ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
strange "chorus" effect on custom songs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seepeearr  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: strange "chorus" effect on custom songs Reply with quote

quick question (haven't been able to find anything concrete about this)..

i've been experiencing strange audio distortion similar to a chorus, or several copies of the same track playing at the same time; both on my own importings and also on keyboardsamurai's (a.k.a mr. small penis) 'version' of the game... i believe this is probably related to the import process when the mp3 is turned into a vgs, as filling in the default values in each box instead of "Silence" in GHEx ends up importing and overlapping several copies of the song on top of itself (instead of mixing the separate tracks like it should)...

is there any way to avoid doing this without breaking things?

i believe each song has separate parametres for this and some songs lack certain channels? (correct me if i'm wrong)

(if you don't know what i'm referring to, i will try and clarify, but for the moment i have to leave for work :P)
katamakel  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you only assign channels 0/1 (the "band" channels) or you avoid whammying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katamakel wrote:
Either you only assign channels 0/1 (the "band" channels) or you avoid whammying.

On the topic of the whammy glitch, what causes it really?
Riz  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an artifact of the way the code works that does the pitch shifting when you use the whammy bar. It doesn't show up when you are playing an "official" song, because only the guitar tracks get pitch shifted, while the rest of the band plays normally. When people put exactly the same audio on both the guitar track and the band track, when you pitch shift just one of them, you in effect end up with two pieces of audio playing at the same time, one of which is slightly out of phase (and key) to the other, and it creates that effect.

Riz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riz wrote:
Riz.

The glitch I get is different.
When I hit whammy, the guitar track dies leaving a quiet band track.
Skrot  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost the same problem, my game loads slow as hell, sometimes it has to load during songs, and the echo comes in a few seconds after the start of the song. Is the solution to only assign 0 and 1 when importing a mp3?
seepeearr  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see...

am i correct in assuming that only assigning the 0/1 chans would result in no sound AT ALL being played when notes are missed?

also, i'm not that great with audio, but how hard would it be to come up with some kind of filter (like the ones used in voice removal/isolation technology) in order to separate (at least somewhat) the guitar track and the rest of the songs?

i'm aware this is highly song-dependant, and depends a lot on other sounds playing at the same time, but is it a possibility? or incredibly out of reach?

while i'm at it, i have another question, this related to song import/export and synching: if i go and extract the small handful of properly-injected songs off of keyboardsamurai's "repack", can i just reimport the MID/VGS combo directly into another fresh copy of GH2 without needing to worry about offsets, etc.., since the MP3->VGS conversion has already taken place? (basically what i'm asking is, is the offset nothing more than a cutting off of the starting few miliseconds or padding the start with silence, or is it rather a variable inside the VGS file format that is read and applied to the sound contained within it every time?)

thanks
katamakel  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seepeearr wrote:
am i correct in assuming that only assigning the 0/1 chans would result in no sound AT ALL being played when notes are missed?

No. if you only assign 0/1 then the song will always play.
The behaviour you're describing is for only assigning 2/3.

Quote:
also, i'm not that great with audio, but how hard would it be to come up with some kind of filter (like the ones used in voice removal/isolation technology) in order to separate (at least somewhat) the guitar track and the rest of the songs?

Let's just say that software that does this perfectly doesn't exist (at least not to my knowledge) and the things that do exist are cumbersome to work with and very very expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: