ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Some things I've noticed on new school games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Some things I've noticed on new school games Reply with quote

GHVH has early whammy. I have no idea why, but it just does. Maybe WT does too because I didn't pay attention to my whammy on that game, but some of the squeezes Scarecrow and Fug had hit were impossible for me. GHM and GHSH definitely don't have early whammy though because I didn't pay attention to my whammy in those games, and I got some crazy squeezes. I thought the optimal squeezes in Runnin' With The Devil were impossible, but now they are easy after I pay attention to getting early whammy.

Also, slider sustains don't behave the same as normal sustains in new school games. They behave like the ones in GH3 except they don't have that small gap between sustains. So all you need to do is let the end of the sustain happen, and you will get a burst of ticks at the end if you had hit the sustain late. I noticed this while I was playing Raining Blood. I got perfect ticks in the intro on my first try and I thought "wow that's crazy, got perfect ticks on my first try!" But then I got perfect ticks again, and again, and again. I knew something was up. That's when I noticed they were behaving just like the ones in GH3.

Don't know if this is useful to anyone, but there is a couple of tips to increase your score.
newuser1234  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres something wrong with the end of ticks on gh6. on a few of my 1st place scores, i got insane ticks at the end of a sustain for seemingly no reason. not really sure how to explain it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that, since I remember Kyl3Ruth claimed somewhere that there was early whammy in GHM.

On some of the games (I forgot which ones) I have made a bunch of GHTunes customs to find out the whammy rate, and the results I get are very consistent regardless of if I hit the note early, on time, or late. Not sure if I tested the games you claim have early whammy though.

I've heard somewhere that at least on GH5, all sustains act more like GH3 on the PS2 version. Somebody will have to pick it up and verify this, and check the other games.

Also GH6 is weird. Ticks count up very slowly (with a large burst at the end) if the sustain is the last note in the song. Also it seems your console makes a difference. IIRC newuser1234 has a newer 360 whereas I have an older one, and he was able to get crazy scores on songs with reverse tick squeezes while he struggled on songs with normal tick squeezes.

THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure about GH:WT but Monsoon and What I've Done had squeezes that should have been easy, but were absolutely impossible for me. Van Halen just definitely has early whammy though. I was getting horrible scores on every song, but now that I've started early whammying, I'm getting near the top again.

I've never done anything more than play casually on WoR, so I have no idea how that engine behaves yet. I guess I will figure it out when I get to that game.
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New school games don't have early whammy in the same sense that GH1/2/80s do, but I've found that you do get better whammy by hitting the notes earlier. So you don't get additional whammy from hitting the note early, but hitting the note early makes it easier to get full whammy.

For example, on GH2, you early whammy a 1-beat sustain, you might end up with 1.1 beats of whammy instead of 1.0 from no early whammy.
On WT, you early whammy the same sustain and you get .99 beats of whammy instead of .95 from whammying it "on time". The best explanation I've come up with for this is that new school games have a whammy "delay" of sorts in between hitting the note and beginning to whammy- you can minimize the loss from the delay by hitting the note early and kind of "stretching" the delay, which allows you to start whammying earlier.

Further, frequency of whammy matters on new school games, where it didn't on old school games. If you compare some of my videos to McSkinny's, he whammys very slowly and basically just gets a quick initial burst on sustains, whereas I whammy very quickly throughout the sustain.

TL;DR:
On new school games, whammy early and quickly in order to get the best whammy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
New school games don't have early whammy in the same sense that GH1/2/80s do, but I've found that you do get better whammy by hitting the notes earlier. So you don't get additional whammy from hitting the note early, but hitting the note early makes it easier to get full whammy.

For example, on GH2, you early whammy a 1-beat sustain, you might end up with 1.1 beats of whammy instead of 1.0 from no early whammy.
On WT, you early whammy the same sustain and you get .99 beats of whammy instead of .95 from whammying it "on time". The best explanation I've come up with for this is that new school games have a whammy "delay" of sorts in between hitting the note and beginning to whammy- you can minimize the loss from the delay by hitting the note early and kind of "stretching" the delay, which allows you to start whammying earlier.

Further, frequency of whammy matters on new school games, where it didn't on old school games. If you compare some of my videos to McSkinny's, he whammys very slowly and basically just gets a quick initial burst on sustains, whereas I whammy very quickly throughout the sustain.

TL;DR:
On new school games, whammy early and quickly in order to get the best whammy

I might go back to WT after I finish Van Halen and redux some songs with this knowledge. For instance, there was an activation I should have been able to easily obtain in Overkill, but I just couldn't do it. I bet if I went back to it and tried to hit the sustains early, I would get it on the first try. If I was able to get that activation, I think I would have beaten your score on that song lol. I would like to redo some songs I played earlier as well. Like I was very unfamiliar with the engine until I got a bit into GH:M. I bet I could get sort of close to Fug's total on WT, but probably still not be able to pass him.

On Van Halen, the hitting the sustains early thing is much more prevalent though. My scores were horrible when I wasn't trying to hit sustains early. Like I would be getting around 40th place or so, which just didn't make sense to me.
elScarecrow  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:

I might go back to WT after I finish Van Halen and redux some songs with this knowledge. For instance, there was an activation I should have been able to easily obtain in Overkill, but I just couldn't do it. I bet if I went back to it and tried to hit the sustains early, I would get it on the first try. If I was able to get that activation, I think I would have beaten your score on that song lol. I would like to redo some songs I played earlier as well. Like I was very unfamiliar with the engine until I got a bit into GH:M. I bet I could get sort of close to Fug's total on WT, but probably still not be able to pass him.

If you're talking about the activation that's exactly 8 beats of whammy, I don't think anyone has ever hit that. The bpm is so high that the whammy delay ends up being too much lost whammy to get the activation (or maybe it's not, but no one has ever hit it, and I've tried pretty hard).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elScarecrow wrote:
THABEAST721 wrote:

If you're talking about the activation that's exactly 8 beats of whammy, I don't think anyone has ever hit that. The bpm is so high that the whammy delay ends up being too much lost whammy to get the activation (or maybe it's not, but no one has ever hit it, and I've tried pretty hard).

Huh I must have used the wrong path then because I hit every squeeze in my run, but I didn't even beat my old score back from when I didn't squeeze at all. There are still a lot of points for me to grab; mainly on What I've Done, and all the songs with extended sustains, now that I know how those work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: