SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Smoking and Anti Smoking Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bclare  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
- In some areas, public alcohol consumption is simply a "violation" rather than any sort of misdeameanor-grade crime. It doesn't show up in your criminal record or anything; you just have to pay the fine, like it was a parking ticket or something. It gives the city an opportunity to raise extra funds with minimal effort by hunting down the occasional beach party and writing some citations.

I'll note that some locations (some US cities, and the entire state of MA) have adjusted their laws so that possession of a small amount of marijuana is similarly just a citation (ie "decriminalized").

I think a lot of it goes back to Puritan traditions though.
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iDylan1357 wrote:
hookah anyone?

I'm into Hookah myself. Not something I get a chance to do often, but it's something I find enjoyable. Unlike cigarettes, it's very communal, especially if you have three or four hookups and friends that like it. Get some food, maybe some drinks, watch a movie, and just smoke, especially since it's completely different to smoking cigs, doesn't have the bad chemicals, and it doesn't stink up the place so you can do it inside no problem. It's still tobacco, so there's that, but it's a more enjoyable experience than cigs could ever be.
CamelTower  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
CoolMotion wrote:
My question is, if people know that cigarettes are bad for you, and that they are very addictive, then why even start in the first place?

Today, people sometimes smoke cigar when they've been drinking. Cigars are not really addictive, but it's an easy opening for cigarettes. Someday, these people find themselves cigar-less, and accept a cigarette under the influence of alcohol. Then another one. And again.

A few of my friends started to smoke this way, luckily they mostly stopped less than a year after the habit kicked in. The pressure to quit is so much stronger nowaday...

Eeek, well this is a very logical thing to happen... Slightly worrisome because I absolutely love cigars when intoxicated due to alcohol, but vehemently do not want to become a cigarette smoker. I guess I'll hope that I don't ever not have a cigar handy when I have a craving for one :p
NU Grad 2015
youhas  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
youhas wrote:
- In some areas, public alcohol consumption is simply a "violation" rather than any sort of misdemeanor-grade crime. It doesn't show up in your criminal record or anything; you just have to pay the fine, like it was a parking ticket or something. It gives the city an opportunity to raise extra funds with minimal effort by hunting down the occasional beach party and writing some citations.

I'll note that some locations (some US cities, and the entire state of MA) have adjusted their laws so that possession of a small amount of marijuana is similarly just a citation (ie "decriminalized").

I think a lot of it goes back to Puritan traditions though.

Yeah, lots of these are almost certainly rooted in Puritanical traditions. I mean, that appears to be the source of other weird alcohol-based irregularities, like "dry" counties, "blue laws", "beer over such-and-such percent ABV can't be sold!" measures, and other things of that ilk. They're exceedingly dippy - in California, you can't buy alcohol between 2am and 6am because... uh, you just can't - but they're on the books, and no one is going to get elected via the Folks Should Get Sloshed More agenda, so meh, the arbitrary traditions continue.

I'm glad to see marijuana decriminalization slowly bleeding out into more and more areas, though. While not nearly as liberating as active federal-level legalization, at least the specter of the "you were caught with a joint on your person, which will now cloud every job background check you have until the heat death of the universe" is becoming less prevalent.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
iDylan1357  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
iDylan1357 wrote:
hookah anyone?

I'm into Hookah myself. Not something I get a chance to do often, but it's something I find enjoyable. Unlike cigarettes, it's very communal, especially if you have three or four hookups and friends that like it. Get some food, maybe some drinks, watch a movie, and just smoke, especially since it's completely different to smoking cigs, doesn't have the bad chemicals, and it doesn't stink up the place so you can do it inside no problem. It's still tobacco, so there's that, but it's a more enjoyable experience than cigs could ever be.

Exactly. My friends smoked weed for some time, but I never got sucked into it. It was kinda hard, considering most of my school does it and being in high school means lots of pressure. Then somebody got a hookah and I liked it. It's a fun social, and sometimes individual activity, though I haven't done it in a month, I want to again. Hookah is much better than Cigs, much better.
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see what everyone's opinion is on here.

My girlfriend is addicted to cigarettes. She doesn't smoke them because of me, but she gets horrible cravings that become unbearable at times. So we're trying to help her get rid of these cravings. So, I had a thought today because we've been on the discussion of weed. She tells me that smoking weed would help her a lot more with her cravings than hookah (what we've been using to help). This got me thinking, would it be possible to have her cure her addiction using weed? If the nicorrette patches work which puts nicotine in your system, would the same be able to be accomplished with weed which doesn't put that drug in your system? I've read online that it has worked before, but a lot of people say that they smoke weed a lot/all the time. My personal hope is that she'll only have to smoke once or twice a week and that eventually she wouldn't crave them anymore, and when she doesn't need it anymore, we cut it back to only smoking on occasion. I've never smoked weed and don't condone it, but I'm willing to do it with her if it helps her get past this. So does anyone have any experience with this or opinions/etc.?

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick remarks, because it's after 1am and it's not the best time to give long remarks

1) Marijuana does not have nicotine. If she's actually addicted to cigarettes, it's really an addiction to nicotine, and then marijuana wouldn't really be much help.

2) It is entirely possible to be addicted to marijuana; I am of the opinion that weed should be legal, but that's not to say that it's totally harmless and your gf should take care to not just trade one addiction for another, especially since, depending on your exact local laws, marijuana possession is still probably illegal.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been quite an interesting year in cigarette world; quit in March, then got back on it in July, quit again in early August, back on it in late September, and yesterday I smoked my last one.

I hope I can stay off the smokes for even longer. Thinking about the $$ that cigs cost just makes me cringe...I've found that chewing gum is a great alternative for me. Just something "better" to be addicted to!

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: