ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Automatic playing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eachann  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkepticalMario wrote:
Well, I don't think I want it to keep happening. I'd rather know what I'm doing.

you SHOULD want it to keep happening, because when this happens you DO know what you're doing, even if you don't realize it. It's a natural progression of learning. When is the last time you thought about "how do I walk?" But if you look at a child that is just learning, they think about every step as they waddle across a room. You might not be able to think out each note, but your mind as able to recognize the patterns of notes and play them without thought. It is something that should happen sporadically as you start to improve and eventually should happen most if not all the time (after a lot of time practicing of course!) If you actually do think about each note and try to analyze how you are doing it, you'll find that your performance suffers significantly because it takes time for you to process each note. As you are first learning you HAVE to think and that's why things seem so fast. When you no longer have to think, it becomes no problem :-)

I'm still in the toddler learning how to walk stage with my guitar hero playing :-)
RIG4RED  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
As an expirianced rhythm gamer, I welcome you to the next skill level. Its almost as if your eyes talk to your hands (or feet) directly without wasting time with your brain.

Exactly, its all muscle memory. Let your fingers do the work and enjoy the digital orgasm as you score a perfect ^_^
SkepticalMario  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eachann wrote:
SkepticalMario wrote:
Well, I don't think I want it to keep happening. I'd rather know what I'm doing.

you SHOULD want it to keep happening, because when this happens you DO know what you're doing, even if you don't realize it. It's a natural progression of learning. When is the last time you thought about "how do I walk?" But if you look at a child that is just learning, they think about every step as they waddle across a room. You might not be able to think out each note, but your mind as able to recognize the patterns of notes and play them without thought. It is something that should happen sporadically as you start to improve and eventually should happen most if not all the time (after a lot of time practicing of course!) If you actually do think about each note and try to analyze how you are doing it, you'll find that your performance suffers significantly because it takes time for you to process each note. As you are first learning you HAVE to think and that's why things seem so fast. When you no longer have to think, it becomes no problem :-)

I'm still in the toddler learning how to walk stage with my guitar hero playing :-)

I don't especially want to think about each note before I play it, but I'd like to know what the notes are.

Bark at the Zoo
InvadErGII  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me in StepMania once or twice (with finger dancing, though - not with my feet). It's a really weird feeling, but it's one that comes with the knowledge that you're...well, really good. Mr. Green

I've yet to experience this in Guitar Hero, but I probably will at some point.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love this, it's like being able to take your mind off of the game (and if you concentrate on playing the right notes too much, you're doomed to miss them).
ibazooka  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great. I get it sometimes as well, but since I've been practicing strumming both up and down I mess everything up. Not so much the strumming but the fretbuttons.

But a good thing for me was to worry less about the notes and listen to the music instead. That was the key for me to pass CfH....
blackdragon480  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibazooka wrote:
It's great. I get it sometimes as well, but since I've been practicing strumming both up and down I mess everything up. Not so much the strumming but the fretbuttons.

But a good thing for me was to worry less about the notes and listen to the music instead. That was the key for me to pass CfH....

Yeah, it takes awhile before both hands are cooridinated enough to keep up with each other. The same thing happened when I first started practicing alternate picking on real guitar. Once you have enough experience doing a complex motion with both hands at the same time it'll become a breeze.
kriller  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this happened to me i was just playing and my fingers moved without me wanting them to and played it right
9.3mil[]
9.5mil[]
Chime  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me all the time on Amplitude. I think it's easier to let your eyes guide you in Amplitude 'cause of the lines that connects the notes. It happens to me at GH too, but not nearly as often
buMf00d  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i've played a song way too many times i don't even bother looking at the notes properly, i know sort of when they're going to come and how the rythm is, same with the solos, it's just a way to move my hands in the right motion and i have the solo perfected, I still haven't finished expert though but i am noticing getting loads better at the game.
UltraPants  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to debunk the idea of it all being a "phenomenon", but what you're all talking about is the development of kinetic memory from practice or familiarity (or learning). I've played saxophone for about 7 years now and DDR/ITG for 5, and it's all the same function.

Kinetic memory is most often stimulated visually (surprise surprise), and those who can play along perfectly without looking at the screen are stimulated by the sound/rhythm. It's similar to a "reflex", but reflexes are involuntary movements rather than conscious ones.

=X.
Anthony  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bill Nye.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Yes this happens to me too it's brilliant tho. Ive been doing BATM on Expert (i still cant beat it sigh! ) and ive been strumming notes like hell. I can play I Love Rock & Roll on Easy without looking at the screen anymore (yay!). Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: