Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Should active euthanasia be legal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the definition of "terminal illness" is one that cannot be cured. So technically if we advanced medicine to the point where we could cure such illnesses, they would no longer be terminal.

...nothing really on topic per se, just wanted to clear that up.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
thatguy4893  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Guys, the definition of "terminal illness" is one that cannot be cured. So technically if we advanced medicine to the point where we could cure such illnesses, they would no longer be terminal.

...nothing really on topic per se, just wanted to clear that up.

thanks, you've just made me that much less stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're gonna go around and "put down" (kill) animals as willy-nilly as we do, we should at least allow people to choose the same thing. That's not to say we should automatically kill suffering people, but death is their right and if they choose it, then that's fine with me.

\m/
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes: IF you have an incurable ailment that torments your daily life and you get things sorted out with your family. Why do we even have to debate stuff like this? Outlaw DNRs in hospitals then, I fail to see why this is any different.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
Ealasaid  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor of assisted suicide/active euthanasia for the terminally ill for two reasons: one, nobody should be forced to suffer against their will and two, Alzheimer's runs in my family.

I watched my grandmother's body live for years after her mind had died. Caring for late stage Alzheimer's patients is incredibly expensive and emotionally traumatic, and I think those of us who know we might well go that route should be able to make arrangements to go out with dignity and not have to spend years and years heavily sedated in expensive nursing homes.

I think the family member + two doctors requirement is a solid one and should be implemented everywhere.
-Questionable Content
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: CasaEalasaid ICQ Number
inkjt510  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just put this out there: I've never heard a valid argument against euthanasia that didn't hinge on religion. Coincidentally, its the same thing with gay marriage.
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
trofl  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkjt510 wrote:
I've never heard a valid argument against euthanasia that didn't hinge on religion.

Then you've never heard a valid argument (hinging on religion == appeal to authority).
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
inkjt510  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trofl wrote:
inkjt510 wrote:
I've never heard a valid argument against euthanasia that didn't hinge on religion.

Then you've never heard a valid argument (hinging on religion == appeal to authority).

My point exactly
Psalm 104:14 : He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man
GH3 Goals: Enlightened Guitarist [ ] 13
FG5*: TTFAF, TWIE
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this 4 year old thread because fuck da police

Also I read a fascinating piece by a paraplegic, which is actually one of the most emotional works I've ever read, and has made me consider this issue in great detail. It's called Two Arms and a Head: The Death of a Newly Paraplegic Philosopher, will take about 2-3 hours, and will blow your mind. It gets kinda graphic at some points, but it's seriously worth a read.

I personally think that euthanasia should be legal everywhere, for this exact sort of situation. It would be less heartbreaking for the families to see their relatives go in the way that they wanted, and not as a barely functioning person. To quote from the book:
Clayton Atreus wrote:
Being paraplegic is not a life I can fight for because I hate it. I want a fighting chance. I can’t live life in chains that will never come off. All I can hope for is to become happy with a life that now tortures me. One that cages me, pens me in, puts up walls all around me. One that makes me smaller, misshapen, that boxes my heart and spirit inside of me. But that’s no hope at all, no challenge at all.

Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see even four years people still come across my old posts. Great find there, I'll see if I can find some time to read it, probably when it's slow at work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't understand why assisted suicide wouldn't be legal quite honestly. If someone doesn't wanna be alive, why would you force them to stay alive? Especially in cases of terminal illness, forcing a person to live out their days in suffering when they'd prefer not to is a lot more inhumane then just letting them die imo.

In cases of people that just would like to die but DON'T have terminal illnesses, I honestly dunno. Maybe there should be some 3 month period where there's mandatory psychological evaluation or something, but I don't see why it should be outlawed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: