Good Books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kill A Mocking Bird is the only book I've read more than once
iimeanyii  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently reading the homecoming series which is a series by Orson Scott Card (The writer of Enders Game) and so far it has been pretty good, the first book in the series is the Call of Earth if you're interested. But yeah if you are looking for some good books you should try Enders game, Enders Shadow, The Outsiders, or That was then this is now. Those are all extremely good books.
JeffyBIsOnPier19  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight Club and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk were completely awesome reads.
DrofMot  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
The Outsiders

/thread.
thecolonel  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenlarged wrote:

Same Goes for Dan brown, but specificaly Digital Fortress.

this.
but more specificly deception point. Wow its good.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: the colonel11
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iimeanyii wrote:
I am currently reading the homecoming series which is a series by Orson Scott Card (The writer of Enders Game) and so far it has been pretty good, the first book in the series is the Call of Earth if you're interested. But yeah if you are looking for some good books you should try Enders game, Enders Shadow, The Outsiders, or That was then this is now. Those are all extremely good books.

The Homecoming series is really excellent. I liked it better than the Ender series (not better than Ender's Game, mind, but Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, etc). And another of his series that liked even more than Homecoming is the Tales of Alvin Maker. It started off a bit slow but I was really enthralled a few books in. Unfortunately, though, the Alvin Maker series is as yet incomplete, while Homecoming is done.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
crazymonkey841  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Good Books Reply with quote

crazypianist1116 wrote:
I've seen various book threads lately so I'm going to try to lump all the future ones together into one thread. My question to you is have you read any good books lately? If so, what are they and what are they about?

I'm currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about the history of humanity from hunter-gatherer societies to where we are today.
We saw that as a documentary. It sucked balls and lasted too long. Good luck
entropymaxer  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shogun is a great book and so is King Rat both by Clavel (or something like that name)

My favorites are definatly Slaughterhouse 5 and The Fountainhead

Snow crash is a fun book too (wouda been a bunch better with about 90 pages edited out)

oh and Watchmen, best graphic novel ever
iimeanyii  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:

The Homecoming series is really excellent. I liked it better than the Ender series (not better than Ender's Game, mind, but Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, etc). And another of his series that liked even more than Homecoming is the Tales of Alvin Maker. It started off a bit slow but I was really enthralled a few books in. Unfortunately, though, the Alvin Maker series is as yet incomplete, while Homecoming is done.

Yeah I am on the fourth book right now and I agree the rest of the series about ender sorta sucks, but Enders Shadow and the books about Bean kicked ass.
Epox6000  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite book has to be "The Great Gatsby", by F.Scott Fitzgerald
crazypianist1116  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Good Books Reply with quote

crazymonkey841 wrote:
crazypianist1116 wrote:
I've seen various book threads lately so I'm going to try to lump all the future ones together into one thread. My question to you is have you read any good books lately? If so, what are they and what are they about?

I'm currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about the history of humanity from hunter-gatherer societies to where we are today.
We saw that as a documentary. It sucked balls and lasted too long. Good luck

Yeah it's non-fiction. I don't exactly know scorehero's preference of fiction to non-fiction. By the way, has anyone read any Kierkegaard or other existentialism stuff?
Romanticide  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-fiction:
Born on a Blue Day, by Daniel Tammet. It's unlike most books on its subject matter (Asperger's Syndrome) in that it doesn't read like the typical feel-good story. There are many ups and downs, and it's far and away the best book written by someone with AS. You'll be amazed at just how fast the guy can learn a language, specifically Icelandic.

I haven't read as many good fiction books lately as I used to. Maybe I'm just getting picky in my old age. The only thing I read ASAP is a new Koontz, and they tend to fail now. =/ I'll second The Fountainhead, and inb4Randsux.
underoath87  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cather in the MF Rye!

Great book. Really opens your eyes. I am pissed that they are removing it from more and more high schools. It honestly changed how I view reading, writing, the English language, and everyday life.

PSN: Chlamydiais1337
bballcenter7  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great book that I finally finished (on and off reading it for the past year) is Hawaii by James Michener. A very engrossing book about, well, Hawaii, hard to put down and very interesting

also, yes, Things Fall Apart sucks, as does The Pearl and The Red Pony, both by Steinbeck. Bleck

arthurychoi  

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bballcenter7 wrote:
a great book that I finally finished (on and off reading it for the past year) is Hawaii by James Michener. A very engrossing book about, well, Hawaii, hard to put down and very interesting

also, yes, Things Fall Apart sucks, as does The Pearl and The Red Pony, both by Steinbeck. Bleck

GRAPES OF WRATH AMIRITE?

I actually read quite a bit, and I finished reading 4-5 Ernest Hemingway books. I reccomend anything from him.

Also you might not like the idea, but reading some of Shakespeare's plays are fun. Julius Caear, King Lear, and Mark Antony come to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: