Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Killswitch tutorial
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Killswitch tutorial Reply with quote

All of the original pics from Netonex's post have expired and a bunch of you have been begging for a nice tutorial on how to do a Buckethead style killswitch mod, so here ya go.

For those unfamiliar with this mod, this is basically a mod that substitutes your strum bar with a button to semi-reproduce the killswitch effect that Buckethead and Tom Morello use to get those crazy sounds. This mod is actually a reverse-killswitch because a real one cuts out the sound when you hit it and this type "strums" when you hit it. That being said, here's the details on how to pull it off.

It's a rather simple mod actually that can use either your select button or another type of switch/button to use as an alternate strum. Since I always tilt to use my starpower (like a real man) I hijacked my select button as my killswitch.

If you are using your select as a killswitch, the first thing have to do is cut the wire that leads to the select button:

Then solder a wire (of any reasonable gauge) to the select button post. (The center wire is the ground)
You can also reverse the position of the circuit board that holds the select and start button by screwing it on backwards. This moves your killswitch to the start button position and your start button to the old select button position.

Then solder that wire to either of the strum contacts. This picture shows how a momentary switch can be wired up for the same result. The ground can be spliced onto the wire or soldered directly onto the PCB board.

Ignore all the other wires (those were used for my tapping button mod).
Either of those contacts is fine to solder to but your circuit board may be different depending on what model you are using.

If you'd like to save your select button for star power deployment but still would like a killswitch, you can still do this mod by adding your own switch. Just go to an electronics store (like radio shack) and get a button/switch that is a momentary on type. This switch will probably have two prongs in which to solder your wires onto. Wire one to the strum contact and the other to a ground such as the "backup ground/wire post" in the last pic.

You'll have to mount your new switch somewhere by drilling a hole in the body and securing your switch. One good place is somewhere on the face that you would not hit accidently while playing normally. Another interesting idea would be to place it up on the neck so you can hit it easily while tapping a section.

Good luck with your killswitches!

***Any scores achieved while using this or any other functionally different mods should NOT be submitted to scorehero.

Last edited by BriGuy on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:13 am; edited 3 times in total
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briguy, why can't everyone be as altruistic as you? I wanna have your babies!

Thanks for the tutorial!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
GuitarHeroFaLife  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this to my SG...worked perfectly! do you think i could do it to my wii les paul?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
I wanna have your babies!

Um...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 416765768730
allstar340  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKS
!!!1!!1!11!1!!!

lol thx dude
MuckFizzou  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a thin copper cable wire work?
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuckFizzou wrote:
Will a thin copper cable wire work?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I highly suggest that any wire you use is insulated. Copper is a common wire component, but a wire without insulation is asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial Bri, but I dont under stand what you said about if you want to save your select button. I'm going to do this mod to my Kramer and i want a switch A. Because switches are friggen sweet looking and B. because the SEL on Kramers is very stiff and would make a poor killswitch. Any ways you said something about "splicing a wire to the select post" but i dont see why youd even consider the SEL button if youre not using it as your switch. Please explain. Thanks in advance.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a tilter....I always tilt. I never use the select button and I didn't want to mess up any of my custom paint jobs. So I disabled the select function for that button and now it is my killswitch button. If you want to keep the functionality of your select button, you need to cut a hole in the body and install a momentary switch on the body somewhere, but it should work just as good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, this is where i get confused "and splice a wire to the select button wire that was cut in the first pic"

I;m probobly just missing something simple, but i dont understand why the select button would even be involved if im installing a seperate switch.
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are installing a seperate switch, the select button is not affected. Briguy's tutorial outlines how to turn your select button into a switch. If you aren't going to use your select button (ie drill a hole in the shell and install a new button for your killswitch), you just run the wire to your killswitch button. Briguy used his select button because. . . well:
Briguy wrote:
I'm a tilter....I always tilt. I never use the select button and I didn't want to mess up any of my custom paint jobs. So I disabled the select function for that button and now it is my killswitch button.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
ZackaryCF  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's what I thought, I just somehow got confused
MrMiniMog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused....If I were to use my own swtich lets say. In the 1st post its saying that I wire my swtich the select button, and then to the ground. Wouldn't that just make my swtich activate start power? (or his select)

Shouldn't it be wire the switch to a strum contact, and then to ground?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: xMrMiniMog Wii Friend Code: 352313276237
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
If you are installing a seperate switch, the select button is not affected. Briguy's tutorial outlines how to turn your select button into a switch. If you aren't going to use your select button (ie drill a hole in the shell and install a new button for your killswitch), you just run the wire to your killswitch button. Briguy used his select button because. . . well:
Briguy wrote:
I'm a tilter....I always tilt. I never use the select button and I didn't want to mess up any of my custom paint jobs. So I disabled the select function for that button and now it is my killswitch button.

That's right. I just quoted myself.
MrMiniMog  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
IWillKickU wrote:
Briguy wrote:

That's right. I just quoted myself.

Why?

If it was for me, it didn't answer what my question was.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: xMrMiniMog Wii Friend Code: 352313276237
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: