a paper to, or just for general listening.

Score: 4.5 out of 5

Next up: Kanye West
In the on-deck circle: Deadmau5 & Kaskade

Last edited by Amanwithapencil on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't liked GCP. Very nice review, as well.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InflatablePie wrote:

hi how are you doing

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
InflatablePie wrote:

hi how are you doing

Ok, but you don't dislike them, right?
Davers  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others, nice review. Very mellow to listen to. I've never heard of these guys until just now but went and listened to this song and really enjoyed it I might have to look up more from them now.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
I agree with the others, nice review. Very mellow to listen to. I've never heard of these guys until just now but went and listened to this song and really enjoyed it I might have to look up more from them now.

Eh, they only have one album that's insanely hard to find that was recorded in 2004, then they disappeared forever. I've only ever even found two of their songs on YT, so you really have to buy the album if you want it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: