ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Harder on Hard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Harder on Hard? Reply with quote

Ok, as a few of you know by now, I can't play No One Knows on Hard. I always get jacked up by the G-GR part which completely kills my 5-star run every time. I was playing over at a friend's house yesterday and he told me to play No One Knows on Expert. Reluctantly, I accepted.

I don't necessarily know why, but I would much rather play on Expert for this song than on Hard, because I got 90% on Expert when I wasn't even trying. (Which is 2% better than my absolute best I can get on Hard.)

Has anybody else had this phenomenon, where a song is easier on a "harder" difficulty?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found that Fat Lip on Medium was a lot harder than on Hard but maybe that just came from my inexperience.
ES942  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with no one knows, i think its because of the weird note combinations. in expert, you can alternate strum in the chorus and still manage to have your strumming technique match up ( i can, anyway) but in hard, mine was all messed up. believe it or not, i FC'd expert before hard as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also concur with No One Knows, it does feel harder on hard than on expert. there area also specific parts of songs for me that seem harder on hard than on expert as well, although i can't think of any right off the top of my head
eachann  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really hard time 5-starring no-one knows as well, I just got it last night. I really suck at alternate picking, but I found that the only way I was able to 5-star noone knows on hard was to downpick everything except for the spots you mentioned where you go green--green/red alternating... and then later red-red/blue alternating. It took me a lot of practice but when I got the alternate picking speed right and I was able to do it steady at that speed my scores went way up. The song was still really hard to 5-star though because there aren't very many star powers in the song which means you have to play a lot more of the song perfectly to get the 5-star rating. I never do very well at the end of the song when there are those fast little flurries of notes before the final part of the main riff... so I had to play the rest of the song nearly perfectly to get the 5-star rating.

The last time I played on expert I was unable to pass noone knows and crossroads... so that was as far as I got on expert... it didn't seem easier to me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick with the g-GR part is that you actually have to hesitate a little bit in between and you have to do it sorta like a gallop.
shutendoji  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
the trick with the g-GR part is that you actually have to hesitate a little bit in between and you have to do it sorta like a gallop.

i beg to differ, cause i keep it at a steady pace and I still can get a perfect on that part...
eachann  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually is a slight pause there, and there should be based on how the notes are shown... and when I play it I know that there is a brief pause there , I can hear it.. and I can feel it.. but if I *try* to do it, I can't.. I miss all the notes. You probably get it even with a steady rhythem because either you're acutally putting in the pause subconsciously, OR because there is a bit of a "window" in which notes are counted as hits and playing steady through is close enough for all the notes to score.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally can't get a feel for it if i were to try to do it on a consistant rhythm. i've listened through the song so many times while it was on MTV that the only way i can play it is if i were to actually do the gallop thing.
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wierd though, because the only time I've actually nailed that entire part I was facing away from the screen.

If I look at those notes it just looks like too many I guess and I mess it all up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
It's wierd though, because the only time I've actually nailed that entire part I was facing away from the screen.

If I look at those notes it just looks like too many I guess and I mess it all up.

I have to agree with you on this I don't look away, but I definately don't try to play the notes based on my vision... I watch the screen to see what is coming because I don't have all the notes perfectly memorized but I know them well enough that just seeing a group of notes tells me what I need to play... once i hit the first G in the G-GR string, I just hold the rhythem, I definately don't try to strum exactly as each note crosses the bottom of the screen. Doing that would be guitar-suicide.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it harder to not play every note in a song after playing on expert for so long, but as far as it actually being harder? I don't know...

The jump from hard to expert isn't really noticable when you do it for the first time, so maybe you could say hard is harder than expert, but going from medium up to hard? Learning to move my hand and think in terms of a fluid finger placement killed me for about a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: