ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Triplet waves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankyboy65  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Triplet waves? Reply with quote

Hi everybody! i have a problem with what i call a ''triplet wave''...
A triplet wave is a patern that does: GRYRGRYRGRYRG really fast..
Can somebody give me a tip? thank you!
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people call them zigzags and they're certainly a common early issue.

However, there's little to say about them really. I'd guess that most people do them with the normal fingers for the buttons in question (index/middle/ring for G/R/Y, etc) or slide if they want to (for instance: index for both G and R and middle for Y).

It would probably help to slow the section down and get used to the motion of zigzags since the most basic method (one finger per button) is fine in most cases.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two ways of hitting these, depending on how fast they are. For slower or medium paced ones, I just use my first three fingers, one on each button. Don't try to hold any buttons down, just hit each one and release as you hit the next one.

For faster ones, which is where you're probably having trouble, I find it works much better to use your first finger for both of the lower notes, and hit the highest one with your middle finger. The key is to "slide" between the two lower notes in a fluid motion. Then just concentrate on hitting all of the highest notes (yellow in the below example), and cram a slide in between each one without really paying attention to the lower notes.

The green represents sliding. You'd be surprised how fast you can do this once you get it down. A good section to practice is GH3 TTFAF Blackest Waves. There's a section in GH2 Free Bird that's good too.

You can extend this same technique to when there's a gap between the notes. For example, in GH3 Impulse:

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to practice zig-zags on higher frets, the zigzag in Them Bones's solo is at a decent enough speed to practice in second position or sliding up to 3rd (where your pointer's on yellow). I personally wouldn't recommend sliding on that one since it may be difficult for you to transistion out of it and back to the rest of the solo.

And if you want to try learning how to tap a zig-zag (or just get the basics of sliding down), GHA's Rats in the Cellar has a good, long GRY zig-zag to practice on for what I believe amounts to be an entire section (or close enough). GH3's Talk Dirty to Me has one in the outro, as well, though it's far shorter.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: