ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Alt. Strumming for solos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGro  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Alt. Strumming for solos Reply with quote

I have started learning how to alt. strum, but I can not figure out how to do any solos with alt. stumming. I can do a decent job with HO/PO but I end up strumming after a note if I try to alt. strum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with slower solos, you can usually stop yourself before you do an extra strum. But for fast solos (i.e. Crossroads) and very fast solos (i.e. BATM), you really need to figure out what strumming direction you will end up on at the end of a solo, based on the direction that you started. For example, on the first half of the first BATM solo where it goes RGRGRYRG, etc, etc. , I start down knowing that I will end up down at the end of the solo.

Also, you have to start on the direction that feels most comfortable for you, so sometimes you have to plan it out so that you end up on the correct direction at the end of whatever riff comes before the solo. For example, this is not exactly a solo, but on CFH, I need to start with a downstrum on the YBY RR YBY RR part. So this means I need to be upstrumming on the GY chord before that part. Consequently, if I want to strictly alternate strum this whole section, I figured it out where sometimes I have to start with an upstrum on the group of GY chords, and other times I have to start with a downstrum- all so that I can arrive at the YBY RR YBY RR part with a downstrum.

You can either figure these things out by trial and error (that's what I do, because it actually lets you determine how it feels when you try to apply an idea that you have for strumming directions), or you can look at the note charts and figure it out. Or a little bit of column A, and a little of column B, I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out. Once you get used to being successful at alternate strumming some solos, then you won't have to do THIS much planning. But I think this is a good place to start.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
daeyeth  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alt. Strumming for solos Reply with quote

TGro wrote:
I have started learning how to alt. strum, but I can not figure out how to do any solos with alt. stumming. I can do a decent job with HO/PO but I end up strumming after a note if I try to alt. strum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm exactly like you. Can't alt.strum solos worth beans. With HOs I can at least keep up though it's far from perfect.

I wish could be better at alt.strumming the solos. I can't even get the rythym down so it's not really a matter for which way I'm going to start strumming for me personally. I really just don't understand how get rythym, or even figuring out the rythym, in solos. Completely lost to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: