ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A couple questions to song coders/writers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddCow  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: A couple questions to song coders/writers Reply with quote

About how long, on average, would you say does it take to code a complete song? I.E. a few hours (Including getting the song and burning and all that jazz as well as the menial labor of fixing notes and doing the stage ambiance) or a couple days. Also, how long does it take to usually pick up on how to create your songs and getting used to the software to make them. With that question said, I know you don't take requests, but would you be willing to get paid for such said services?

Feel free to email for details and/or answers or post them here. If this is against the sticky for song requests I apologize ahead of time and will contact them specifically if you wish. However, I'm not really requesting as I'm interested in how this works, how much time it takes, and if I don't have the time to complete a project I have in mind, then I'd be willing to pay for the wonderful talent that I've seen and heard on this board.

By the way, to those that have been doing your own songs and posting them, thanks for a wonderful idea I've thought up, and congrats on doing a remarkable job. Kudos to you.

(Edited to add another question and spelling)

-Just because they are lying on the ground bleeding to death doesn't mean you HAVE to stop kicking them.
keyboardsamurai  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can convert a Frets on Fire .mid in under 5 minutes and have it fully compatible with GHEX 3.1

I still have no clue how to do star power (even after the all the help the other guys gave, I usually have to see something done first)..

The thing that takes long is getting the song to sync correctly with ghex.

I don't use midi maestro to sync mine, I just use Ghex BPS shifter and go by sight and sound. I've actually worked on 1 song (just getting it to sync) for 20mins guessing at the bps...

On average it usually takes me 15 to 20 mins to get the whole song in ghex and synced, then creating the iso takes about 15 mins and burning takes about 15 mins (Depending on burner speed)...

Around 1hr & 10Mins from song injection, syncing, to burning....

Making a mid compatible is easy. Syncing takes, time so does building the iso. Dvd burns at regular speed...
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends. If you unfamiliar with the program you're using to create a chart, you're going to take longer.

If the song you're doing is 10 minutes long, you're going to take longer.

If you're having trouble getting to music to sync with the notes, it's going to take longer.

If you want to add more difficulties and instruments, not to mention a synced band animation and lighting effects, that'll take longer.

Importing your MIDI and MP3/WAV/VGS into Guitar Hero Explorer takes 6-10 minutes the first time, each. If you need to replace them, it'll only from a few seconds to a few minutes. But speeds will vary depending on your hard drive.

I can't go through with the step of creating the ISO, but that'll take up some time.

Then burning the DVD all depends on the speed of your burner. Also, most people recommend you burn at 4x which might take up even more time.

So, as you can see, it really all depends.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds like an afternoon for a song if I know my tools very well, that's alot better then what I thought it might have been. Moving on, about how long does it take to actually do all the steps. I'm fairly computer literate and quick to pick up. What would you say is the learning curve for these programs (I briefly scanned over one or two pages worth of instruction, but didn't read in depth as I have been working lots lately) and how hard/easy is it to pick up? Also, how long did would it take the average person so to speak to learn all these tricks of the trrade?

Again, thanks for the responses and sorry about all the questions, but my girlfriend is coming to visit me (She lives about 1k miles away) so we don't get to see eachother very often and I wanna do a bunch of her favorite, and our favorite songs on GH2. This idea was given to me last night when I stumbled across this webpage. Cheers mates

-Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the evening. Set a man on fire and he'l be warm for the rest of his life.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programs like Anvil Studio and MIDI Maestro, along with CD/DVD Generator and Guitar Hero Explorer are nothing to worry about. Just install and follow instructions on the use of them and you'll pick up on how to operate them in no time. The program you're going to use to create the note charts is the biggest problem and all depends on you.

I use TabIt to create my charts which I've been using for 5-6 years, so creating my first two charts were a breeze. If you're using something you're new two, it'll take you a while to get the hang of it and create charts that are in sync with the music.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to write midis way back in the day during early highschool, like 10ish years or so ago... (Dang I felt old typing that) so as long as I'm used to a similiar program it shouldn't be all that bad, eh?

-I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather... not screaming like his passengers.
whiskeyface  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it shouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddCow wrote:
I used to write midis way back in the day during early highschool, like 10ish years or so ago... (Dang I felt old typing that) so as long as I'm used to a similiar program it shouldn't be all that bad, eh?

It'll be a piece of cake! I was in a rap group (lol) 16 years ago, and did everything with MIDI sequencers. I haven't touched any MIDI software since then. I bought MIDI Maestro yesterday night and just finished my first song about 2 hrs ago. About 4 hrs worth of work, which included learning the MIDI format that GH2 expects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: