SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
World Cup (Chat)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genga  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was all good

Next up is the Rugby World Cup, Thats how American Football should be played, basically kicking an oval ball around a park to score trys in stead of touchdowns and running out with no protection (if you didnt know)

England won it last time, Ill be sporting them again next year

then the European Cup, where Italy will try hold their reign as the best team in Europe now, as well as being the best team in the world. Its better as theres no Argentina and Brazil, so its more open :P

We still have the UEFA Champions Leage every year where Glasgow Rangers and Arsenal take place in winning the cup, so its still good for us

what do you folk across the pond have too look forward to? Baseball and American Football? We get the Superbowl on here, but Ive no clue when it is (unless its passed?)
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chime wrote:

What happened to Zidane?? Complete mental breakdown... Pure stupidity. A red card isn't enough punishment for what he did

Complete breakdown indeed. I have no sympathy for stupidity and it won't start here. Regardless if what Materazzi said it was inexcusable, (and no I don't believe nipple tweaks did it) the physical retaliation was the dumbest thing I've seen since Tyson tried to eat Holyfield's ear as an hors d'oeuvre.

AP wrote:
The Paris-based anti-racism advocacy group SOS-Racism issued a statement Monday quoting "several very well informed sources from the world of football" as saying Materazzi called Zidane a "dirty terrorist." It demanded that FIFA investigate and take any appropriate action.

Materazzi, meanwhile, was quoted as denying the terrorist comment.

"It is absolutely not true, I didn't call him a terrorist, I don't know anything about that," the Italian news agency ANSA quoted Materazzi as saying when he arrived with his team at an Italian military airfield.

I'm sort of torn between what constitutes "dirty versus fair play" only because I make a distinction between competitive levels. Would this kind of comment be acceptable in the Minor Leagues or at a company softball match? Absolutely not. Is it acceptable in the World Cup with everything riding on one final game? DAMN RIGHT!

I won't go as far as to adopt the "if you're not cheating, you're not trying", but the fact is cheating exists everywhere you look in sports. Corked bats (baseball), faked dives (football), engine mods (racing), irregular equipment (hockey), steroids (all of them). I certainly DESPISE the use of these tactics but what Materazzi is completely different and was BRILLIANT, even if it was intentional, crass, and ignorant.

You ask any professional athlete about "getting in someone's head" and it will be unanimous. If you're the victim of it, your game suffers. Materazzi pushed Zidane's buttons just enough to get him to do something stupid. I really don't care what was said. If he said his mother is a whore and his kids are ugly, Zidane might have ignored it. What ever was said gave the Italians an edge.

Was it good sportsmanship, probably not. Was it a calculated tactical move, probably. Was it illegal, absolutely not.

It was Zidane's mistake to make and boy did he make it! I have no sympathy for him and there is absolutely NO REASON he can come up with to justify his actions in this incident. Damn shame, because he is truly a great player.

I do believe the stories that he is an upstanding person and that soon this also will be water under the bridge. Now that he's retired, I'm sure his disposition and reputation will undoubtably allow him to regain the favors of fans. Cream rises to the top.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
gweeto  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

discgolferpro wrote:

Apart from the sub-par refereeing, I enjoyed the entire World Cup myself also. Congrats Gweeto! You get a whole plateful!

Mmmmmm

Those look like Timmies Cookies.

I'll wash them down with a Double Double

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats gweeto, nice predictions. i didnt put my predictions on here, but the predictions i made were terrible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: