ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Super Meat Boy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Confury!

I have to pick this game back up.... I haven't played it in a long while... been playing Pinball FX 2 too much.

I can only hope to complete it on normal mode, let alone dark world or anything like that... I never was good at platformers.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got to play it, and I came here to give my impressions:

I don't particularly care for the fact that the controls are Shift to run, Spacebar to jump, and Arrow Keys to move... nor do I like how [at least it seems like] you can't customize the control settings. It's also annoying how the only controller it seems to support is the 360 controller, as I plugged in my PSP with Fusa GamePad (I have neither a 360 controller nor a gamepad in general), and the buttons were just... randomly placed, such as Select being the run button, and Circle being the jump button... thanks to Joy2Key, though, I was able to override this problem, and had MUCH better controls.

I also don't like how characters tend to slide all over the place. It gets really frustrating, as even simple platforming can be made much more difficult than necessary.

Other than that, the game is really fun. My favorite character to play as so far is Commander Video, though if there's a character with even more satisfying controls, then... well, you know lol.

If you're wondering why I hate the default controls so much, it's because of several reasons: the first being that I just am used to moving my character using my left hand, rather than my right. It gets worse, though, as I am not accustomed to using my pinky in gameplay (it's the only feasible [or rather, comfortable] way I could find to effectively run and jump), or using the spacebar in a platforming game. In IWBTG, I was able to tolerate the [IMO] backwards control scheme because the fire and jump buttons were right next to each other, meaning I could at least use my Forefinger and Middle Finger when playing the game (I generally use those fingers more than the others when typing, so it's tolerable when I play a game on a keyboard).

In the end, though, when it comes to platformers, I prefer using a controller anyway, so backwards-keyboard controls or not, that's what I might have ended up using (though I would have less motivation, I admit).

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
nor do I like how [at least it seems like] you can't customize the control settings.
Go into the game's folder and open the buttonmap.cfg file. You can see the controls in here and edit them as you like.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobo111 wrote:
Qarx wrote:
nor do I like how [at least it seems like] you can't customize the control settings.
Go into the game's folder and open the buttonmap.cfg file. You can see the controls in here and edit them as you like.

Sounds like a plan... though I can't find the folder XP. I went all over my hard drive, found some stuff about Steam, some stuff about the games I have downloaded... and couldn't find the file that lets me configure the controls. (couldn't this just have been located IN the game so I don't have to search for some text file and edit it?)

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out a program called Joy2Key.

It allows you to assign joystick buttons to keyboard layout. I used to use it in MAME when back then, it didn't accept joystick inputs, just keyboard.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Check out a program called Joy2Key.

It allows you to assign joystick buttons to keyboard layout. I used to use it in MAME when back then, it didn't accept joystick inputs, just keyboard.

I already did .
Qarx wrote:
thanks to Joy2Key, though, I was able to override this problem

I do think it's kind of funny that I have to use two different programs for what I do, though: Fusa Gamepad on PSP, and Joy2Key on PC, seeing as I do not have a gamepad, and the game doesn't accept Fusa Gamepad .

My Backloggery
Confury  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsk3YWBnuAk
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confury wrote:
u r00l d00d!
powahouse  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All achievements unlocked other than 100% the game, and yes...unlocking the kid took me longer than anything else. Nearly mastering this game has been, probably one of the most satisfying things I've done since I started playing video games in the early 90's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
Qarx  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confury wrote:

Looking at that, and your sig, I'd say you're a real masochist lol. Way to go!

I haven't been playing that much, so only I just got to World 3, with a few bonus levels unlocked (earned the "Stuck in the Past" achievement, and unlocked Jill, Commander Video, and more recently, Head Crab... does he have ANY use? At all?). I doubt I'll be able to get ALL the achievements (I'm sure I'll need a guide to find/obtain all the bandages), but I'll do my best to get a high completion rating... after I beat the game, of course lol.

My Backloggery
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to plug and play with my logitech rumblepad controller without any hassle. *shrug* I'm surprised you had an issue, since the developers are so adamantly for using controllers over keyboard.
Silly  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to finishing light world after not playing for a while... gotta love how it took me less than 10 minutes to finish The Kid's entire warp zone when half of Cotton Alley's levels took me longer than that each

Probably never going to 100% this game but still fun to have a go at.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly guys, I didn't think Cotton Alley was that bad. Dark world rapture and hell gave me more trouble, and possibly even the salt factory. Most Cotton Alley levels had a strategy that made them much easier, but I gave up on dark world Rapture onkly a few levels in.
Dark World cotton alley was pretty rugged, though. I did about the first half of those.
powahouse  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Honestly guys, I didn't think Cotton Alley was that bad. Dark world rapture and hell gave me more trouble, and possibly even the salt factory. Most Cotton Alley levels had a strategy that made them much easier, but I gave up on dark world Rapture onkly a few levels in.
Dark World cotton alley was pretty rugged, though. I did about the first half of those.

Dude, I agree with you! I also am the only person that I've heard say the second level in unlocking the Kid took me longer than the first level, but maybe because I was so damn anxious. Dark World rapture has given me the most trouble out of anything so far, and I feel like Dark World Cotton Alley will probably make me struggle a bit as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing on the twentieth level of cotton alley in the light world a while ago and haven't came back since. I make the first jump in the tiny corridor at the end 1/5 times. There are 10 of those jumps. That gives me a roughly one in ten million chance for completing it, assuming that I don't get anxious and screw up at the end a lot, lowering my rate. After something like two hours of that, I said "dammit, I don't care" and stopped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: