ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Game Reviews Written by Scorehero Members (Updated 11-17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkKnight720 wrote:
I'm playing through Final Fantasy 3 for the Nintendo DS right now. When I beat it, I'll edit this post. (I'm only 3 hours in )

I played through that game about a year and a half ago. It was a fun trip through, but I honestly can't remember anything specific about the story, characters, or gameplay. Nothing was particularly noteworthy about the game. The graphics were very pretty on the DS, but the game didn't make an impression on me. I imagine it would have been spectacular if I had played it on the NES (and understood it) at the time of its release, but it hasn't aged well.

"Power Surge," "Funk You," "Grindsaw Groove," and "DisorderlyConduct"
- all charted by dspoonrt

DarkKnight720  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
I played through that game about a year and a half ago. It was a fun trip through, but I honestly can't remember anything specific about the story, characters, or gameplay. Nothing was particularly noteworthy about the game. The graphics were very pretty on the DS, but the game didn't make an impression on me. I imagine it would have been spectacular if I had played it on the NES (and understood it) at the time of its release, but it hasn't aged well.

Well, at my stand point so far, it's alright, but not as good as I expected. I do really like the job system (Which is the reason why I loved V and X-2), but I don't completely understand it. What is the point of leveling a job up? How many hours did you beat the game in (if you can remember, that is)?

hallj05  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dspoonrt wrote:
Nice, hallj05. I was planning on reviewing EVO: Search For Eden soon. I've played through that game a number of times and always enjoy it. The graphics are colorful and lively, and the gameplay is simple, yet not quite monotonous. It's not your average 2-d platformer and not your average action rpg either, but the concoction works well. Great game.

Yeah it is a fun game, one of my friends was playing it while I was writing that review. Also you can write a review for it also if you want.

As everyone can tell my favorite system is the SNES, I think that I'll start hitting some of my rarer stuff next.

Also with the Final Fantasy games I've only played three of them (two of which I beat) Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS and Final Fantasy 3 on SNES (which is technically six if I remember right), while the other one that I've played and not beaten is the Tactics one on GBA.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: PC
Game: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal
Game Type: RPG/D&D Style
Overall Rank: 9.75/10

This game has a ton of customization, it is sorta like playing D&D but by yourself, while having control over the whole party. You can pick what class/sex/race/stats(by rolling dice)/appearance/alignment and a few that I'm probably forgetting and this is only at the beginning. You also can equip all sorts of items (weapons, shields, helms, shoes, rings, amulets, cloaks, belts, and armor) and for each of these there are a quite a few different kinds and then you have all the modified versions of each as in the +1, +2, ... , and quite a few magical variations.

The story is very good and your character can get special missions based on his class and these missions lead to you getting a place of your own, for example all the fighter classes get a castle/fort and the rangers get a cabin in the woods. This makes you want to play through it multiple times just for that alone, and not taking in to account that you can take different paths according to how your playing, and the game is never the same each time through since you can get different items, do things in different order, and so much more. Also their is a difficulty setting and normal setting is based of the D&D rules.

All the fighting goes in real time, you give the orders to your party and they do as you say. So basically you will want to pause and plan everything out so that you can get all your orders out before you get hit.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn hallj05 did both the games i was thinking about

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordAnarchy wrote:
damn hallj05 did both the games i was thinking about

You can do them also... Since games with multiple reviews will put more of an impression about the game, either that be good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Black and White (2001)
Developer: Lionhead
Game Type: God
Overall Rank: 8/10

The game Black and White is a god game where the players controls a hand. The player himself is a god. You can choose to be good or evil.
When you're good, you're temple gets tall and golden and your hand turns golden.
When you're evil, you're temple becomes dark-red and your hand red and cracked.
The player also gets to own a creature. The creature can be a Cow, Ape, Gorilla, Lion, Sheep, Zebra amongst others.
You also have two little guys advising you in-game. One is a demonic, chubby and likes to wreck havoc. He wants to make you evil. If you follow his advice, you'll become evil. The other one is a "god" like character, telling you to give your citizen food and do everything but to destroy.
There are 5 island the player travels to, with the ultimate goal of defeating the hostile god Kazar.
There are two types of missions on each island. Silver and Golden. Silver give bonuses and things, while golden make you continue on the island and eventually progress to another island.
The people of your towns fear you if your evil, but like you if your good. You can throw stones and objects at houses and destroy them. You can pick up trees.
Miracles are really the high-point of the game. They include lightning, fire, healing, water, food amongst others. Player can use them to help or destroy his town, or aid creatures in combat, or make other towns believe in the player.
The graphics are good. Look similar to Empire Earth. The zoom levels allows you to zoom into the level and out completely. You can rotate and pitch the camera at any angle.
All in all this is a good game. One of the best god game out there.
shooter21198  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: Super Nintendo
Game: Super Mario World
Game Type: Platform
Overall Rank: 9.9/10

You all have played this game before. Here's my experience with it. When I first played the original Super Mario Bros. Series I thought to myself how could this be improved. When the games came to the SNES is one single game I thought to myself this is the improvement Nintendo had to make. The game had all the good elements of and old Platformer game. The levels were and still are fun. The music is unforgettable. The replay value is a 10/10. My Personal favorite improvement is definitely the ability to use Yoshi

The only reason it gets a 9.9/10 is that the game is relatively easy for a seasoned veteran.

The love for this game is still strong. the good people at smwcentral.net set up mods and hacks for Super Mario World.

I'm not allowed to tell you how to hack the game so don't ask
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: shooter21198SH
dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: Neo Geo Pocket Color
Game: SNK Vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millenium
Game Type: Fighting
Overall Rating: 9.5/10

The fighting game has not fared too well over the years on portable game systems. Many arcade ports failed for the GameBoy, GameGear, and even the GameBoy Advance. However, Match of the Millenium stands tall as the definitive handheld fighter and could even contend as one of the best fighting games on any console.

Gameplay: The main portion of the game is 1-on-1, 2-on-2, or 3-on-3 vs. fighting. There are a ton of options and combinations of the main arcade experience, considering its portable nature. The controls are tight and responsive, especially due to the NGPC's arcade-style joystick. Commands are easy to execute on the joystick and although the NGPC only has two buttons, the controls work flawlessly. The game judges how hard you press the A or B button and decides whether to use a weak or strong punch or kick.

Graphics: The graphics are strong for a portable game, featuring big character sprites and lush, colorful backgrounds. Super Moves look great and all the move animations are perfect.

Extras: The game features a game within the game called the SC Olympic mode where players can compete at numerous mini-games for points to purchase even better Super Moves (and also medals/high scores). These mini-games are fun as hell and offer a lot of variety from a shooting gallery to a rhythm game to some fighting challenges such as First Hit and Survival Mode Challenges. I found myself playing this portion of the game more than the main portion of the game, which is completely solid in its own right.

Replay Value: Considering there are two huge portions of the game, so many mini-games, separate storylines for each of the fighting modes (1-on-1, 2-on-2, and 3-on-3), connectability with other Neo Geo Pockets for Vs. Modes, and a horde of characters to choose from the replay value is almost endless.

Overall: This game is a must-have for any Neo Geo Pocket Color owner or any fighting game fan, in general. There's just so much in this tiny cartridge and everything that is there is close to perfection. 9.5 out of 10.

dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: SNK Vs. Capcom: Card Fighters' Clash
Game Type: Card Battling
Overall Rating: 9.75/10

I'd like to start by saying that I'm not really even into card battling. I never liked Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh cards, card battling games, etc. SVC: Card Fighters' Clash, which went on to have an unfortunate US follow-up on the Nintendo DS, is an exception, however, due to its simple battle system and nostlagic characters.

Gameplay: The gameplay is simple - you have a deck of cards (made up of character cards, which are your primary attackers and build Soul Points when brought into battle, and action cards which cost Soul Points to use and help your cause in various ways) and you face other in-game characters or your friends in a turn-based card battle to win more cards to improve your deck. The story is pretty basic and so is the gameplay. However, the battle system is so simple, so tight, and so logical that it is extremely addictive. There are 300 cards in all, so there is a ton of variety and strategy that comes into the mix.

Graphics: The graphics are bright, colorful, and the battle animations are simple, yet effective. The character artwork on the cards is where the graphics shine. They're brilliant and give more perspective on characters I've loved for years.

Replay Value: The in-game story mode is very long and takes a lot of practice and patience to beat. This mode never truly ends, though, and allows you to keep battling every character in the game to gain more cards. Some cards are very rare and take hundreds of hours to encounter, so if you want them all there is a lot of replay value. One of the biggest joys is encountering new cards to see which classic SNK or Capcom character you'll see next.

Overall: This game is the reason to purchase a Neo Geo Pocket Color. Its simple charm is addictive and quite fulfilling. I never get tired of this game. I've never known a person to play the game and not enjoy it. I've never seen a bad review of it. This game is crack. Period. 9.75 out of 10.

dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Cool Boarders Pocket
Game Type: Arcade-style Snowboarding
Overall Rating: 6.5/10

Cool Boarders Pocket is one of the games I sought after the most when amassing my NGPC game library. It has its moments, but ends up as a disappointment considering the hefty price tag and rare status.

Gameplay: The gameplay is simple and monotonous. You move down a mountain following your snowboarder from an 2-d overhead, isometric angle. You can move left or right, kneel down to gain speed, and jump. Depending on how long you prepare for a jump (by holding down the B button), you can jump higher and farther, as well as spinning in the air (you can augment your spin speed by spinning the joystick while you're in the air, as well). But, overall, the controls are very simple. The controls are responsive, but the level design is where the game fails. There are about 100 levels if I recall and damn it if there aren't five unique ones. The gameplay consists of avoiding trees and polar bears, while jumping over holes and rocks. This could be exciting, but fails in its monotony.

Graphics: The graphics are actually very good. The characters and stages are detailed. Nothing is spectacular, though, just adequate.

Replay Value: There are a ton of stages, a free ride mode, and a survival mode, so there technically is a lot of replay value, but you won't want to spend the amount of time with this game that it takes to complete all the stages and get extremely far in the survival mode. I did. There were no rewards or anything. Game over.

Overall: The game is a mediocre, early 90s-style arcade snowboarding game. Simple controls, gameplay, etc. means that nothing is wrong with the game. It just isn't exceptional in any way. Besides, the game was only released in Japan and Europe, and the European version of the game goes for a lot. I got mine off Ebay years ago for about $40 and today, you'd be lucky to find a copy at all, no matter the price. Don't waste your time tracking this one down or completing it. 6.5 out of 10.

dspoonrt  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Magical Drop Pocket
Game Type: Puzzle
Overall rating: 8.5/10

This is the portable port of the Magical Drop games, which appeared on the Neo Geo and were ported to the Super Famicom, Sega Saturn, and Sony Playstation.

Gameplay: The game features Bust-A-Move-esque gameplay, only instead of shooting bubbles at same-colored bubbles to pop them, you must gather up bubbles of the same color and throw them at one another to pop them. The gameplay gets fast and fierce, but always keeps its simple charm and pick up and play mentality. There are three modes: Story Mode, Survival Mode, and Vs. Mode, which should keep an interested gamer busy.

Graphics: The graphics aren't great, but are suitable for the quick and simple gameplay. They're probably the weakest aspect of the game, but they're not bad.

Replay Value: There are a few modes and tons of puzzles to get through. Even getting good at the game takes a bit of time in itself. There isn't a lot, but there is replay value. It's fun to just pick it up and play for 10 or 15 minutes here and there.

Overall: It's one of the best puzzle game on the system, and there are quite a few of them. If you're a fan of the series, it's worth seeking a copy out. 8.5 out of 10.

Romanticide  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hallj05 wrote:
As everyone can tell my favorite system is the SNES, I think that I'll start hitting some of my rarer stuff next.

Likewise. Most of my games aren't horribly obscure, but I'll probably start with a few favorites anyway.

Platform: SNES
Game: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Genre: RPG
Overall: 8/10

While the Lufia series is fairly known, especially to SNES fans, it doesn't get the love that titles Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FF3, and so on do. The Lufia series separates itself from many other RPGs of the era with its focus on the party's relationships and its willingness to change drastically from title to title. Lufia I/The Fortress of Doom (aka this game) plays like a typical RPG, where Lufia II plays like Zelda with trickier puzzles and turn-based battles. From what little I played of the portable games, they take the changes in other directions, but I didn't find them as enjoyable.

Gameplay works like most typical RPGs. You have your world map, and you will often have many random encounters. Sometimes you'll get away with few to none, but don't count on it. This can get frustrating at times, especially when you've fought something like your twentieth Zombie and are about to croak. Dungeons are just like the world map - more random encounters, though there is a boss in major areas of the game. Luckily there are ways to avoid a lot of random encounters, or even to encourage them if need be. There are few puzzles in the game, but a lot of dungeons are a maze of sorts. Prepare to get lost a few times. Fighting can be a bit cumbersome. You are targeting one species of enemy, and you do not know which member of said species you will hit until you hit. If there are none of that species left, you miss. Bows can hit every enemy of the same species, but they are a little weaker and only one character can equip them. Magic can target one random enemy, one group of enemies, or every enemy on-screen - it depends on the spell. It can also be offensive, supportive, or healing. While the fighting system ensures that you will need strategy to win, I would rather target specific enemies. Bosses in this game range from insanely easy (the first fights, to get you used to the gameplay) to pray-for-a-miracle difficult (the Guardian, especially without Boost). However, most are near the middle to upper end of difficulty, which makes for a good challenge. You buy, sell, find, equip, and use items like usual. Anyone who's played even just one RPG should figure out the item and equipment systems fairly fast.

The graphics aren't superb by SNES standards, but they get the job done, even if a lot of enemies in the late game just have different colors and statistics. Each spell has its own animation, though, and most are pretty well done considering the time the game was made. I wouldn't go into this expecting it to look like its sequel, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, or Star Ocean, to mention a few of the best-looking SNES titles. The music is quite decent imo, but it doesn't have very many tracks that are exceptional. Flying music is pretty cool, though; I often fly like an idiot just to hear it. I would probably recommend popping in your own music if you don't want to hear the battle music, the map music, the town music, amongst other tracks, over and over again. I don't have track names in front of me, sue me.

Replay value: The game has an extra mode if you enter a certain name for your character. This mode gives you 4x experience and gold after a fight, making it easier to level up and get rich. However, it makes the game too easy and you can buy godly equipment (well, for that point) by the time you get a ship. Use if you want to beat it fast and easy. Even though I know every plot twist and most of the good lines in the game, I'll still play through the game just for its story, laughs, the bittersweet ending (seems common in Lufia games), etc.

I must mention one annoying technical problem with the cart: Files will likely get randomly deleted. I do not know why. If it doesn't bother you to see your Lv. 99 characters with Might weapons/armor disappear, which I have had happen, then ignore this problem. I bump it down half a point for this because I've lost many an epic file and then have lost the drive to play for a while.

Overall/tl;dr: It's a fun game with a story that makes it better and more enjoyable than most of its peers. The fighting system can be a bit frustrating, but can be adapted to. Graphics and music aren't the best ever, but they work and are well done. There's replay value, especially if you enjoyed the story. It's not the most exceptional title for the system, but it does everything competently and is fun to play through more than once. It has a cart problem that is both mysterious and bothersome, but if you can deal with it, buy it. You'll likely not find it for much less than $40, but I think it is worth it if you're a fan of this kind of game.

Obviously, Lufia II is next for me unless someone else wants it.

Last edited by Romanticide on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System: Super Nintendo
Game: Top Gear
Game Type: Racing
Overall Rank: 8/10

This is by far the best racing game for the SNES, and for good reasons.

Graphics - 8

You have to play in split scree, and that causes slowdown in the system (unless overclocked ) in various parts of the game. But, overall, the graphics are awesome. The cars are detailed, there's different scenery on all of the tracks, the obstacles on the road are clear to see, and when you're going fast enough, the dotted lines start to go backwards.

Gameplay - 9

The gameplay is amazing, lots of options too. You can pick from 4 cars, and 4 different controller options, including one where you have the controller upside down. The game is fast paced, you really feel like you're going fast or slow and not just by the scenery that's whizzing by. The fuel ratio per car is spot on from what they advertise on the descriptions, the game can be very hard as well. The best part, the computer does not have any kind of a superman or rubber band effect, they actually go their true speeds. The only downfall, you don't get accounted for damage, your car always looks new. But hey, its an arcade racer, its not supposed to be realistic.

Sound - 9

The sound is amazing, the music is even better. I even have a couple track midi's as a ringtone on my phone. However, its the same 4 tracks over and over. If you don't like it, you might want to put the game on mute, but if you love the music like I do, its amazing.

Overall - 8/10

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the massive amounts of different racing type of fans. Its an arcade feel of a racing game, and for back in the snes days, its still amazing. I prefer it over most racing games today, just because of the competition, and mainly, no rubber band or superman effect on the computer players. Its a must play, if you haven't played it, go get it. Its on ebay for like $6 and you can get a snes cheap too.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game: Team Fortress 2
Game Type: First Person Shooter
Overall Rank: 9/10

This game is *very* team based, but with the right server, this game can be amazing.

Graphics - 8/10

I'm not a huge fan of cell shading, but this game pulls it off quite nicely. The water looks amazing, the maps are very detailed, and the characters, omg the characters. When you see a heavy smiling firing a huge ass machine gun... its just epic.

Gameplay - 10/10

I have to give this a perfect 10 for several reasons. First off, the amount of classes you can pick from. You can do *anything* that you so desire, from sniper to medic, from being a fast scout with a double jump, to a heavy wielding a huge machine gun. You can be a demoman, engineer to build turrets and teleporters, a spy that you can disguise as an enemy, then backstab him, and more.

Also, gameplay has to deal with the servers that you join. Its hard to find a good server, and I can't remember the one server (i'm at work) that I normally play on, but I will list it here. *very* good people on the server, games last a long time, we're talking, over an hour or so of battling before someone can breech defenses.

Sounds - 10/10

The sounds are amazing, from the dings you get when you do a critical hit, to the chants and cheers that all the different characters make, to the bloop sounds of the demo man, just everything is... perfect. It definitely fits the character of the game.

Overall - 9/10

What gave it the 9 was the server part. Unless you're on a good server, its just kinda fun. Once you get a really good server where the action is really intense, its amazing.

I am MightySquirrel on steam, come join me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: