ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Wanna borrow my time machine? There are some stipulations...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheThirdDay  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
youhas wrote:
I frequently suffer from wanderlust myself; I am working towards a lifelong goal of visiting every county in the U.S..)
I see I'm from 1 of the 3 counties in NJ you missed (Ocean).

Woot Ocean County.

youhas wrote:
Of course, it's not a perfect situation. Once you snap back, your life may seem a little drab. [ . . . ] Every movie and TV show that comes out for the next five years is a stale retread to you; every dippy meme and catchphrase you've long since gotten over, you get to experience anew.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone use this to their advantage. No one going back and "writing" Stairway to Heaven? No one going forward in time, finding an amazing band that has yet to form, learning all their music, then going back to the real universe and spend your real life accumulating the fame and fortune they did, seeing as how you can play their music for the world before they even write it?

Back to the original thought of not taking the time trip, it may be a good decision. After the five years are up, you have to go back to your old life. That could be the hardest part of all. It's been mentioned that you can go back and change your past. Let's say you go back a year ago, kill yourself in the pocket universe (MINDFUCK), and take over your pocket-universe's-selves life, so you can have a second chance. You go and, with the knowledge you have now, get that girl you love to date you, eventually falling in love with you. You're inseparable. Years go by. You get married, have a child. You couldn't be more happy.

Your five years are now up, and you are thrust back into your old lonely life. How do you cope with this knowing that all could never happen again?

This could make a fantastic movie.

One further question. Let's say you die in the pocket universe. What happens to the real you? Does the sequence abort and you are instantly brought back to the real world? Are you dead for good, and if this happens, at the end of the five years, does nothing happen or is your half decayed corpse sent back to real time? Or possibly, are you dead in the pocket universe, but still alive in the real universe, so for the rest of your time trip you're trapped in an abysmal darkness? Or maybe you can go see god and see what the afterlife is really like, which religion is right? If you do meet god, then go back to living in the real universe, would god still remember meeting you in the alternate universe? Gods are supposed to be all knowing, after all. If God didn't, could you outgod god? Could you use your, and only your, knowledge of the future to predict what god will do? How will god react?

I am soooooo off topic now.
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
One further question. Let's say you die in the pocket universe. What happens to the real you? Does the sequence abort and you are instantly brought back to the real world? Are you dead for good, and if this happens, at the end of the five years, does nothing happen or is your half decayed corpse sent back to real time? Or possibly, are you dead in the pocket universe, but still alive in the real universe, so for the rest of your time trip you're trapped in an abysmal darkness? Or maybe you can go see god and see what the afterlife is really like, which religion is right? If you do meet god, then go back to living in the real universe, would god still remember meeting you in the alternate universe? Gods are supposed to be all knowing, after all. If God didn't, could you outgod god? Could you use your, and only your, knowledge of the future to predict what god will do? How will god react?
It's the real you being taken back, so if you die in the pocket universe, you're really dead and you aren't brought back to life unless reincarnation is the correct theory of what happens when we die. I'd imagine that your corpse/ashes/mummified body would be sent back either at the end of the 5 years or immediately following your death since there's no real reason to keep you around in the pocket universe while dead unless you're getting the Lenin treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheThirdDay wrote:
Your five years are now up, and you are thrust back into your old lonely life. How do you cope with this knowing that all could never happen again?

Couldn't you just kill yourself in the pocket universe? I mean that all depends on what you asked below about "what happens when you die?" Either way it's a tough choice what I would want to do. I mean I would be very tempted to do what you described, because I figure getting to live part of my life I fucked up again would be SO worth it, but then the pain from losing it after five years would be unbearable. I would probably just want to die and not deal with it.

Alternatively, if you want to redo something that happened recently, I suppose you could go back in time recently enough that within the five years you could end up at the point where you have the choice to go back in time again, and, well...

It would sort of be like a sci-fi Groundhog Day.

TheThirdDay wrote:
This could make a fantastic movie.

Yes, yes it fucking would. And it'd be 1000x better than a CGI 3D remake of another old franchise that was a parody of a franchise that used to exist in the 60s that already got a remake in 2009.

Go write that script, NOW.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use the time machine to go back 5 minutes in time, and then in 5 minutes in the pocket universe get the time machine, go back 5 minutes from there, etc., a bunch of times, so then when your tons of 5 year periods finally end, you come back to the real world being like 200 years old, defying all physics and baffling scientists?
11yearoldkid  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
Could you use the time machine to go back 5 minutes in time, and then in 5 minutes in the pocket universe get the time machine, go back 5 minutes from there, etc., a bunch of times, so then when your tons of 5 year periods finally end, you come back to the real world being like 200 years old, defying all physics and baffling scientists?

You could do this, but your original universe stops time, so when you go back, nothing has happened (if I understand correctly). So the only thing you've done is create 50 or so independent pocket universes.

TEN THOUSANNNNNNND!
My life.
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said, though, when you come back, you're 5 years older. So assuming that rule takes effect in pocket universes when you use the time machine, you'd come back to the real world x times 5 number of years tacked on to your original age.
prognostics  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make things simpler, why don't we just assume that if we die one year in, we wake up one year later?
So all this infinite regress can't happen... when you die you wake up forward however many days/months/years you spent in the pocket universe.
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go 5 years before society took a turn for the worst (11 years ago, haha). Seriously though, I'd go to like the year 3409 because the technology would be awesome.

3926 0220 0199 1364
thecolonel  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the fact that I couldn't affect my home universe, I would definitely use my knowledge of the future for monetary gain, then spend five years partying it up with millions of dollars. One idea (the easiest) would be to look up some lottery numbers.

I would also spend time fucking with minds. Dress up like them crazies wearing the signs saying "the end is nigh"- however be more specific. Predict assassinations and the like.

Or hang with the Native Peoples and show them my iPod. I could realistically die here if they diddnt like the magic. I would like to show DaVinci or some great mind and watch them try to find out how my cell phone works. Church wouldn't like that one. I still like my first idea of partying with no consequences and having money.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: the colonel11
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecolonel wrote:
Because of the fact that I couldn't affect my home universe, I would definitely use my knowledge of the future for monetary gain, then spend five years partying it up with millions of dollars. One idea (the easiest) would be to look up some lottery numbers.
OR you could go to the future and find out what the winning lottery numbers were, wait five years, then become rich in the not side universe.

3926 0220 0199 1364
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prognostics wrote:
To make things simpler, why don't we just assume that if we die one year in, we wake up one year later?
So all this infinite regress can't happen... when you die you wake up forward however many days/months/years you spent in the pocket universe.
The pocket universe isn't a simulation. It's actually you in the past/future. If you die there, you're actually dead; there's no waking up later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I know that demand for my machine is high, and everyone wants to try the whole recursive-pocket-universes thing out... but dude, I throttle that shit. Last time I tried running experiments looking into it, The Fates made it amply clear that they were not pleased. So you get your five year trip, but that's the end of the line; wait until you're back and put yourself at the end of the queue if you want another go at things. House rules; sorry. (Given projected demand levels, you should probably assume you're just getting the one five-year trip, too. Make it count!)

Sarg338 wrote:
Which makes me ask this question: Would people back in your original time notice that you are 5 years older? Would your Drivers license, other documents say you were born 5 years earlier than you were?

Yes, folks notice that you've aged five years "overnight". Right now, there's a whole mess of paperwork that gets filled out on your behalf to annotate the whole five-year discrepancy - little asterisks denoting as much on your birth certificate and driver's license and the like. It's something of a hassle; I've been toying with the idea of tweaking the machine so the five year trip deposits you five years from present day as well. (Which makes "I want to take a five year time-travel trip!" much more analogous to "I want to spend five years backpacking around Europe!" It has its pros and cons. Still mulling this over for future revisions the equipment.)

b.vicious wrote:
to me that just sounds like death, because say I want to exceed the 50 miles, my car breaks down before it, then i start to walk, then my legs break, then i start to crawl, my arms break, then i start to roll, the only thing i can think of from there is i die.

Oh, fate has a more nuanced touch than that. Maybe you get dizzy, black out, and wake up to find that kindly passers-by brought you back to the town hospital. Maybe the local cops mistake you for an assailant and bring you back to the station. Maybe the folks you were trying to leave town to see conveniently happened to be coming down the road the other way to see you instead. Lots of ways there from here.

joekickass1234 wrote:
thecolonel wrote:
One idea (the easiest) would be to look up some lottery numbers.
OR you could go to the future and find out what the winning lottery numbers were, wait five years, then become rich in the not side universe.

The problem with lottery numbers is that the moment you beam into a universe, you start affecting it. Even if you don't intend to, you're constantly interacting with people and places, causing things to diverge from the way things "should" work out - a phone call being placed seconds later, someone making a green light rather than being stopped at a red, that sort of thing. Which makes it super easy for something "known" like lotto numbers to end up "wrong". "I timed my beaming so I was only 30 minutes from when the draw happened, where I was on the other side of the state, and spent those 30 minutes quietly laying in a field by myself" might be sufficient buffer. Might. It's still pretty chancy, though.

(A weird side consequence of things: you can affect things even if you had zero intent to. You beamed into New York City in 1961 because you wanted to see firsthand your great uncle's delicatessen... and somehow this causes JFK to not be assassinated in Dallas two years later. Or, alternatively, that Jackie gets killed in the event as well. Chaos can be super fickle about this stuff sometimes.)

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
youhas wrote:
I frequently suffer from wanderlust myself; I am working towards a lifelong goal of visiting every county in the U.S..)
I see I'm from 1 of the 3 counties in NJ you missed (Ocean).

The sad part being that I've probably been there - we visited family around the state when I was 9 or so - but can't definitively note the occasion, so I don't count it. (I have the same issue with two counties, one in New Mexico and one in Wisconsin, where if I'd swerved onto or stopped for gas on the other side of the road, that'd net me a county... but I can't recall, so I assume I didn't. Sigh.)

Southparkhero wrote:
Do you have the blank map? I tried looking on google, and I couldn't find one with stuff already on it =/

I know there are users on that site who've visited zero counties, so their maps are still blank and usable as templates. Hopefully this will suffice.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
So you get your five year trip, but that's the end of the line; wait until you're back and put yourself at the end of the queue if you want another go at things. House rules; sorry. (Given projected demand levels, you should probably assume you're just getting the one five-year trip, too. Make it count!)
But if at the end of the 5 years your teleported to the very same instant that you left would that mean the queue would go by insanely fast? Taking into account time to pack and unpack the machine with whatever supplies you intend to bring, maybe it takes an hour tops for someone to take their trip. You could handle a multitude of people each day, especially considering that a good chunk of people won't need that full hour for packing and unpacking the machine. Theoretically, you could handle a hundred people in an hour if none of them are bringing more than a suitcase or two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering youhas; can we get a bathroom in the time machine? Going back in the past doesn't agree with my bladder.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 1st, 1977.

The Atari 2600 just came out in October of 1977, and I'd love to be able to experience the release date of the system, clear to the next 5 years, and to experience the epic arcades that used to exist.

The golden age lasted till 1983, so I'd be coming back to the present right when the golden age was ending. <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: